Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Bruising easily  (Read 215 times)

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bruising easily
« on: August 16, 2014, 02:53:47 PM »
Does anyone bruise easily and if so, is there a particular reason why?

I have bruised easily for years and it's concerning to me.  I have asked two doctors what might cause this and one said it's hormonal and another said it's probably good circulation.  Those answers don't help me at all.

I look around when I'm out and rarely see anyone else with bruises on their arms and legs.  I have to be so careful that I don't bump my arms or legs on anything because within minutes a bruise will develop and it takes WEEKS to go away. 

Any ideas why someone would bruise so easily? I have a blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden but that thickens your blood.  One doctor told me that bruising easily would have nothing to do with the disorder. 

As I sit here with a bruise on both upper arms from banging into things on our vacation, it just made me wonder if anyone else has this problem and if not, does anyone know why I might have this problem?

Thank you.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline Stinaliza

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Photography keeps me sain!
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bruising easily
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 03:17:42 PM »
Yep, I know what that's like. I've been like that forever and never given it much thought (which is weird considering everything else freaks me out). But it's really annoying always having bruises on the legs, especially in the summer :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 07:36:50 AM »
Oh wow do I bruise easily!!  Once when leaning over the pool (my arms pressing the sides) my entire arms from the elbow on up where bruised!  (I get bruised more easily from my skin being PRESSED rather than HIT)   When I worked in an office and had the garbage pail under my desk my shins would press against it and my shins would be a mass of bruises.  I just had a wisdom tooth out and it looks like someone socked my square in the jaw, I have a big ugly red/blue/black bruise on my face!  I heard from others that it could be lack of Vitamin C.  I never tried to take any to see, but if you aren't adverse to taking vitamins like that, try it!  I had this problem my entire life, I'm 55 - no worse for the bruising.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »
Whew....well, I'm glad I"m not alone with this>

It's really frustrating.  I've even bruised my palm before from just lifting a box.  Crazy!

Sunlover, one of my doctors did mention once that maybe I needed Vitamin C.  I do not take a multivitamin but I may give it a try.  That would be wonderful if it helped. 

If the bruises went away within a day or two, I could handle it but the 3-4 weeks of waiting for it to disappear is the worst.

Thanks both of you for replying. 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »
I just thought I would add to this and say that I also bruise like a peach. I've brought it up to my doctor a couple times and he had absolutely no concern over the matter at all. I'm not sure what causes it, or if sometimes we are doing things to develop bruises and not even realizing.
Most of the time my bruises are small or at least average sized, I think it truly only becomes a worry if you start developing completely random large bruises that you can absolutely no recall anything at all that would have caused it.

Anyway - I'm definitely in the bruising easily club  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:20:56 AM »
Whew....well, I'm glad I"m not alone with this>

It's really frustrating.  I've even bruised my palm before from just lifting a box.  Crazy!

Sunlover, one of my doctors did mention once that maybe I needed Vitamin C.  I do not take a multivitamin but I may give it a try.  That would be wonderful if it helped. 

If the bruises went away within a day or two, I could handle it but the 3-4 weeks of waiting for it to disappear is the worst.

Thanks both of you for replying. 

I hear ya about the waiting for a bruise to disappear!   The one of my face from the wisdom tooth removal still continues to spread and get worse, it is SO embarrassing going out!  Make up does nothing because the bruise is so dark!  Online it says it could take up to 2 weeks to fade to a yellow or green color!  Nice!  GRRRR!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »
Oh my goodness! I would be beside myself if I had a bruise on my face. 

Mine do go through those color changes from dark to a greenish yellow and like you said, makeup does nothing because they are so dark.  I've tried putting some on my leg bruises but they actually stand out more.

Do you take a multivitamin or any vitamin C? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:47:44 AM »
I don't take any vitamins, no.  When I was young every time I'd start taking vitamins I'd get a bad cold!  (ridiculous but true!) so I stopped that many, many years ago.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: