Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: You could be HA, if you use these cliches, ;)  (Read 886 times)

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: You could be HA, if you use these cliches, ;)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »
Excellent post!!!

Can I add - "Should I go to the ER?"  If you're asking, the answer is no.  If you're sick enough that you require emergency care, you'll know it.  There will be no questioning.

about a year and a half ago I asked that question about one of my girls.  I had picked her up from Jazz band practice after school.  she opened the van sliding door to fling her stuff in then closed the door.  i see a strange look on her face as she opened it again.  at any rate she gets in the front seat and says, "I think I slammed my finger in the door"   I'm like , "you think?"  lol.  I took a look and it was swelling up and bleeding.  Yet I  am thinking is this just an 'ice it and go on"  or more serious?  It was still pediatrician office hours and I was, literally,  two minutes from there.  I call the office and tell the story and could they just look at her finger cuz I didn't want to sit at the ER for hours if this was a band aid thing.   :dazed:   

Long story short, the ped and nurse practioner said it needed to be x-rayed and stitched.  the wound couldn't be glued because of its location.      so I did end up needing to take her to the ER.  Luckily, I think we were only there an hour and a half.     It wasn't broken, happily.  it did end up with 4 stitches.  It pretty much blew her playing in the concert that night though.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline OmegaMan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 02:07:12 PM »
That self checking thing really hit close to home. After my panic attack the last few days were filled with me doing pushups, balance exercises, checking my hands for trembling, etc. I started to realize that I wasn't making sure I was OK, I was basically waiting for something to go wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
That self checking thing really hit close to home. After my panic attack the last few days were filled with me doing pushups, balance exercises, checking my hands for trembling, etc. I started to realize that I wasn't making sure I was OK, I was basically waiting for something to go wrong.

in late 2008/early 2009 during my third round of 'having' MS,  I spent a fair amount of time doing a self-test for my eyes that my sister, lovingly  ::), told me about.    Yeah, damn bit of good that stuff does.....  you are in a near panic worrying you will "fail" it.  then you "pass" it  then 1/2hr or an hour or 20 secs later you do it to yourself again.

yep self-check/test= asinine
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 09:29:50 PM »
"Yeah but he could have missed something!"
They're going to put this on my gravestone someday, I swear.  Or something along the lines of "The doctor finally missed something!"   :laugh3:  And I will have earned it. 

But I do think that people without anxiety often don't have an understanding of how actual anxiety is compared to feeling anxious occasionally.  That doesn't mean we get to give up and spend our lives complaining about it, but I do think the frustration of dealing with anxiety AND loved ones who belittle us for it is a legitimate problem.  There's a difference between expecting people to enable us and wanting people to support us. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »
I don't think people should be nasty or mean-----either the non-anxious to the anxious OR the other way around. 

this, of course, is my opinion:

what I find around here, anyway, "support" and "enabling" is in the eye of the beholder.   Some anxious peeps think support is receiving endless reassurance  and when anything that is the least bit challenging is posed, it is considered mean or unsupportive.  and I can say that because I have been on both sides of the issue.  so I know how it feels and I know how freaked out/irrational the thinking gets.

we have to remember it is us anxious peeps who have the disorder.  it is our thinking that is the problem.  We are the ones who need to do the "heavy" lifting on understanding. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 05:14:44 PM »
That's true; I was thinking more about the people who "just don't understand why we can't just get over it/not think about it."  Or "why aren't you better yet??" 

On the other hand, my girlfriend telling me that I was "riding the crazy train" again the other day was totally justified. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 06:09:22 PM »
da crazy train

what town were you headed to Looneyville or Off Your Nut Junction    :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 06:11:05 PM »
 :laugh3: taking a lengthy vacation in both, most likely.  She puts up with more than most people would; no idea how she puts up with me when I get like I get. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »
it can definitely be hard.  I am glad she can tease you gently about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 11:39:55 PM »
Her sister is a hypochondriac so this isn't new territory for her.  Sometimes I can be a bit much but usually she'll let me know if I'm getting to be too frustrating.  Truly I am the luckiest girl in the world.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 12:18:49 AM »
"I think I'm dying of xyz disease because..." This is one I said a lot myself but now on anxiety medication I haven't said that in weeks and sixpack I am heightening my dose of medication (Veneflaxine) for my anxiety it's going to be 75mg and it will also be a 24 hour extended release pill type so when I start it tomorrow night I will have the side effects for awhile but it will be very worth it  :party0006: :party0006: :party0006: :party0051: :party0006: :party0006: :sign0169: :sign0087:
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 03:01:30 PM »
bump
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 05:36:08 PM »
I disagree with everything on that list! If it weren't for my SYMPTOMS, I wouldn't have anxiety. It's my SYMPTOMS fault, not mine!

LOL. As usual, very good post.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bearandbug

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 05:44:56 PM »
I can majorly relate to this post. I can't stand not being able to trust my own instincts but I just can't. From experience, I can't. And yet I always think something must have been missed. I think 'I can't help it, I can't move on until I've been reassured over this.' And then, even if I am reassured, there'll be something new. I frustrate myself!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
I can majorly relate to this post. I can't stand not being able to trust my own instincts but I just can't. From experience, I can't. And yet I always think something must have been missed. I think 'I can't help it, I can't move on until I've been reassured over this.' And then, even if I am reassured, there'll be something new. I frustrate myself!

Yep reassurance for a hypo is like crack to an addict.  it works for a little while.  it feels very good  BUT the "high" soon wears off and a HA peep is soon looking for another round.   Reactive behaviors keep a person in the vicious cycle----a whirlpool. 

As I say:  if you keep shooting yourself in the foot, the foot can't heal.   Same goes for getting mentally healthy.  If you continue googling, seeking endless reassurance, monitoring, self testing, you cannot heal.  There is no way around it:  Getting better requires doing positive/proactive things LONG term even though it is hard.  Of course who ever said it was easy?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: