Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: DP from Lexapro Does it go away  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Frustrated

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
DP from Lexapro Does it go away
« on: August 09, 2014, 04:35:26 PM »
Hello all,

I'm taking 10mg of Lexapro and on day 3 of the medication. I suffered from major trauma in April not yet recovered. I suffer from DP/anxiety, and mild depression. I had suffered DP before years ago when I was only taking Ativan. But it seems these drugs make it worse..

I was on Celexa but it was causing me bad DP/DR. Though I think the anti-depressive effects of the medication were working I was on it for a month. Anyhow, my pdoc thought it wouldn't hurt to try Lexapro since my sister benefitted from the medication. I had tried Lexapro in April but was also on Lamictal from another doctors and was only on it for 2 weeks. Has anyone experienced DP/DR from Lexapro and does it go away? I know some people will think that celexa and lex are similar so why try the other.. I have tried 5 SSRIs so far and they all that effect. The only other one was SNRI Cymbalta.

Any help would be great..  :winking0008:

-Frustrated   
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: DP from Lexapro Does it go away
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »
I know some people will think that celexa and lex are similar so why try the other.

They are not similar, they are the exact same active chemical. Celexa just contains a mostly inactive form of it to. So while there can be subtle differences in how people react to these meds, I'm not surprised that Lexapro has been no better than Celexa.

I have tried 5 SSRIs so far and they all that effect. The only other one was SNRI Cymbalta.

All antidepressant may trigger depersonalization/derealization initially. But in most cases this diminishes after a few weeks. I'm surprised that Ativan triggered it.

You could try an antidepressant biased toward inhibiting norepinephrine (aka noradrenaline) reuptake such as desipramine or nortriptyline, but I suspect these may not help as I think there is a big psychological component to these symptoms in your case.

I had tried Lexapro in April but was also on Lamictal from another doctors and was only on it for 2 weeks

Did you experience DP/DR while also on Lamictal?

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »
insights,

Thanks for the response. I guess going from Celexa to Lexapro was not a good idea. I meant to say Celexa did cause bad DR so that's why I got off of it. However, I'm seeing that the Lexapro is doing it as well just not as bad.. Also, the Ativan never cause DR it actually helped me.. I never took Lamical as a stand alone drug, so I'm not sure how well I would do on it. All that I remember is when I April I felt very depressed (was on Lex,lamicital, Ativan).. Today not so much.. seems the Lexapro is helping me with anxiety, and maybe helping with a depression a little bit. I guess I'm not sure what to do? What would you do in this case.. Have you had DP/DR from ADs and has it gotten better for you? It's been 3 days for me.. I'm kind of confused..

Thanks,
Frustrated...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 06:48:36 PM »

I was on Celexa but it was causing me bad DP/DR. Though I think the anti-depressive effects of the medication were working I was on it for a month. Anyhow, my pdoc thought it wouldn't hurt to try Lexapro since my sister benefitted from the medication. I had tried Lexapro in April but was also on Lamictal from another doctors and was only on it for 2 weeks.

I noticed you were on Lamictal - which does help some people with anxiety disorders, when you were you on Lamictal did you notice less DP/DR when taking your AD meds?

I noticed you are having the similar side effect with 5 other AD medications - which I might be thinking, as in my case, taking a ADs without an additional BZD along with my SSRI would produce a similar "anxiety that would mimic DP/DR".

(I say mimic, since I had a full blown case of DP/DR laced with Panic Attacks which were terrible, before I had a chance to actually take AD and BZD medication to halt these problems.)  Compared to some of the relative "minor DP/DR anxiety" I noticed, whenever I was changing to a new medication.

Just a thought...   :action-smiley-065:

[/color]
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »
I noticed that Ian - already asked about the Lamictal  :happy0151:

Bookmark and Share

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 09:26:17 PM »
the Ativan never cause DR it actually helped me..

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. If it helped then maybe you should be on it or another one of the benzodiazepines (BZDs) until the antidepressant kicks-in, which typically takes 3-12 weeks from when you commence a therapeutic dose (10mg of Lexapro).

I never took Lamical as a stand alone drug, so I'm not sure how well I would do on it.

I was wondering if it eased the DP/DR while you were on Lexapro the first time. If so, just as with a BZD it might be worth taking until the antidepressant kicks-in.

I guess I'm not sure what to do? What would you do in this case.. Have you had DP/DR from ADs and has it gotten better for you? It's been 3 days for me.. I'm kind of confused..

I've had neither DP or DR while taking antidepressants, but SSRIs don't agree with me either so I take one of the older tricyclic antidepressants.

IMHO, you need to give Lexapro a decent shot which may mean taking a BZD, or Lamactil if it worked, until the antidepressant is working well. A BZD would be the better option if your doctor is willing to prescribe one for the first few weeks.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 09:48:49 PM »
Ian,

Thanks much.. The doctor has given me both K-pins, and Ativan if needed for the next 30 days to combat the DR. The weird thing though is that DP/DR seems to be the most prevalent effect. I have had no other SEs at all... I' just hoping If I continue it's going to pass.. lots of trial and error and have been at this since April since my break-down. Ugh.. life can suck  :sick0002:

Thanks,

Frustrated...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 10:43:33 PM »
Ian, is very knowledgeable, we at this forum are very lucky to have him  :yes:

Since, the Lorazepam helped your DP/DR - something you may want to consider, since your Doctor was kind enough to prescribe both Klonopin and Lorazepam,:

FWIW:  When I was changing medications and had these weird periods of DP/DR - It was the Long Half-Life Klonopin that really helped, when my doctor prescribed one dose of 1 mg klonopin at bedtime, (I believe it was Prozac being increased from 10 mg to 20 mg at that time) when my DP/DR increased.  ::) 

Within a week of using Klonopin daily at bedtime, the DP/DR was almost completely gone, after about month is was non-existent.

Xanax and Lorazepam worked great for anxiety attacks, but didn't do much with DP/DR side effects, when increasing dosage of Prozac.  - But, Klonopin did.... for me :yes:

Good luck,

Let us know how you continue to do...  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »
Guys,
Day 5 10mg Lexapro

Thanks for the wonderful replies.. Very Helpful.. Today started very anxious as usual so I stayed in bed till around 2pm then I went and did some minor errands and drove around for 45 minutes.. It seems it's worse anxiety wise for me in the morning but seems to lighten up in the afternoon. The Anxiety was overpowering this AM so I took 1mg of Ativan to assist. It helped a little but not much..

However, I get this dizziness feeling a little bit and then some confusion following for about 30 seconds. This happens 5-6 times a day not sure what it is.. possibly a side effect..

I don't want to be overconfident here but I think the lex is helping me with my depression a little bit.. Maybe you can express some insight on this:

If the depression lifts does also the anxiety, or are they separate entities? I asked my pdoc and he said they were related.. I know mine started with anxiety which led to depression in the early part of the year. Or as symptoms leave you left to tackle with the remaining symptoms.. for example, the depression goes then you have anxiety to deal with..

It seems sometimes it's a lot to ask of an AD to handle both anxiety, and depression.. But many docs swear that long-term maintenance of anxiety or ADs of some sort.

Any feed-back would be great..

-Frustrated..

Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »
However, I get this dizziness feeling a little bit and then some confusion following for about 30 seconds. This happens 5-6 times a day not sure what it is.. possibly a side effect.

The dizziness is from anxiety, not the med per se, though by initially increasing anxiety levels it is probably contributing to it. Anxiety and other emotions are mediated by the non conscious Limbic system that alerts the conscious frontal lobes to perceived threats, real or imaged, which the frontal lobes must process to decide whether the threats require action. In an anxious state the volume of threat signals from the Limbic can overwhelm the frontal lobes sometimes producing confusion.

It seems sometimes it's a lot to ask of an AD to handle both anxiety, and depression.

Anxiety and depressive disorders are different points on a continuum of disorders caused by the same underlying brain deficit, a lack of brain cells in a part of the hippocampal areas of the brain caused by chronic high levels of stress hormones, particularly cortisol. Antidepressants encourage the growth of new hippocampal brain cells and strengthen connections between the hippocampi with other Limbic system structures and the frontal lobes. It is the new brain cells and strengthened connections which produce the therapeutic effect, not the meds directly.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 08:46:41 PM »
Ian,

Thanks for the explanation.. Here's additional question for you.. If you had a traumatic event say four months ago. Is it safe to assume that the therapy provided by the meds will accelerate or decelerate the healing process? I have noticed that I have slightly improved  though I have been on many ADs inconsistently.

Is it also possible that treatment doesn't work, and that the healing process of the brain continues and is not waiting on medication for recovery?

Thanks!
Frustrated  :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 09:00:16 PM »
If you had a traumatic event say four months ago. Is it safe to assume that the therapy provided by the meds will accelerate or decelerate the healing process?

Many anxiety disorders and depression first begin within a year or so of a significant life event such as divorce, bereavement, job loss, serious injury, and other traumatic events. Antidepressants will usually help, not hinder recovery.

Is it also possible that treatment doesn't work, and that the healing process of the brain continues and is not waiting on medication for recovery?

The brain can certainly heal itself via the mind. This is the basis of the various psychotherapies. However, you need to be aware that both antidepressants and therapy are treatments, not necessarily cures.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Frustrated

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 07:16:18 PM »
Insight,

Thanks for all the wonderful information. It looks like the Lexapro was bad for me. I have now been put on 50mg of Nortriptyline started 8/15 and then up dosed 8/21 to 50mg. So it’s been a week at 25mg, and 2 days for 50mg. It seems I have tried numerous medication at least the 3rd gen SSRI to assist but to no avail. So that's why my pdoc recommended Nortriptyline. I didn't notice to many side effects other than dry mouth and some possible dips in my depression. Though I had some days where I felt the depression had lifted, which was and eureka moment since the SSRI never ever made me feel that way. Do you think the medication can help with both anxiety/depression?

So for now this is what I am experiencing on the 50mg up dose from 25mg of Nortriptyline

* Some spaciness
* Dry Mouth
* increase urination
* more depression

Do many of these improve over-time?

Thanks,

Frustrated

Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 09:02:12 PM »
Do you think the medication can help with both anxiety/depression?

The tricyclics (TCAs) can be very effective anti anxiety meds. They have been keeping my panic disorder under control for 27 years.

So for now this is what I am experiencing on the 50mg up dose from 25mg of Nortriptyline

* Some spaciness
* Dry Mouth
* increase urination
* more depression

Do many of these improve over-time?

The spaciness and depression will likely to be temporary, however, they may return for a while whenever you increase the dose, and you'll probably need to take at least 100mg for good results.

The dry mouth may be ongoing, unfortunately. Should this become a serious issue for you then maybe switching desipramine will help. It is the TCA which usually produces few ongoing side-effects, and like nortriptyline is biased toward norepinephrine, aka noradrenaline, reuptake inhibition, though it also blocks serotonin reuptake a little.

TCAs are often prescribed for bed-wetting because they tend to dull the urination urge so you appear to be having a paradoxical reaction. It's therefore hard to know whether it will continue. These reactions may be short-lived, but there is no guarantee.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 10:44:09 PM »
Ian,

Thanks for this information on TCA's

Good information to know  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: