Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: DP from Lexapro Does it go away  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Frustrated

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: DP from Lexapro Does it go away
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
Ian,

Thanks for following up.. I'm on he 4th day of 50mg of nortrip.. Depressed after taking initial dose, dry mouth slightly improved. Constipation the same but no increase.. Have derealization, or spaciness probably since I'm weaning from 2mg Ativan down to 1mg.. However, I have been trying to do a cross-over from Ativan to Valium since the longer half-life. I did notice that the valium worked slowly and didn't give me same immediate reduction as the Ativan when it comes to reducing the derealization symptoms. But I want to cross over since the longer half-life. I guess at this point I don't know if the notrip is making the derealization or if it's the benzo reduction.. More then likely the latter.

-Frustrated

Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 05:54:22 PM »
I don't know if the notrip is making the derealization or if it's the benzo reduction.. More then likely the latter.

It could be either or both.

Being a very long acting benzodiazepine Valium can be slow to start as it takes a while to reach peak plasma levels, and even longer for the levels to stabilize. Also while the accepted equivalence ratios suggests you need to take 10mg Valium to replace 1mg of its Ativan metabolite, these ratios are not an exact science so you may need to do a little fine tuning.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »
Ian,

Thanks for the replay.. How long for you're TCA to start working for you? I noticed 3 days after taking had a decent day.. But days after were not so good, the a good day here, and up and down. Also, what have been most bothersome Side effects that you noticed? Also, do you still those side effects?

-Frustrated
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 12:40:16 AM »
Thanks for the replay.. How long for you're TCA to start working for you? I noticed 3 days after taking had a decent day.. But days after were not so good, the a good day here, and up and down.

From memory, about 5-6 weeks, after increasing the dose to 125mg during the first week (my stupid idea). TCAs are no different to the other antidepressants in this regard and will typically take 3-12 weeks to kick-in.

Also, what have been most bothersome Side effects that you noticed? Also, do you still those side effects?

On imipramine I had dry-mouth, constipation, excess sweating on warm to hot days and increased photo sensitivity. My current TCA dosulepin, aka dothiepin, produces no noticeable side-effects even though I'm taking 25mg more than its absolute maximum 200mg dose. However, it isn't available in America which given it is by far the most cardiotoxic antidepressant is probably a good thing. Even in Britain where just a decade ago it had about 70% market share the UK drug regulator is discouraging doctors from prescribing it to new patients.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »
Ian,

Day 6 50mg Nortrip

This will the 6th day ***** 50mg.. Was pretty weepy this morning and had a tough spell of depression throughout the day. I know this is and up dose. I'm just curious why the continued depression, and only minimal relief until later in the evening which I'm starting to notice. I'm hoping the medication will make me feel like I do in the evening all the time opposed of what it feels like in the day.

Today was unusual  though.. I was anxious and thought notrip was making me anxious because of the increase. However, I took .5mg of Ativan around 2PM EST and much of the tension, and apprehension had slightly lifted. Strange reaction?

I'm just hoping that the good feelings I had last week were not from the withdrawal of the Lexapro but the notrip itself.

As always thanks for the responses.. Feels better when I can bounce Ideas off of  :happy0151:

-Frustrated
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 06:24:31 PM »
Today was unusual  though.. I was anxious and thought notrip was making me anxious because of the increase. However, I took .5mg of Ativan around 2PM EST and much of the tension, and apprehension had slightly lifted. Strange reaction?

No, not strange, not even that unusual. All sorts of weird things can happen in the early days of starting an antidepressant, or upping its dose. They don't often indicate anything other than antidepressants can produce weird effects.

I'm just hoping that the good feelings I had last week were not from the withdrawal of the Lexapro but the notrip itself.

All the Lexapro would have been out of your system within 8 days of the last dose so any withdrawal symptoms would have been apparent by then, however, I don't think it was the nortriptyline either as it's too low a dose and too early for it to have an effect. You just had a good week.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 06:33:45 PM »
Ian,

Thanks for the sobering comments. I guess then nortrip might not be good for me as it increases my depression worse then when I started it. I'm just hoping this med works as I have tried 6 SSRIs in the past 5 months with no relief. You kind of busted my bubble with the "feeling good" that week statement since I'm desperate for relief. I was hoping it was the nortrip making me feel better :(

Do you know by chance if it does get sometimes worse before better?

-Frustrated
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »
Do you know by chance if it does get sometimes worse before better?

All antidepressants can make things worse before they get better and this includes anxiety and depression severity. What nortriptyline is doing now is not a guide to its likely effectiveness once you're stabilized at a therapeutic dose.

BTW-the TCAs often work better when taken in 2-3 divided doses per day. I take 75mg of mine in the morning, mid afternoon and just before lights out at night.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 06:55:04 PM »
Ian,

Day  7 50mg Nortip, total 2 weeks

I think that it's working for my depression.. Had a slightly better day then yesterday which was horrible. However, are there dose ranges that work for depression but not for anxiety? Also, are there properties within nortip which my exacerbate anxiety but helps depression, and vice versa?

Thanks

-Frustrated
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »
However, are there dose ranges that work for depression but not for anxiety? Also, are there properties within nortip which my exacerbate anxiety but helps depression, and vice versa?

No, on both counts. The various anxiety disorders and depression are driven by the same biological deficits. They are just different points of the spectrum. Some experience it as anxiety, others as depression and quite a few have both to varying degrees.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 08:37:35 PM »
Ian,

Thanks for the response.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »
Day 8,

Ian moved over to 75mg today.. Just took the remaining 25mg after leaving the doctors office. I have noticed something though.. Seem with the increase comes the spaciness, and increases in DP/DR. I have noticed a slight lift in my depression the last 2 weeks but increase in anxiety as well. Do these side effects wear off in your experience or is there a possibility of notrip helping with just the depression and not the anxiety + DP/DR? What's been your experience taking TCAs?

People tell me it will improve my mood? I'm curious what that means? Does it mean it changes you? The only reason I ask is that I have always been on something my whole life and lived with it. But never and Anti-depressant..Any insight would be good? Also, I have always taken a benzo since my 20s to help with Anxiety..

Thanks,
-Frustrated..

Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
Do these side effects wear off in your experience or is there a possibility of notrip helping with just the depression and not the anxiety + DP/DR?

Possibly. But depression will often respond to antidepressants at lower doses than anxiety so you may need to take a higher dose to see an improvement in anxiety. But that is something to contemplate in the future if it becomes necessary. It is still early days for you so don't try crossing bridges you haven't come to yet, and may never do.

What's been your experience taking TCAs?

I've never had a panic attack while on an effective dose. My last one was 18 years ago when I was switching to the TCA I'm now on. However, I have close close to having one a couple of times when I've dropped the dose to see if I'd be okay taking less. Apparently not.

People tell me it will improve my mood? I'm curious what that means? Does it mean it changes you?

Sure, you will be changed by taking antidepressants. It's pretty much the point of taking them. Without your thinking being clouded by anxiety and depression you will become different. It is not so much the med changing you, as the absence of the destructive thought pattens it helps banish, though some do report a blunting of emotions which may be a direct affect of their antidepressant. But just how much of this is chemical and how much psychological is hard, possibly impossible, to judge though.

Also, I have always taken a benzo since my 20s to help with Anxiety.

They will have also have changed you to some extent.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 06:00:07 PM »
Ian,

Awesome thanks for the replay.. Your a gentlemen and a scholar :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
Day 9 2nd day on 75mg

Wow today I must have slept practically all all day. I guess the up dose has increased sedation and maybe somewhat of a zombie today. Zero motivation today just slept which is unlike me. The only issue I'm experiencing between up dose is derealization and lack of connectedness or spacey.

I guess I get confused on how I feel since there seems no stabilization on the dose. However, I'm concerned that the derealization will become a permanent future if the depression improves.. Though it might be unlikely I'm just hoping the medication connectedness feeling, dp/dr will eventually lift. The only thing that seems to assist with the spacey ESS feel is to constantly stay busy...

-frustrated
Bookmark and Share

Tags: