Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Constantly worrying that I offended someone  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Constantly worrying that I offended someone
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:00:55 AM »
I constantly obsess over something I said or did that might have offended someone. I have a rather silly personality and sometimes I will say something goofy and then worry that I offended someone and that they hate me. Sometimes I obsess over what I said for days. The thought gets stuck in my head and sometimes I even seek out the person and apologize ( half the time they weren't offended at all).

I also can obsessively think that I am dying of a terminal illness.  I always need evidence to talk myself out of a trip to the doctors office.  I check with people a lot too to make sure I am 'normal'.

I also have obsessive thoughts about leaving relationships but I think that is different, maybe.  I can obsessively imagine how I would leave my relationship, but not for any good reason.

But no repetitive behavior. Is that OCD or GAD?
Bookmark and Share

Offline superapple

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constantly worrying that I offended someone
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 10:21:18 AM »
sounds like GAD
Bookmark and Share
If I don't reply to your post send me a PM with the link to the post or send me the message :)

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »
It may be a combination of both. I would talk to your physician about your concerns.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:49:26 AM »
I talked to a therapist and my psychiatrist about my symptoms again and I believe we have come to the conclusion that mostly, I have GAD but I do have a little bit of OCD.  Let's call it GAD with a side order of OCD.  Both said the OCD part is the "checking" that I have to do to make sure I didn't offend and I have to do it multiple times or else the thought get fixed into my brain.  Many of my thoughts are about what is morally right or wrong instead of what I truly believe.  Either way, after all these years I am starting to realize there is no perfect answer to what I "have", just treatments that work or don't. Right now, for me, it is medication. It helps a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fr8train

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:04:57 AM »
regardless of what you have you are not alone.  I feel you and am going thru a hard time myself atm.  I am sending good thoughts your way and hope you feel better.  and like the other poster said never never never give up!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:42:31 PM »
Positive thoughts to you too!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline scaredrabbit

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »
I have most of the same worrying that you have.  I always feel like I said something offensive and always end up apologizing or feeling the need to clarify what I just said.  But then afterward I feel dumb like so self conscious, I think I made it worse by doing that.  Have people told you that you offended them?
Bookmark and Share

Offline scaredrabbit

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 01:38:06 PM »
I just noticed you already said sometimes you seek out the person to apologize.  I do that too but I think it starts making a person too self conscious and worrying about every little thing they say.  That can create alot of anxiety, I also get the repetive thoughts of thinking I'm dying from a terminal illness. I'm sorry you are dealing with these things as I know from experience how it can affect you.  Try to stay positive.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »
Hi scaredrabbit - I talked to my psychiatrist and he said its a combination of both.  He said that the apologizing and "checking" part is the OCD part.  It's the 'doing something and then feeling like you need to do something to release the thought' part that is more OCD but it's all a continuum, GAD and OCD.

I have "checked" many times to see if I offended someone and 95% of the time I haven't. The challenge is figuring out what is real and what isn't. Sometimes I have done something wrong and it needs to be addressed. These days I have a distinct feeling of when it's real versus not, which feels good. But I still obsess over things when it's "not".

I have had some pretty hard times lately with medication struggles, depression and anxiety but I know things will improve. We all go through good times and bad.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: