Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Feel worse before feeling better  (Read 400 times)

Offline Nala1991

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Feel worse before feeling better
« on: August 15, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »
Supposed to up to 37.5mg. Still feel very weird. Eerything i do i feel weird doing. Feel very alien in my own body and weird thoughts. Head feels weird and spacey and heavy and disoriented at times. Should i up the dose? Is this all normal? I want to feel better so bad.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feel worse before feeling better
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:18:47 PM »
Should i up the dose? Is this all normal? I want to feel better so bad.

Unfortunately, the harsh reality is that to feel better in the long term you may need to feel worse in the short term. The only way of getting to where you want to be is to get the antidepressant dose into its therapeutic range. There is no point in taking a med at an ineffective dose. The quicker you get to at least 50mg the better, though you may need to go to 100-150mg. The only alternative is therapy.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Nala1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 06:38:01 PM »
I am supposed to be going up to 37.5. I just keep having negative thoughts and my head is the biggest issue. Also have no emotions really and just feel like im on my own planet. No energy motivation at all. Hopefully this will work for me. My head just feels so messed up alot of the time.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 09:09:26 PM »
I just keep having negative thoughts and my head is the biggest issue. Also have no emotions really and just feel like im on my own planet. No energy motivation at all.

All symptoms of depression, though you may not actually be clinically depressed. The sooner you're on an effective dose the better. You could, and probably should have increase the dose 2 weeks ago as the side-effects do not usually get worse when sertraline doses are increased after 7 days.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Nala1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 09:18:39 PM »
I def am depressed it comes and goes but its pretty prevelant all day. My dr wanted me to increase awhile ago but i was nervous. I will increase tonight.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nala1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »
So i increased last night to 37.5. My head feels weird again and im feeling pretty anxious. Just a non human feeling becuse i feel so weird. Is this normal? I do have klonopin to take. My head keeps hurtin on and off too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »
So i increased last night to 37.5. My head feels weird again and im feeling pretty anxious. Just a non human feeling becuse i feel so weird. Is this normal? I do have klonopin to take. My head keeps hurtin on and off too.

Hi Nala,

Yes - this is normal now that you have increased the dose 37.5 mg.

By taking your Klonopin this will really help during this transition period  :yes:

What is your Dr. instructions on the bottle for Klonopin?

:action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Nala1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 12:38:28 PM »
It says 2 .5 a day but i usually take .25 at a time. My head feels weird my eyes feel weird cant think straight and feel so weird.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nala1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 01:14:38 PM »
I took .25 to see if it helps. My head hurts and feels so off. Mood swings as well.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 05:45:21 PM »
I took .25 to see if it helps. My head hurts and feels so off. Mood swings as well.

This is almost certainly your mind, not the benzodiazepine. Instead of taking a small dose which seem only to increase your distress, take the full dose as directed so it helps to calm you down. Benzodiazepines won't hurt you. The brain is well adapted to deal with them as they are a natural part of the diet. Tylenol (acetaminophen) should ease the headache.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nala1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 06:38:33 PM »
The .25 did help alot. I still feel mentally off and weird in the head and withdrawn socially from people and just feel off still. I did manage to get ready and go to a grad party but everything i do feels weird and when i eat and do normal things it feels weird.
Bookmark and Share

Offline will402

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 07:21:42 PM »
Hey nila. Totally with you on the eyes feeling weird. My brain today felt like a sponge so painful. But take solace that other people are going through the same ***** as you (Ie me!)

And the weird feeling your talking about sounds like maybe derealization. Which I have a lot which is the main reason I'm taking these tablets. Derealization is just a result of anxiety. I've spoken to a derealization expert and they assured me it's very normal it's just your brain protecting itself from the accessive anxiety. If you wanted the website to the professional I spoke to I can give it to you. They do charge 80 pounds for two hours but are excellent. Anyway stay strong because were in it together.

I nearly gave in two weeks ago but Ian and never quit told me to carry on and I actually had an amazing week feeling great so it shows you it can change so quickly!

Few years ago I used to take esctacy fairly regualarlly. Interestingly a lot of the sensations I am feeling when starting up this citroapram feel like how I would feel the day after xtc. (I'm not endorsing anyone to try and also I don't do it any more. My mental health is far more important)

Peace. Will
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nala1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »
Yeah im just not myself its depression and anxiety for me it sucks. Im trying to interact and feel alright its just hard. I actually do see a therapist and he tells me the same thing. I just wanna feel like my old self. And laugh and feel emotions again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NoShadesofGrey

• Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »
Hey Nala, I've been following your threads as I am also waiting for my Sertraline to take effect.  While I don't have the same symptoms as you, I just wanted to say hang in there and definitely use the Klonopin as prescribed.  It took a little to find out what worked best for me, but Xanax XR definitely has given me some quality of life back!

I know what you mean about wanting to feel like yourself again.  You're not alone!
Bookmark and Share
On days of gray when doubt clouds my view
It's so hard to see past my fears
My strength seems to fade and it's all I can do
To hold on 'til the light reappears
Still, I believe though some rain's bound to fall
That You're here next to me and You're over it all

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 10:28:15 PM »
Few years ago I used to take esctacy fairly regualarlly. Interestingly a lot of the sensations I am feeling when starting up this citroapram feel like how I would feel the day after xtc.

This is because initially antidepressants and ecstasy (MDMA) do much the same thing. Ecstasy triggers  hyper secretion of serotonin (and other neurotransmitters), but inhibits their synthesis, antidepressants initially cause an increase in serotonin synthesis and expression and retain it in synapses for longer by blocking the reuptake transporters. However, after a few weeks this reverses with antidepressants and both synthesis and expression drops with brain levels falling back to baseline levels, or well below in areas associated with anxiety and depression. This doesn't happen with ecstasy. It will cause hyper secretion as long as it is being taken, so much so that neurotransmitter production and expression exhausts not only a cell's neurotransmitters stocks, but its energy stores too resulting in the loss of synaptic terminals and sometimes the death of the cell itself.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: