Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Severe anxiety fearing I have bipolar disorder  (Read 172 times)

Offline Twhitaker0025

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Severe anxiety fearing I have bipolar disorder
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:46:33 PM »
Hey guys I'm new to this site! So I was diagnosed with GAD/PD in 2010 and have had been struggling ever since. Currently I am having intense fear that I may be bipolar. My mom was diagnosed when she was very young and I've seen her in and out of the psychiatric wards since I was young. I'm terrified that I will end up just like her :( so recently prior to this past Thursday my anxiety has been on the rise for no apparent reason. I've started to read two of dr burns books, panic no more and feel good or something like that which seemed to help me temporarily. I was having pretty bad anxiety Thursday morning and texted my friend and she was like I think you may be bipolar. So immediately I started freaking out over that whole idea. This person has only known me since I was 22 I'm 28 now and she is actually diagnosed with bipolar disorder. So I decide to look on the internet to see what the symptoms are. I don't ever feel manic or in a heightened mood . Basically my mood stays the same which is in an anxious funk I like to call it. My anxiety kind of makes me depressed because after all these years I still don't feel like I have overcame it and I'm just not myself anymore. I can't drink because of the way it makes me feel I get anxious over taking any medicine as well. I've been obsessing over this idea since Thursday night and checking my moods and seeing how I feel and every little thing I over analyze. This sounds kind of silly after I wrote it all out and re read it like why can't I just realize that I'm being irrational? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
Re: Severe anxiety fearing I have bipolar disorder
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 08:14:11 PM »
I would strongly strongly advise that you discuss the bipolar fear with your doctor, especially because you have a family history of it. If diagnosed and treated properly bi-polar disorder can be very manageable, and yes although it is scary there is treatment available and you will be okay - this I'm sure of  ::) Try to calm down in the mean time, also you should take comfort in the fact that most people who are truly bi-polar either (deny the fact that they are or would never even think of it). The fact that you're rationally telling yourself that you may have bi-polar is a pretty good sign to me to say that you intact don't have bi-polar.
To be on the safe side though, have a talk with your doctor about it. I'm sure you're fine but it doesn't hurt  ::)
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline Twhitaker0025

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 08:26:37 PM »
Hey thanks for the response :)) yeah I've heard a lot of people that have it do not even realize they are acting out of the norm. I'm 28 and never had any manic episodes or anything of that nature. My mood is pretty consistent with some fatigue and minor depression related to the fact that I've dealt with crippling anxiety for 4 years now:( my gf who I've been with for 4 years keeps telling me she would know if I'm bipolar and I'm def not which is also reassuring. It keeps me up at night though and sends me into a panic attack analyzing every feeling or mood or thought. I'm going to see my counselor Tuesday although she's already told me once that I'm not suffering any mood or psychotic disorders I just would feel better maybe to be evaluated by a psychiatrist. So are you familiar with bipolar disorder should I just relax and realize even if I were to have it it's treatable anyway and people can live a normal life? Thanks again !!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jayorz128

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 09:23:11 PM »
From what your saying about your mood usually staying the same it sounds like you don't have bipolar disorder. But you should definitely tell your doctor about your fears but it sounds like its probably your GAD is making you fear that you have bipolar disorder.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Twhitaker0025

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »
Is there anything that helps the fearful thoughts? This anxiety is relentless. I'm also afraid to take meds but I can't keep up this cycle. I work as a RN at the urgent care and I have to work tomorrow so I've got to figure out a way to calm myself down. I was prescribed Xanax and Klonopin, I've taken the Xanax like two years ago when I got this bad but never tried the Klonopin. The Xanax had a hangover effect which seemed to make my anxiety even worse the next day. Just wondering if maybe I should try half a Klonopin tonight or if I should try to talk myself down. I've been having panic attacks the past few nights and haven't been sleeping well:( thanks again for responding!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline alexalex

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 04:37:06 PM »
Hey, guess I'll get at you this way.  I have suffered from GED myself, since high school.  I have attacks all the time, but they are manageable.  I completely understand the notion of it depressing you because you can't get over it.  I live in NYC and cannot ride the subway bc it makes me panic.  It kills that I cannot over come something so stupid.  But I will say I have taken medication and still do.  Celexa to be exact.  It has certainly made the over anxiety far more manageable than I thought possible.  I feel like me again, I read that you don't feel like you.  Another thing that helps me is acupuncture.  Everyone has different beliefs on that type of medicine but the calm it sends through my body is surreal.  Try it out... :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Twhitaker0025

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »
That's funny you said that Alex about acupuncture because I did it last Monday and it made me even worse :( I wanted to admit myself yesterday but calmed myself down. Went to the dr today and he suggested Paxil? Have you ever tried that?
Bookmark and Share

Offline alexalex

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 05:30:23 AM »
It made you worse?? wow that's unusual.  I always reached such a nice peaceful feeling during and after.  Maybe the acupuncturist wasn't the best? and yes I did take paxil when I was 21 isn I don't even remember why I switched but it pretty much has the same effect as celexa.  You just have to remember it takes time for it to work, you have to really give it a chance.  Like a month at the least.
Bookmark and Share