Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Effexor XR or Wellbutrin XL  (Read 400 times)

Offline Smitten

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Effexor XR or Wellbutrin XL
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 10:44:20 PM »
I took Effexor XR for a long time and had good results. The first time I tried to get off of it the doctor didn't tell me to taper off - and that wasn't good. The second time I went to taking it every other day for awhile and then stopped. No side effects. I've been off for two years, need to get back on something as my symptoms have come back with a vengeance. This time I tried to start Effexor again and it didn't go well. Not sure if it was the meds or me (doc thinks it was me because I was so upset about starting a med again). She prescribed Prozac and I'm trying to work up the nerve to take it. Good luck with your decision. Effexor does work but just remember to start low and come off slow.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 24
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:57:56 AM »
She prescribed Prozac and I'm trying to work up the nerve to take it. Good luck with your decision.

Prozac has worked very well for me, been on it several years at 40 mg. with excellent results.  Let us know if you work up the nerve to try Prozac, if Effexor worked , I have a good feeling that Prozac will work well for you.

Hope it works for you  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Nicollette

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 07:36:59 PM »
Hi - I take Wellbutrin XL 150 once a day and it does help me.  Strange that your doc would call wellbutrin and effexor SSRI's - Effexor is an SNRI and Wellbutrin is in a class by itself.

I have heard that effexor can work also but the withdrawal can be tough when you come off them. 

Any psych drug can have side effects as well as withdrawal symptoms but Effexor, Paxil are known to have more difficult withdrawals.

Wellbutrin I think does not have a severe withdrawal.  Also the old standby, Prozac has a very long half-life and practically tapers itself when you stop taking it gradually. I had no problem at all coming off prozac, which IS an SSRI. 

Good luck with your decision. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »
In my own personal opinion, effexor shouldn't even be on the market!  I was on it for 3 years.  If I missed even one dose, I got horrible "brain zaps".  When I had to stop taking it due to pregnancy, it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do!!! You can't even wean yourself off without the brain zaps and vomiting.  At least in my case, and I read the same thing about other people.  Literally can't just move your eyes to look at something, turn your whole head or you'll feel the electric jolt!  Anyways, it was a nightmare. I don't recommend effexor.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything