Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: GAD HELP!  (Read 153 times)

Offline karlton

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
GAD HELP!
« on: August 16, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »
Hi there,

Im new to the forum but heres a little about me,

So I started maybe 9 months ago with dizziness and lightheadedness and just generally feeling unwell. Im not one to go to the doctors so i battled through, I was going through final exams and full time work so put it down to needing a rest. Anyway it finally got annoying so went to the doctors had the usual blood tests ect done and everything fine... doctor put it down to my drinking habits. (To make it clear I am not alcohol dependant but a normal teenage student who likes a good night on the weekends.) But anyway thought eyy if it makes me better I wont even drink at all. So 5 months passed without even a pint with a meal and i gradually got more symptoms but certainly bearable. More dizziniess, muscle aches, head aches, general feeling of been unwell, palpitations and chest pain.

Recently iv just been offered a job away from home and away from all my family and friends. Consciously I dont feel worried or anything about it because its something iv spent 6 years studying for, however, I have to have a medical to which I have stated that i do not suffer from anxiety.

If I lose this job because of anxiety then it has beaten me but it also wouldnt be safe for me to be going dizzy at my new job.

Iv searched the internet up and down but its all the same nonsence so I was wanted real life stories and ways to overcome it. Has anyone found any ways?

I dont know what has triggered GAD but its starting to take over my life. I have literally 2 weeks to control it before I leave.

Thanks in advance
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: GAD HELP!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 01:17:11 AM »
Well the first thing is that you should never do what your anxiety wants you to. That just validates it and makes it worse. So if you're reluctant to go for this job because of it, then you should confront the situation.

But also keep in mind that your anxiety vanishes when you're actually doing things. This job would probably be quite good at that.

In the end its up to you of course. All I can say is that when I realized I had to never give in to those impulse desires created by anxiety, that was the day i started to get better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 02:11:11 AM »
Karlton, I had GAD for 6 months starting last winter.  I found ACT therapy helpful.
Medicine wise, Buspar did nothing for me, but Klonpin has been my magic bullet.  I take about 1 mg a day.
No more GAD.
Bookmark and Share

Offline karlton

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 03:07:45 AM »
Iv accepted that they are just symptoms and dismissing the 'symptoms'. Medication for me is a no no, id rather find the cause and get rid of it this way. However, if i cant then i would obviously have to look into medication. The last few nights have been a struggle to sleep without having small panik attacks. I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 02:21:45 AM »
Karlton, one thing to consider is this.  Some anxiety is triggered by events.  But some anxiety is pure brain chemistry.  The only cause behind
brain chemistry is bad wiring and neurotransmitters. 

I think the easiest way to figure it out (counselors help) is to ask yourself if you're going through high stress events.  If yes, than sure it's good to understand the cause.  But if you're not going thru stress but you feel anxious, it's likely just brain chemistry.

Either way, medication and therapy seem to solve both types of origins.  No need to suffer unnecessarily.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything