Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Going into stores  (Read 350 times)

Offline Cowboy-Kid

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Going into stores
« on: July 16, 2014, 08:06:24 PM »
Hey, I am just wondering ways in which you can force yourself into big stores like Wal-Mart or Costco without panicking? Every time I try going in a big store like this, I am overwhelmed with paranoia. I also get the feeling that I could lose my mind. Everything around me is overwhelming and it causes me to panic.

How do you deal with this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bgp179

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Going into stores
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:50:16 PM »
One thing for sure is you are not going to lose your mind.  If you lost it, you wouldn't have anxiety.  You would be blissfully ignorant of everything and everyone around you.

If I were you, I would just take baby steps.  Walk into a Walmart and just hang out in the front of the store for a few minutes then leave.   Then next time, hang out a few more minutes and so on.  I feel that in my case, time and patience has helped with anxiety better than anything else.  Know that if you had a bad anxiety day today, tomorrow might not be as bad.  So don't lose hope.

Now I am not a psychiatrist but hopefully this helps. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline beldandy0331

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:49:26 AM »
i have panic attacks too and i am really scared to go to stores by myself, especially i have a 2 year old baby with me.. but what i did to overcome this anxiety is to do morning exercise everyday. 30 minutes running  makes your heart beat fast but after couple of days, you will get use to it. so every time i go to Walmart, my fast heart rate does not  bother me anymore..

Try to face your fear. Go to stores as often as you can. Practice makes it perfect. If you want to change something, you have to make it a habit. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline Xjunkie4jesus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 05:53:38 AM »
I find that if I walk around the entire perimeter of the store first, it helps me see how I could leave quickly (the best routes) if needed and that helps me to know I have a way to leave VERY quickly if I feel overwhelmed. On the city bus, I put my ear buds in and listen to my mp3 player so nobody will talk to me therefore avoiding any uncomfortable confrontation with a couple people I know who ride the bus. It's unlikely that I'd run into these people as they have other transportation, but I feel better if I've got a plan just in case.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alicat22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 08:03:35 PM »
When I go into a big store like Costco or Walmart I always take a cart, it helps keep e balanced and gives me something to hold on to (if that makes any sense). Then I slowly go back as I feel more comfortable. Take some relaxing breaths and say soothing things to yourself.  Sometimes I can make it 3/4 of the way back, sometimes I can't make it to the 2nd aisle, but I do keep trying. It is big and over whelming, but try to section it off in your mind and and hover where you feel comfortable and then a bit more if you can. You might be uncomfortable and feel panic but you will not lose your mind. You are perfectly sane.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kercare

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:51:41 AM »
I had my very first panic attack in a Walmart. It was scary and awful. I avoided Walmart and big stores for months. I eventually met a therapist who told me to take baby steps. One day I went into Walmart for 10mins and left. A few days later I went in for 15mins and left. I just took baby steps and that helped a lot.
I still have issues with big stores though. When I am in Walmart now days and start to feel panicky, I always try to look for the exit doors. Even if I am way in the back I will look toward the front for the exit and that will make me less anxious.
Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mindhop

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:28:31 AM »
I don't have a bad anxiety about going into such stores, basically I can do it if I have to but I really really hate the experience and it certainly can affect my mood ( never in a good way). These places are so far away from what nature intended and I personally find that the further away from nature I am the more likely I am to be anxious. In these stores we that we are bombarded with artificial lighting, plastic petri chemical based items to buy everywhere and marketing ploys to get us to be brainwashed and buy this and that. Not to mentioned the often crowded atmosphere and maze of isles that have to be navigated in order to find what we needed/wanted to buy in the first place.
My advice, is that if the item required can't be sourced elsewhere then visit these stores early in the day, or late at night before closing when they are the least busy, this way at least you won't have the added extra stress of crowds and long waits at the registers. Go in with a clear focus of what you need and ask the shop assistant when you enter for directions so you spend less time looking for it. Basically get in and out as fast as you can...there are much nicer places to be spending precious time, anxiety or no anxiety!
Bookmark and Share

Offline inuyasha1luv

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 10:46:37 PM »
I am so happy to have found this site. I relate to just about everything so well. I have a very hard time in stores. one thing my therapist told me to do is before I go imagine me going there and not panicking and just getting through it easy. and when I am in the store she told me to distract myself by talking to my children just simple things like oh I need to get this this and that, or name off colors of items to them and such, so not only am I being distracted but I am also teaching them. stores are still super hard for me but I hope to be able to go to them with ease soon :)
Bookmark and Share

Online Tiffannyb123

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 08:30:35 AM »
I found a lot of help in the book Hope and Help for your Nerves by Claire Weekes. It is a must read for any anxiety/agoraphobic patient. I downloaded it right into my phone.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: