Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I keep feeling dizzy  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Mairi

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I keep feeling dizzy
« on: August 16, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »
Yesterday while I was sitting outside reading, I started having this sharp pain on the upper right side of my head. Soon after I started feeling dizzy and still having that pain at the same time. I was walking and suddenly I felt even more dizzy and unstable, like I was going to fall. I felt better after I ate, although I would feel dizzy again after I laughed. Today I thought I was fine until now. I was combing my hair and then I suddenly felt really dizzy, like everything was swirling around. This only lasted for a second, but now I still feel a little dizzy and that pain in my head is coming back and I feel hot. I also have this feeling that if I close my eyes, I won't be able to open them again and I'll die. Why do I feel like this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: I keep feeling dizzy
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 04:37:16 PM »
With anxiety we could be looking at one in a thousand things. That's talking from experience. Can't say I have ever had headaches. Been luck there. But the dizzy side of things, like you are going to fall over, is common enough with anxiety. Many a time I have been just standing there and suddenly I would feel dizzy. They could be sudden quick bursts. Can't say they ever really lasted that long. Once I shook the feeling off. But they had me grabbing for something to hold onto on some occasions. Used to be much worse years ago. Agoraphobic here. So when out the ground would seem like it was moving to me. Used to walk along holding onto walls and railings. The dizzy side of things is common with anxiety. People do get stress headaches. But I would keep an eye on that aspect of things. If it gets worse and the likes. Not sure if you are on any new medication or anything like that. That could cause such a thing to happen. If not, and it keeps up, there is no harm in visiting a doctor. If it gets worse or doesn't clear up. Just to be safe. Doctor might wish to rule out a few things and once he does, we can blame it all on anxiety. Don't be alarmed. We have all had those trips to the doctor. Tests done. Bloods done. Is normal for us anxiety people. So they know it is only our anxiety. Just try and remain calm. I know it can be annoying. Been through it all before. Think we spend most of our time fighting from day to day. Trust me it does get easier and we do get stronger.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »
Thank you, Cuchculan. Good advise. :-) Just a while ago for some reason I felt like it was very difficult to exhale and then I felt like everything was spinning again. Now I'm getting scared!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 05:29:27 AM »
I would imagine it to be just your anxiety. One thing can bring on another thing. We do tend to think the worst if we put our minds to it. But one thing to always look out for is the fact that it does stop and go away. Just as easily as it came on. This is how we know most times it is only anxiety. If it was something more serious it wouldn't be a case of stop / start. With certain illnesses symptoms are there all the time. With anxiety we do get a break from the symptoms. They are not there all the time. If we find something to do, take our minds off of things, they will go away. It is more during time alone and quiet time that the mind can act up for some people. They are alone with their thoughts. These sort of people need things to do. To stop them thinking inwardly and focusing on themselves. Just a case of working what type of person you are. I love time alone. I am not a crowd type of person. I would be the reverse.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:51:51 AM »
True. I do get breaks from these symptoms, so that is a good thing. I see what you mean by being "alone with your thoughts". I hate that. That's why bedtime is often my most anxious time. I usually have music on at night to have something for my mind to hold onto, so it won't be alone if you know what I mean. Also, I must always be distracting myself- reading something, listening to music, doing something productive, looking online. I actually sometimes purposely try to make myself angry or sad about something to distract myself from my anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »
Here in Dublin, we have some interesting late night radio shows on. All debate. Not over the top serious. They can get heated with people ringing in. Makes for good listening. Plus I have a few radio scanners. Love listening to the ambulance drivers and the firemen as they go about their work. Never a quiet moment. If you have a few minutes to spare, jump on you tube and type in Relaxing ASMR. If you don't know what ASMR is, it can be hard to explain. Based around whispering and what has to be classed as role play. As it is not accepted as a form of therapy. Some videos have been watched over a million times. More people are using them to relax. The whole idea is to make you feel tingles. From the head moving down your whole body. What the makers of the videos are trying to do is use sounds that you may relate to that you found relaxing as a kid or still find relaxing today. It can be about finding the right video for you. It does work. If you sit back and relax and enjoy the experience the tingles will begin to flow. I find them much better that normal relaxation videos. You may find find some based around the sounds of cooking. Other you are having your hair done. Facial spa and the likes. If you have never seen an ASMR video before, give it a shot. Be interested to see what you make of them. I have an hour of that each evening. Rather you tried something like that than making yourself angry or sad. You may even find an escape in these videos. Maybe even try writing. I think people with anxiety are great writers. Be it poetry or even a journal about your day. How you are feeling there and then and how you would like to feel. What changes you can make so you may feel happy instead of sad and angry. Guess it is all about exploring. Finding out what works best for us and using that.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 12:37:59 PM »
Hmm... Now I am interested in ASMR. Never heard of it. Will have to give it a shot. Your late night radio shows sound similar to something I like to do- look at debates online. Keeps me occupied, and usually they are very interesting. And I do love writing. I love to write short stories especially. Historical fiction ones, occasionally fantasy. Maybe I will try journaling about my day and the subjects you suggested. Very good ideas. Thank you. :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »
Here is a very old thread from a few years back. You liking you trad sessions and the likes might like this. Was something I wrote one day. Feel free to share your own work if you are happy to do so. That is what the inspiration section of the forum is all about. I see the owner removed anxiety zone wire. I had a short story on there. Easy come, easy go I suppose. But this began life as a poem. Until a friend of my mother's wanted to put music to it. Only in my head if it was to be sung, it should have been sung without the music. As the name suggests. But I let her put her music to it and use it. It is a thing about people with anxiety / depression and the likes. I find them all to be very talented. Creative in a good way. Great imaginations. Maybe we just have too much time on our hands.  :laugh3:

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,29617.msg173799.html#msg173799

Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
Cuchculan, this is beautiful. You've really got some talent there! For some reason it reminds me a bit of the song "Cailín Deas Cruite na mBó".
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »
Thank you for saying so. Most of what I tend to write is based in Ireland. Grew up with the auld ballads playing in the house. Republican and other ones too. Think once you grow up with something it sticks with you for life. We learn all the songs as kids. Good thing about this Country. Rich with musical talent. Keeps us out of trouble too.  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »
Ha, definitely keeps us out of trouble!  Same with me, I'm being raised with trad, and if I ever was caught listening to something else...  :laugh3:
And it does make me quite proud when I see today's kids still playing this music. Ever realised how our conversations always end up being about this sort of thing? ;-D
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 05:36:26 AM »
Think Irish people love to talk music. For such a small Country we have a lot of talented singers. Music is relaxing as well. So if that ends up been the topic every time, I am happy with that. Take the mind off of other things. But feel free to talk about whatever you like. You know us for having the gift of the gab. We'd talk about horse shite if we had to.  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 06:49:43 AM »
Not sure if you have heard this poem before. Written by Bobby Sands when he was on hunger strike. Try to picture a small dark cold prison cell. He wrote on tiny pieces of paper that were smuggled out of prison. It is such a haunting poem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IbwgnfIW_Y
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 11:29:39 AM »
 It is truly haunting. Sort of gave me goose pimples. I was trying to imagine him writing it, like you said, in a prison cell. Sad things that happened back then. And haha! I wouldn't rather talk about anything else. Music is my obsession! Now to find something to show you...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »
Found something! First one is "A Stor Mo Chroi". It is about emigration. I listened to it a lot last summer. It was sung at a little concert I went to last August that was at the same place the concert I posted about recently was. Again, the performers and the audience all knew each other, as as often is the case! But I remember the man who sung this telling us to imagine the people long ago and how they would sing these songs before someone emigrated, knowing they would probably never see the emigrant again. And when he sang this, the only sounds were his voice and the gentle sound of the flute between verses, and it seemed that for those brief moments everyone went back in time for a while. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AS8lta9Ddk
Also love this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HOhqKrmfvY
Bookmark and Share

Tags: