Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Are these seizures? Do I have a brain tumor? Terrified and alone.  (Read 340 times)

Offline Storyweaver

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So, over the last week or so I have honestly had really odd brain activity. There was one night, about a week ago where right before I fell asleep, my head jerked gently to the side because I thought I heard something, I was shaking, and I saw blinking lights in the dark. Sleep hallucination?

Then, two days later I had numbness and tingling in my mouth. That lasted days on and off. Meanwhile, I am having panic attacks daily and stress levels are very high.

Then about a day ago I was watching a movie.  I got a fuzzy feeling, and then it felt like time skipped a few seconds. Like, I was just gone and then I was back.

Doctors have really failed me at getting me in, in a timely manner. So I have to wait until Thursday for the EEG. I don't know how to wait until then.

I've been depressed and anxious as well. What is going on with me? I have never had a seizure in my life. Wouldn't that mean a brain tumor?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bocephus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Are these seizures? Do I have a brain tumor? Terrified and alone.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 12:17:11 AM »
I'm guessing you also haven't been sleeping solid?  The jerkiness when falling asleep could be your mind fighting your body.  Allow yourself to relax and get some rest.  Don't fight it, just lay back watch some cartoons or listen to some music and relax.

These sound like anxiety symptoms to me, not seizures.  I've had the same kinds of things happen to me..  Recently.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Firefly

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 12:24:04 AM »
People have seizures who do not have a brain tumor, so try not to think that you have one. I know it is hard, I have also heard that seizures can be brought on by extreme stress. Was your stress level high before this happened?  I know stress can do some pretty weird things to you. Try to do some deep breathing exercises or if you have any other techniques for calming yourself. I have anxiety to so I know how hard it is to keep from worrying, but as I said many people have seizures that don't have brain tumors
Bookmark and Share

Offline Storyweaver

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 04:04:20 AM »
Its the combination of sudden depression, frequent panic attacks, head aches, and seizure activity in which I am incredibly afraid. :( I am so scared I cry sometimes.

I have never had a seizure in my life, and I am 23.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 07:40:12 AM »
The sleep thing is called hypnic jerks. Everybody can and do get these. It is part of the sleep cycle. They often occur when a body is overtired or with stress and anxiety.  The other things sound like stress/anxiety.  Which are being "turned" into something they are not.

My eldest has a serious seizure disorder so I know more than I would like to know about seizures.   My daughter had two tonic/clonic (aka gran mal) this past week.   HOWEVER, there is a misconception that anxiety/stress brings on seizures. That isn't true.  Stress/Anxiety brings on seizures in people who have an EXISTING seizure disorder. This happens to my daughter often.

There IS a psychological disorder called PNES--psychogenic non-epileptic seizures.  This is NOT a neurological disorder but a mental one.  This is likely what people confuse themselves with when they say anxiety/stress causes seizures.

" PNES are attacks that may look like epileptic seizures, but are not caused by abnormal brain electrical discharges. They are a manifestation of psychological distress. Frequently, patients with PNES may look like they are experiencing generalized convulsions similar to tonic clonic seizures with falling and shaking. Less frequently, PNES may mimic absence seizures or complex partial seizures with temporary loss of attention or staring. A physician may suspect PNES when the seizures have unusual features such as type of movements, duration, triggers and frequency....  Specific traumatic event, such as physical or sexual abuse, incest, divorce, death of a loved one, or other great loss or sudden change, can be identified in many patients with PNES. By definition, PNES are a physical manifestation of a psychological disturbance and are a type of Somatoform Disorder called a conversion disorder."

btw:  I am not suggesting you have PNES or will develop it.  I am saying that is a psychological disorder that can appear to be seizure.  I am also NOT suggesting you are having actual seiaures either

At 23 you are on the outside edge for developing typical epilepsy. Most epilepsy begins by late teens---most often during puberty or under 5.  Also a greater % of typical epilepsy runs in families. That doesn't mean an adult can't develop run of the mill epilepsy, they can, but this isn't typical or most common presentation. Adult onset seizures have many causes: illicit drug use, the use of some prescribed meds have the potential in some people, complications of diabetes, dehydration, starvation, heat stroke, HIGH fevers, brain infections, brain tumors, traumatic brain injury (like severe car accidents NOT minor bumps to the head that don't cause anything but a bump/bruise)..... Even with these causes, once the issue that caused the seizure is corrected, the seizures stop.

Lots of people are afraid of seizures. and why not? they are quite scary to contemplate. However you won't just have one because you are afraid of them . Also lots of anxious peeps think odd sensations similar to and just like what you describe are some form of seizure when actually it is manifestations of stress/anxiety.  Not seizures at all.   Even IF a person develops a seizure disorder, most people with epilepsy lead perfectly normal lives. They swallow their meds and go about life. The hardest thing would be dealing with losing a driver's license until seizures were controlled by the meds.

btw:  I am not suggesting you have PNES or will develop it.  I am saying that is a psychological disorder that can appear to be seizure.  I am also NOT suggesting you are having actual seizures either.  My post is simply informative
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Storyweaver

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:26:12 AM »
So to conclude, sixpack, these incidents don't sound like seizures to you?

Is it odd to have a sudden onset of panic attacks and depression with headaches?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 06:46:32 AM »
So to conclude, sixpack, these incidents don't sound like seizures to you?

Is it odd to have a sudden onset of panic attacks and depression with headaches?

in conclusion:   the 'incidents'  don't sound like seizures.

why do you think it is odd to have sudden onset panic attack and depression with headaches?   no it isn't odd.  headaches are exceedingly common with anxiety and depression.  it may be the first thing to show up
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline hypochondrius

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »
There have been a few times in the last year or so that I have been falling asleep and I kind of start to dream to quickly while I'm half awake and I can feel myself moving. I had a dream where I was driving my car and a mother and daughter walked out onto the street from behind a car and I could see myself hitting them and them going onto the windshield (I think I saw some dashboard cam video of something like that which triggered this dream) and I literally did some spasm and woke up with my heart pounding

I've had a lot of odd jerks as I'm falling asleep, tends to happen if you're very tired, like one time where I did a lot of overtime and started falling asleep laying down flat on my back (which I rarely do) and jerked upright as I started falling asleep. It's like your brain gets confused and thinks you're dying and sends a jolt down your body
Bookmark and Share

Tags: