Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Effexor XR or Wellbutrin XL  (Read 245 times)

Offline LAD123456

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Effexor XR or Wellbutrin XL
« on: August 12, 2014, 01:41:45 PM »
OK---I need some advice, my doctor is recommending I take a SSRI---she thinks that either Effexor or Welbutrin would help and for me to call her and she will order which ever one I want.  She was leaning towards the Welbutrin because it will help me stop smoking. 

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with either drug?

I hate the fact that I need to take something, but I also want to get better.  Most of the people I work with, most of my friends, and family are on something.  Maybe that is why they aren't as bad, anxiety wise, as I am.

As always, I appreciate your help
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Effexor XR or Wellbutrin XL
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 01:50:36 PM »
I've never been on either one. I can give you some general information though. Wellbutrin is not frequently prescribed as a treatment for anxiety, it's generally preferred for depression. The reason being is that it's one of the more stimulating antidepressants and therefore may make anxiety worse. Anecdotally, I HAVE had a couple of patients tell me they did well on Wellbutrin for anxiety previously and if they did well then I won't fix what isn't broke. But in those cases it's usually more of a mixed depression/anxiety rather than pure through the roof anxiety. I certainly can understand the potential benefit of quitting smoking too!

Effexor did very well for my sister efficacy-wise but the start up side effects were difficult for her.

Have you tried any of the basic SSRIs so far? ie prozac, zoloft, celexa? Or is this your first go-around with meds? Might not hurt to call and speak to your doctor's nurse for some more info before making your decision. Good luck!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »
Effexor or Welbutrin would help and for me to call her and she will order which ever one I want.  She was leaning towards the Welbutrin because it will help me stop smoking. 

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with either drug?

FWIW:
IME: 
- Wellbutrin - Will work for some people and not for others.  In my case, it didn't work to well - it is considered atypical - not an SSRI/SNRI AD.  It will work to help you stop smoking, and the biggest advantage for me was that unlike the usual SSRI -  is less likely than the SSRIs to cause sexual dysfunction.  And I found it was very stimulating if you have depression It might be a plus, if you have a lot of anxiety it might be a negative.

- Effexor - Will work, but I developed some weird side effects - such as "increased agitation" - my wife said I was being "mean and got angry"  :P -

An important note on Effexor and Paxil (I have used both) that is being flagged in patient's - as the two worst AD to discontinue in the future according to many reports.

According to an NBC Report: In the almost two decades since Prozac — the first of the antidepressants known as SRIs, or serotonin reuptake inhibitors — hit the market, many patients have reported extreme reactions to discontinuing the drugs. Two of the best-selling antidepressants — Effexor and Paxil — have prompted so many complaints that many doctors avoid prescribing them altogether.
“It’s not that we never use it, but in the end I will tend not to prescribe Effexor or Paxil,” said Dr. Richard C. Shelton, a psychiatrist at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine.

Generally the drugs that are metabolized most quickly cause more severe symptoms, Shelton said. Effexor, with a half-life of just a few hours, is one of the worst SRIs in that regard; Prozac, which has a half-life of about a week, is considered the best.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/14126142/ns/health-mental_health/t/stuck-meds-some-cant-quit-antidepressants/

With all that said  :spineyes:

What is the main reason for using an AD? - Depression, Anxiety Disorder, OCD, ....?

The best experience I had was the following three - again this is my own experience:

1) Celexa - is the easiest - fastest with the fewest side effects
2) Lexapro - Which is related to Celexa is also shown good results with fewer side effect

The downside for me was that Celexa and Lexapro would tended to lose its effectiveness over a year or two IME.  Lexapro was more effective over a longer period of time than Celexa, but of course, it will differ for everyone, some people can use it for years with no problems.

3) Prozac - Still one of the best, especially for OCD!  - It is also stimulating compared to Zoloft, but I consider it a more Potent than any of the above for me...  Along with Zoloft... They are the two best and most potent  have used(of the 12+ Meds I have used.)

I know it is a lot of information - just want to give you as much information as possible  :action-smiley-065:

Let me know if you have any questions  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline LAD123456

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 04:02:56 PM »
Thank you for the replies.

I haven't ever taken anything for my anxiety, and to be honest with you, I am a bit scared of the side effects. 

I have been also offered Paxil----which I never got filled.  Again, it isn't the fact of taking the medicine, it is the side effects that I am worried about. I am worried that I am not going to be able to function at work and at home

Again, any suggestions or thoughts, would be appreciated

Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 39
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »
I've been on both.  Wellbutrin just didn't do a lot for me, but the side effects were manageable, just headaches and weight loss (which is really a yay because I'm pretty overweight thanks to zoloft). 

Effexor worked REALLY well, but I ended up getting addicted - this generally happens to me with SSRIs a LOT overall, though, and may not reflect a common issue with it - and would get very sick if I was late with a dose or missed one, and it took me the better part of a year to come off of it and feel back to normal.  And that was after a failed try to get off it maybe a year or so before?  However my dad was on effexor for a number of years until his death and as far as I know never had any of the side effects I did.  And like I said, it really worked well for me.  I wish I could go back on it, but after my last experience I just don't think it's smart for me, as someone who tends to have really overblown withdrawal effects with SSRIs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
I,ve heard so much about WD and side effects-i'd never take any of it-and would assume most docs wouldn't take them either.But they hand them out like candy to patients. NO THANK YOU
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:57:58 PM »
You might be surprised riley....depression is actually fairly common in medical practitioners, in particular primary care practitioners. Medicine in the United States is a broken system as just about everyone knows. It can be very demoralizing working in a system where your services are valued less each day by the insurance, and administration doesn't have patients best interests at heart. I know two of my supervising physicians have taken medication for depression at some point in their lives. I myself (a physician assistant) take prozac as well as ativan on an as needed basis.

There's no doubt these medications are serious business, and unfortunately they are overprescribed. But when someone is seriously suffering and their quality of life and ability to function has taken a hit, for some it is worth dealing with side effects. Mental health resources are so limited unfortunately that it does fall on primary care providers to treat mental health ailments. we see them on a weekly basis, so we have an obligation. What I would like to see is an increased emphasis, therefore, on psychological disorders in physician assistant and med schools so primary care providers would be better equipped to manage these problems. In particular with the biopsychosocial focus,  the whole person approach so other interventions in addition to or instead of meds are utilized.
Bookmark and Share

Offline {BIGGEN}

• Just Joined!
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:56:16 AM »
I'm on Effexor have been for almost a year and I've had nothing but good results. I was on Lexapro for a while and it worked somewhat but made me really sleepy and it seemed to stop working after a year or so. Another thing with Effexor it's a lot cheaper than Lexapro specifically not having insurance. As for the Welbrutin, I've heard of it but my doctor never talked about it much. The Effexor has really helped me get my Anxiety under control and I have my life back and it feels great. Now with any med or disorder your going to have ups and downs but my ups are happening a lot more lately and I feel like my old self again!!!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
"FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST ANXIETY"

Offline LAD123456

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »

BIGGEN

Thank you for the reply

I do have a question, do you take it in the morning or at night?

Thanks Again
Bookmark and Share

Offline {BIGGEN}

• Just Joined!
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »
Sorry took me so long to reply...Actually I break in half a 75mg tablet and take half in the morning and half at night. Seems to work well like that. It just seems with the Effexor I'm more balanced all around than with the Lexapro it made me feel like a zombie sometimes. Good Luck  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
"FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST ANXIETY"

Offline Smitten

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 10:44:20 PM »
I took Effexor XR for a long time and had good results. The first time I tried to get off of it the doctor didn't tell me to taper off - and that wasn't good. The second time I went to taking it every other day for awhile and then stopped. No side effects. I've been off for two years, need to get back on something as my symptoms have come back with a vengeance. This time I tried to start Effexor again and it didn't go well. Not sure if it was the meds or me (doc thinks it was me because I was so upset about starting a med again). She prescribed Prozac and I'm trying to work up the nerve to take it. Good luck with your decision. Effexor does work but just remember to start low and come off slow.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:57:56 AM »
She prescribed Prozac and I'm trying to work up the nerve to take it. Good luck with your decision.

Prozac has worked very well for me, been on it several years at 40 mg. with excellent results.  Let us know if you work up the nerve to try Prozac, if Effexor worked , I have a good feeling that Prozac will work well for you.

Hope it works for you  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Nicollette

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 07:36:59 PM »
Hi - I take Wellbutrin XL 150 once a day and it does help me.  Strange that your doc would call wellbutrin and effexor SSRI's - Effexor is an SNRI and Wellbutrin is in a class by itself.

I have heard that effexor can work also but the withdrawal can be tough when you come off them. 

Any psych drug can have side effects as well as withdrawal symptoms but Effexor, Paxil are known to have more difficult withdrawals.

Wellbutrin I think does not have a severe withdrawal.  Also the old standby, Prozac has a very long half-life and practically tapers itself when you stop taking it gradually. I had no problem at all coming off prozac, which IS an SSRI. 

Good luck with your decision. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »
In my own personal opinion, effexor shouldn't even be on the market!  I was on it for 3 years.  If I missed even one dose, I got horrible "brain zaps".  When I had to stop taking it due to pregnancy, it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do!!! You can't even wean yourself off without the brain zaps and vomiting.  At least in my case, and I read the same thing about other people.  Literally can't just move your eyes to look at something, turn your whole head or you'll feel the electric jolt!  Anyways, it was a nightmare. I don't recommend effexor.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: