Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I keep feeling dizzy  (Read 18197 times)

Online Mairi

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I keep feeling dizzy
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »
Ha, definitely keeps us out of trouble!  Same with me, I'm being raised with trad, and if I ever was caught listening to something else...  :laugh3:
And it does make me quite proud when I see today's kids still playing this music. Ever realised how our conversations always end up being about this sort of thing? ;-D
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 210
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 05:36:26 AM »
Think Irish people love to talk music. For such a small Country we have a lot of talented singers. Music is relaxing as well. So if that ends up been the topic every time, I am happy with that. Take the mind off of other things. But feel free to talk about whatever you like. You know us for having the gift of the gab. We'd talk about horse shite if we had to.  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 06:49:43 AM »
Not sure if you have heard this poem before. Written by Bobby Sands when he was on hunger strike. Try to picture a small dark cold prison cell. He wrote on tiny pieces of paper that were smuggled out of prison. It is such a haunting poem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IbwgnfIW_Y
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Online Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 11:29:39 AM »
 It is truly haunting. Sort of gave me goose pimples. I was trying to imagine him writing it, like you said, in a prison cell. Sad things that happened back then. And haha! I wouldn't rather talk about anything else. Music is my obsession! Now to find something to show you...
Bookmark and Share

Online Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »
Found something! First one is "A Stor Mo Chroi". It is about emigration. I listened to it a lot last summer. It was sung at a little concert I went to last August that was at the same place the concert I posted about recently was. Again, the performers and the audience all knew each other, as as often is the case! But I remember the man who sung this telling us to imagine the people long ago and how they would sing these songs before someone emigrated, knowing they would probably never see the emigrant again. And when he sang this, the only sounds were his voice and the gentle sound of the flute between verses, and it seemed that for those brief moments everyone went back in time for a while. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AS8lta9Ddk
Also love this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HOhqKrmfvY
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »
I will tell you what I love about that type of singing. You need a good voice to be able to sing such songs. That's what makes the songs beautiful. It is a gift to be able to sing minus the music. On weekends on the radio here there does be a show on that has a lot of that type of stuff. It can make me drift off. I am nearly certain it is Raidió na Gaeltachta because you never hear a word of English spoken. They play other folk music from other countries as well. But most of what they play is in Gaelic. Is relaxing to listen to. I recall a programme on TV called ' Hands '. Old video footage of times long since gone. The women fixing the fishing nets and singing their songs as they worked. Would be a village thing. One takes up the lead and they all join in with the chorus. The programme was about old skills that have long since died off. In other words people doing things by hand. Crafts that would probably be done using a computer or a machine today. The people were so gifted back then. I remember getting a chance one to try make a basket once used thatched reeds. Talk about hard. Yet on one of these programmes we saw a man making one in a matter of minutes. Didn't have to look at what he was doing. Think the word is ' skill '. I wonder at times if life would have been better back then. Not as much by way of TV or computers or even cars. I know life was tougher. The people seemed more at peace in their living. Where I live is a concrete jungle. Noise, noise, noise and even more noise. Is good to listen to such music and let the mind drift backwards in time. To another age. Going to post a song by Runrig. They are from Scotland. They do have a lot of modern tracks. But they also sing a lot of tribal sort of songs. In honour of the Clans of old Scotland. The only other place I ever lived for a time. In the Highlands of Scotland. Before coming back to Dublin. I enjoyed what music I could find over there too. That was similar enough to our own music. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chcZxnzdzrY

The second song I just love. Scottish friend put me onto this band. Lot of their songs are in Gaelic. Lot used in films too. Played a lot on Irish radio too. Capercaillie is the band. More popular over here than Scotland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvqwH_mSZco

And that has been Top of the Pops ( Traditional style ) for another evening.  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Online Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
Those were really haunting. I think I actually might've heard that second one before, but I'm not sure. I absolutely love sean nos singing as well. Some nights I fall asleep listening too it. And sometimes I think things were better back then, too. I would like so much to live during those times and see those things for myself. It seems life was better back then. Everything was in balance as it should be. Old traditions were still thriving and music was an even bigger part of everyday life than it is now. Life was fascinating back then. I feel sometimes like I was born in the wrong time. It's why I'm such a history geek! My sister actually has a piper friend who is so into old ways and keeping traditions that he dresses in clothing that look like something one might've worn in the 1800s when he plays! He says the same thing, too- "I was born in the wrong time."  Do you happen to play an instrument?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 01:48:21 PM »
Think we were all born in the wrong era. Just take me back a thousand years or more when warriors fought their battles and I would gladly die a happy man. With the name I use on here, I thought people might understand it better if I spelt it a simpler way. Gaelic spelling of it is Cú Chulainn. I knew they would never understand that. Biggest question I am asked is how to say the name and what it means. So begin the tales of the boy Satanta who killed the hounds of Chulainn and offered to replace them until new hounds could be found. The reaction is always amazing. They want to know more. Then you try and explain hurling to them. Used to be so funny when I used the chat room. That could take up a whole evening. Me and my culture. Was always another person from Ireland in the room too. Who was into all of this as well. We would be the only two chatting at times. The others would be lost. I just sold a Keyboard a few weeks ago. Hadn't used it in a long while. It would take me an hour or so to count instruments in this house. My mother is amazing. Pick up anything and play it straight away. I am not that good. But taught myself how to read music. Have tried them all. From pan pipes to the tin whistle. Some weird African instruments thrown in to the mix as well. The only thing Irish Irish I don't do well is drink.  :laugh3: A non drinking Irishman. Was house bound for ten years. So pubs and the likes were never of interest to me at all. I would just simply join in with any singing here at home. Microphone in hand and suddenly I am at peace. It is like the room is empty. Trouble is getting the microphone back off me. Odd when you think about it. Never a person from crowded places. Unless it involved a microphone. That is not saying I can sing like some expert. I just know the songs off by heart. Unlike some others who need to read the lyrics as they go. This forum keeps changing post by post. By the time we are done writing it will probably be green in colour.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Online Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 12:01:18 AM »
Mm, yes, I noticed your username isn't spelt the usual way. Good idea to spell it phonetically. (Whenever I think of Cu Chulainn, I think of the part in the book Angela's Ashes when little Frank wants to hear the story about "Cucu" or something along those lines. :laugh3:) I know, explaining things from Irish culture to others can prove to be very interesting sometimes. Sometimes it drives me mad! I actually was born and live in America, but I have an Irish family and I am still very, well, "Irish" and since I don't really have many friends, this is all I know. Even outside the family, most of our friends are Irish, either born in Ireland, or children of immigrants. Just recently an American woman told me that Irish isn't a language when I said something about speaking Irish. I wanted to scream with frustration because it was the 3rd time someone's told me that ("Really? Then why do I speak it?" I wanted to say. Haha!). It's good someone around here seems to love music as much as I do! African instruments, hm? Very interesting! And singing? I used to like to sing when I was younger. Now I only do that by myself! By the way, I gave ASMR a go. It was surprisingly relaxing... :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 05:18:30 AM »
Glad you liked the ASMR. Think when people first watch it they are a bit baffled as to what to aspect to get from it. It is all about tingles. We all have tingle triggers. Once you find the right video it can be great.

Gaelic was accepted as a language within the EU a few years back. Has to be so many people within the Country speaking it for it to be recognised as a language of a Country. It is taken more serious in rural parts of Ireland. Can't say you hear it spoken around areas in Dublin at all. You hear more African spoken than you do Gaelic. Sign of the times. Taken so many people into the Country and they want to use their own language. As I put it, the more we take in the higher the number of non Gaelic speakers we will have in the Country. I always blame the Government. They should have made it our first language years ago. We could have learned English on the streets. Never any importance placed on it in our schools at all. Now, the next step, is going to be a choice as picking one of 4 languages to do in school. Gaelic will be an option. Just like French is an option. Which, to me, is wrong.  You can see the language slipping further away once more once this all begins.

So how are the dizzy spells and the headaches? Any better?
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags:

anything