Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: DP from Lexapro Does it go away  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Frustrated

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: DP from Lexapro Does it go away
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:46:41 PM »
Ian,

Thanks for the explanation.. Here's additional question for you.. If you had a traumatic event say four months ago. Is it safe to assume that the therapy provided by the meds will accelerate or decelerate the healing process? I have noticed that I have slightly improved  though I have been on many ADs inconsistently.

Is it also possible that treatment doesn't work, and that the healing process of the brain continues and is not waiting on medication for recovery?

Thanks!
Frustrated  :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 09:00:16 PM »
If you had a traumatic event say four months ago. Is it safe to assume that the therapy provided by the meds will accelerate or decelerate the healing process?

Many anxiety disorders and depression first begin within a year or so of a significant life event such as divorce, bereavement, job loss, serious injury, and other traumatic events. Antidepressants will usually help, not hinder recovery.

Is it also possible that treatment doesn't work, and that the healing process of the brain continues and is not waiting on medication for recovery?

The brain can certainly heal itself via the mind. This is the basis of the various psychotherapies. However, you need to be aware that both antidepressants and therapy are treatments, not necessarily cures.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 07:16:18 PM »
Insight,

Thanks for all the wonderful information. It looks like the Lexapro was bad for me. I have now been put on 50mg of Nortriptyline started 8/15 and then up dosed 8/21 to 50mg. So itís been a week at 25mg, and 2 days for 50mg. It seems I have tried numerous medication at least the 3rd gen SSRI to assist but to no avail. So that's why my pdoc recommended Nortriptyline. I didn't notice to many side effects other than dry mouth and some possible dips in my depression. Though I had some days where I felt the depression had lifted, which was and eureka moment since the SSRI never ever made me feel that way. Do you think the medication can help with both anxiety/depression?

So for now this is what I am experiencing on the 50mg up dose from 25mg of Nortriptyline

* Some spaciness
* Dry Mouth
* increase urination
* more depression

Do many of these improve over-time?

Thanks,

Frustrated

Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 09:02:12 PM »
Do you think the medication can help with both anxiety/depression?

The tricyclics (TCAs) can be very effective anti anxiety meds. They have been keeping my panic disorder under control for 27 years.

So for now this is what I am experiencing on the 50mg up dose from 25mg of Nortriptyline

* Some spaciness
* Dry Mouth
* increase urination
* more depression

Do many of these improve over-time?

The spaciness and depression will likely to be temporary, however, they may return for a while whenever you increase the dose, and you'll probably need to take at least 100mg for good results.

The dry mouth may be ongoing, unfortunately. Should this become a serious issue for you then maybe switching desipramine will help. It is the TCA which usually produces few ongoing side-effects, and like nortriptyline is biased toward norepinephrine, aka noradrenaline, reuptake inhibition, though it also blocks serotonin reuptake a little.

TCAs are often prescribed for bed-wetting because they tend to dull the urination urge so you appear to be having a paradoxical reaction. It's therefore hard to know whether it will continue. These reactions may be short-lived, but there is no guarantee.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 24
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 10:44:09 PM »
Ian,

Thanks for this information on TCA's

Good information to know  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

ďYou canít live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 02:05:27 PM »
Ian,

Thanks for following up.. I'm on he 4th day of 50mg of nortrip.. Depressed after taking initial dose, dry mouth slightly improved. Constipation the same but no increase.. Have derealization, or spaciness probably since I'm weaning from 2mg Ativan down to 1mg.. However, I have been trying to do a cross-over from Ativan to Valium since the longer half-life. I did notice that the valium worked slowly and didn't give me same immediate reduction as the Ativan when it comes to reducing the derealization symptoms. But I want to cross over since the longer half-life. I guess at this point I don't know if the notrip is making the derealization or if it's the benzo reduction.. More then likely the latter.

-Frustrated

Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 05:54:22 PM »
I don't know if the notrip is making the derealization or if it's the benzo reduction.. More then likely the latter.

It could be either or both.

Being a very long acting benzodiazepine Valium can be slow to start as it takes a while to reach peak plasma levels, and even longer for the levels to stabilize. Also while the accepted equivalence ratios suggests you need to take 10mg Valium to replace 1mg of its Ativan metabolite, these ratios are not an exact science so you may need to do a little fine tuning.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »
Ian,

Thanks for the replay.. How long for you're TCA to start working for you? I noticed 3 days after taking had a decent day.. But days after were not so good, the a good day here, and up and down. Also, what have been most bothersome Side effects that you noticed? Also, do you still those side effects?

-Frustrated
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 12:40:16 AM »
Thanks for the replay.. How long for you're TCA to start working for you? I noticed 3 days after taking had a decent day.. But days after were not so good, the a good day here, and up and down.

From memory, about 5-6 weeks, after increasing the dose to 125mg during the first week (my stupid idea). TCAs are no different to the other antidepressants in this regard and will typically take 3-12 weeks to kick-in.

Also, what have been most bothersome Side effects that you noticed? Also, do you still those side effects?

On imipramine I had dry-mouth, constipation, excess sweating on warm to hot days and increased photo sensitivity. My current TCA dosulepin, aka dothiepin, produces no noticeable side-effects even though I'm taking 25mg more than its absolute maximum 200mg dose. However, it isn't available in America which given it is by far the most cardiotoxic antidepressant is probably a good thing. Even in Britain where just a decade ago it had about 70% market share the UK drug regulator is discouraging doctors from prescribing it to new patients.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »
Ian,

Day 6 50mg Nortrip

This will the 6th day ***** 50mg.. Was pretty weepy this morning and had a tough spell of depression throughout the day. I know this is and up dose. I'm just curious why the continued depression, and only minimal relief until later in the evening which I'm starting to notice. I'm hoping the medication will make me feel like I do in the evening all the time opposed of what it feels like in the day.

Today was unusual  though.. I was anxious and thought notrip was making me anxious because of the increase. However, I took .5mg of Ativan around 2PM EST and much of the tension, and apprehension had slightly lifted. Strange reaction?

I'm just hoping that the good feelings I had last week were not from the withdrawal of the Lexapro but the notrip itself.

As always thanks for the responses.. Feels better when I can bounce Ideas off of  :happy0151:

-Frustrated
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything