Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Having to yawn to get a deep breathe  (Read 492 times)

Offline Paisley2011

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Having to yawn to get a deep breathe
« on: July 18, 2014, 08:29:24 PM »
I have had this sensation for about 3 weeks now. Every few minutes or seconds it seems to me, I have to yawn to get a deep breathe. I try to get a deep breath without yawning but it is impossible. I am so short of breath. I have now started having chest pains too which in return makes my anxiety worse. This is really starting to get me depressed because it doesn't matter what I do to not think about it's always there. I have been to the doctor over this and had a breathing test checking for asthma and it was normal. I have been on anxiety medicine for a long time and it doesn't help this sensation! I'm constantly having panic attacks over it because I feel like I can't breathe. It's the worst feeling in the world. Has anyone ever had this problem? Please let me know if you have and what you done, it's driving me crazy
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
Re: Having to yawn to get a deep breathe
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:12:46 PM »
Hi Paisley2011,

I have experienced exactly what you have. Trying to yawn (or for me sometimes even burp to make room in my throat) in order to get a deep breath and fill your lungs. It's a really scary feeling but it's definitely brought upon my anxiety - going into panic mode and freaking out only makes it a thousand times worse. The best thing you can do is try and calm down by focusing on your breathing and closing your eyes. The chest pain is something I also experience which comes hand in hand with anxiety especially if you're experiencing an attack or panic. Once you calm down you will notice the chest pain relieves itself. Try your best not to focus on the pain or not being able to get enough air, the calmer you are the easier it will be for you to breathe and get the oxygen you need into your lungs.

Brittany
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline Paisley2011

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:26:10 PM »
Thanks for replying! It's just so aggravating. I hate this feeling, like I'm suffocating! I look like a crazy person walking around all day yawning just to get a breath! My mouth stays so dry from it to! I keep hoping every morning when I wake up that this will be gone and I will feel better again but it isn't! Praying we both feel better soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »
I struggle with this but here are some tips that have helped me.

1) Exercise! Yes slowly start a cardio program. I'm now running 3-4 miles a day 6 days a week. It relieves the anxiousness that causes the shortness of breath.

2) Benzodiazepines. I take these very sparingly but they can help in an acute attack. The fact they help is an instant diagnosis. Benzos don't relieve more sinister causes of shortness of breath.

3) Acceptance. This is hard but accepting its anxiety and not life threatening is a huge part of my recovery.

Best wishes to you...you are not alone in this.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline Ezekiel

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:19:12 PM »
This same exact thing happens to me, especially when I am driving.  And I can't even get a yawn to happen.  I start feeling disconnected, like I can't feel my face.  I try to explain it like this;  you know this cheap halloween masks with the rubber band that holds them on your head?  If you were to put one on, and pull it off your face about an inch or 2 and trying to see the world from that perspective.

The only thing that comes close to working for me is having the cold air conditioner full blast in my face.  Every once in a while I will catch a full breath and feel like I can go on for a few more miles before I start panicking again that I will faint from lack of oxygen.  Sometimes I just have to pull into a parking lot and collect my senses.  Maybe call someone to get my mind off my situation.

I had it severely over the weekend.  I had woken up at 3:30 in the morning, my usual wake up time, but it being Saturday morning I went to bed late - I could not catch my breath for anything.  I found that giving a little cough after the futile inhale seemed to alleviate it just slightly.  Eventually I turned my hemi-sync MP3 and listened through my headphones from my iPhone - and that seemed to do the trick.  Maybe it's mental and somehow I have it reasoned in my mind that that relaxation technique is some sort of "safe zone" for me.  I ended up getting out of bed at 9 that morning - which is unheard for me, being an early morning person.

So, i can sympathize.  And regardless of my therapist asking, "well, have you ever passed out", and being no; it still does not put my mind at ease.  I figure, there is always a first time for everything.  and then the therapist said, which is true; that, "if you did pass out; it is just your mind re-regulating your normal function because you are not capable on the conscious level at the time".  Which is a little soothing, if I am at home on the couch when that regulation happened, and not driving, or in the middle of a store, or business meeting.

Essentially, before I go to a business meeting, I have to take at least 1mg of Xanax about an hour before in order to cope with it - then a few hours later, after the meeting, fight the urge to go to sleep gazing at my computer, trying to be creative on the heels of a stressful situation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 12:54:53 AM »
There were actually a bunch of studies done about this, since a lot of panic sufferers get it. They actually measured the breathing and such of people during panic attacks, especially the ones who felt like they couldnt breathe right.

Apparently, there was absolutely no physical change at all, in any of them. They were breathing fine, though sometimes a bit faster than normal.  But all the people, no matter how bad they felt, were perfectly fine the entire time.

I know that may not help you during an attack, but its something good to remind yourself about. Everything we know about this shows the feelings to be entirely a result of the anxiety, not of any physical problem. So no matter how terrified you get, you're still breathing right.
Bookmark and Share

Offline recoverr

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »
i am going through this exact same thing right now. i hope yours is feeling better. know that you're not alone in this. we will be okay.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »
As mentioned I have this "breathlessness" but its a perception, not reality. I've learned that if I was truly short of breath I would have blue lips and nail beds, couldn't speak and couldn't exercise.

The dead give away this is anxiety for me is the breathlessness is relieved by exercise or a dose of klonopin. Exercise or klonopin doesn't relieve shortness of breath cause by cardio-pulmonary issues  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline curlyandcrazy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 05:20:12 PM »
I've also had this exact sensation, it lasted for weeks. For me, doing meditation once a day at the same time helped me fight the constant, low-level anxiety that I had been experiencing at the time. Deep breathing is also so important, especially making your exhales slightly longer than your inhales. This helps get your CO2 levels back to normal, because it's often those messed up levels and overbreathing that cause you to feel short of breath in the first place. I get really anxious about deep breathing when I'm short of breath, but I find 3 sec inhale and then a 4 sec exhale is manageable for me, and helps fight that breathless, yawning feeling.

Also, another trick to remind yourself that you're ok and that your oxygen levels are normal: push on your nail, and if the skin underneath returns to its normal pinkish skin color (it will turn white when you push on it), then your blood is fully oxygenated  :yes: They taught me that one in the emergency room once when I went in for shortness of breath...

Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »

Also, another trick to remind yourself that you're ok and that your oxygen levels are normal: push on your nail, and if the skin underneath returns to its normal pinkish skin color (it will turn white when you push on it), then your blood is fully oxygenated  :yes: They taught me that one in the emergency room once when I went in for shortness of breath...

Thank you for the nail tip, I hope that is actually true because I feel like I'm going to be self-checking and obsessively doing this "nail check" multiple times a day now  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline curlyandcrazy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 01:39:45 PM »
No problem brittany :)

(And I actually did look it up to check that it's legit. I wouldn't recommend googling it, especially if you're like me and a bit of a hypochondriac about googling symptoms and all the scary results that come up, but here's a link which explains how it works: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003394.htm)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tiffannyb123

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »
I have this ALL the time:( My only anxiety symptom, and one of the worst in my opinion. Breathing exercises don't work for me, they actually make me more anxious and lightheaded. I used I run and cannot anymore. It also effects my driving, as that is a huge trigger for me. I had this same symptom about 5 years ago and went away when I started buspar. Tried it this time and didn't work. Dang.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greenzebra

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 11:48:53 PM »
I used to get this all the time, but I found that breathing out before I try to breathe in is helpful :) Also taking slow or shallow breaths, because eventually your lungs will suck in more air.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MeridianAD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 06:50:54 AM »
Yes, I have this all the time. I had it while reading the thread actually. Some days it's so bad that I try to yawn about 5 times in a minute, and only one of them actually succeeds. It's so frustrating when even taking the deepest breath I can without yawning doesn't feel satsifying... and then I can only yawn once out of every 5 tries.

The best thing to do is just try to distract yourself and not think about it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: