Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: *** Ice Bucket Challenge  (Read 362 times)

Offline yesyesno

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
*** Ice Bucket Challenge
« on: August 16, 2014, 12:54:35 PM »
Hi!

I don't know if any of you have heard about the *** ice bucket challenge , but it's for a great cause.  My understanding is that people challenge other people to pour a bucket of ice water over themselves.  Once you complete the challenge you challenge someone else.  The idea is to raise awareness of the disease.  It's so great that I feel guilty for feeling bad about it.  But all the stories in the news about people afflicted with the disease is scaring the crap out of me.  And since, unlike most of the general public, I have twitching all over my body, I am terrified every time I hear a story.

I can't just hide under a rock, so I'm wondering how I get through the month of this challenge and not project onto myself?

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share

Online Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: *** Ice Bucket Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 01:07:55 PM »
Hi!

I don't know if any of you have heard about the *** ice bucket challenge , but it's for a great cause.  My understanding is that people challenge other people to pour a bucket of ice water over themselves.  Once you complete the challenge you challenge someone else.  The idea is to raise awareness of the disease.  It's so great that I feel guilty for feeling bad about it.  But all the stories in the news about people afflicted with the disease is scaring the crap out of me.  And since, unlike most of the general public, I have twitching all over my body, I am terrified every time I hear a story.

I can't just hide under a rock, so I'm wondering how I get through the month of this challenge and not project onto myself?

Thanks!

You´d be surprised about how many people in the "general public" actually have body-wide twitching. I can be wrong here, but I think I read somewhere that it iasat least top 3 of the most common benign neuro symptoms you can get. Body-wide twitching screams anxiety, believe me I know. In the disease you fear, twitiching as widespread as you describe without clinical weakness and a late stage diagnosis is almost unheard of. Twitching  is sooooo common among anxiety struck people.

I can relate to the thing you describe though, as an avid HA-er (yeah, not a word, I know=) I try my best to stay away from Google and such. But, when stuff like this (that is so important, don´t get me wrong) is presented everywhere it´s hard to not get affected. But, I would not want these campaigns to stop. They raise an immensly imortant awareness about a disease that actually have a very negative impact on peoples lives.

That being said, out of all the people here that are "self-diagnosed" with the disease, I would venture and guess that zero percent actually have it. It´s rare, anxiety and symptoms mimicking the disease on the other hand is not. I´m sorry you too belong to the "I-have-***-club", but please find comfort in knowing that you´re symptoms are not in any way indicative of a serious neuro disease=)
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:19:34 PM »
I videoed my 17yr old daughter just a while ago doing that.  Tomorrow she and my 13 yr old will participate with Color Guard.  The former coach challenged the whole group.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »
I actually don't understand the challenge. I mean pouring water on yourself? How is that contributing to finding a cure for ALS? I was just talking to my hubby about that as my social media news feed are full of the ice bucket challenge. I so feel horrible about not understanding it and if I'm nominated I will do it in fear if I might be punished with the illness if I don't (I hate OCD)
I do not fear *** but I'm afraid if I continue to hear about it I might start.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 06:18:02 AM »
I actually don't understand the challenge. I mean pouring water on yourself? How is that contributing to finding a cure for ALS? I was just talking to my hubby about that as my social media news feed are full of the ice bucket challenge. I so feel horrible about not understanding it and if I'm nominated I will do it in fear if I might be punished with the illness if I don't (I hate OCD)
I do not fear *** but I'm afraid if I continue to hear about it I might start.

it is a fund raiser.  it isn't like a bad luck thing if you don't do it.

so far it has raised 7 1/2 million dollars.  if you get the challenge and participate, you do it and go online and donate $10.  if you don't accept the challenge,you are supposed to donate $100.  of course no one can make you donate.

this just a fund raiser.   a good cause.  a charitable thing to do.  all set up in a fun way.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
"this just a fund raiser.   a good cause.  a charitable thing to do.  all set up in a fun way."

And has made for some great blooper material on Youtube  :laugh3:

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »
"this just a fund raiser.   a good cause.  a charitable thing to do.  all set up in a fun way."

And has made for some great blooper material on Youtube  :laugh3:

Positive thoughts

that it HAS  ;D

I am looking forward to see my daughters' colorguard challenge video.  It will be a hoot and a holler watching 20 girls squealing and screaming at the same time.   :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 12:09:30 PM »
I am looking forward to see my daughters' colorguard challenge video.  It will be a hoot and a holler watching 20 girls squealing and screaming at the same time.     

:laugh3:  I just saw the video and it didn't disappoint   :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: ALS twitching