Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Latuda as monotherapy or adjunct, gotta love the merry-go-round  (Read 609 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Latuda as monotherapy or adjunct, gotta love the merry-go-round
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 03:08:01 AM »
How long does Latuda take again to do anything?

You should notice a difference in a few days.

and how will I know what pill I don't need?

Given the apparent scatter-gun approach your psychiatrist seems to be taking the only way will be to drop them one at a time to see whether your condition changes. IMHO, the correct way to do this is to prescribe one med, if it works well then no further action is required or if there's no response then drop it. However, if it has positive results but falls a little short of full effectiveness, or there are other symptoms which need addressing then add a supplement. Again, if it works then cool, but if it doesn't then it's dropped and something else tried.

I think I like the anti depressants with a buspar like chemical because my response seemed to be good when I was feeling good.

So you felt good when taking Viibryd, but only if things were great anyway? What about when things weren't going so well?

Viibryd and Brintellix do the same thing. If Viibryd wasn't a great success then Brintellix may not be either. A SSRI plus Buspar may be a better option as the ratio can be fine tuned.

What happened when you were on Wellbutrin? Did you always take it with the other meds, or were you on it alone for a while?

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dannysmiles19

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 08:11:14 PM »
The Wellbutrin was given to me in the hospital and it was with seroquil and later remeron as well. It was never on its own. Wellbutrin was not the right chemical for monotherapy for me at least. Viibryd alone just wasn't effective is what im saying. when it reached therapeutic levels, I was surviving, not quite living. I was alive, but I was kinda dying because monotherapy wasn't enough and I went off abilify earlier in the year.

I think augmentation and/or adjunct therapy works with the anti depressant effect because it seems to me that there is mood instability tendencies within a possible unipolar diagnosis. I think I have bipolar tendencies without a mood stabilizer but maybe not actual bipolar disorder.

In any case, viibryd was effective, just not effective without an adjunct agent. If I were to measure myself on the depression scale they use, I would say I had very obvious residual features. But adjunct treatment has pushed me closer to "remission" from symptoms. The psychotherapy part is a breeze, it's these damn meds that are a pain.

So, in conclusion, lol, thank you for conversing with me first and foremost. It takes a great deal of care to be doing what you've been doing for all of these people. It's phenomenal to give the time and opinion. But secondly, I think I like Latuda being on board along with lamictal. I think these other meds with the antidepressant must be the go to method for me. So now the only issue left is discerning what meds are needed and which ones are just being pumped into my body unnecessarily. Lamictal may be a crucial piece of my puzzle. You make the argument that Vortioxetine is basically viibryd, however, it is another drug. So it is quite possible that this drug may serve me well in my life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 09:23:30 PM »
You make the argument that Vortioxetine is basically viibryd, however, it is another drug. So it is quite possible that this drug may serve me well in my life.

They are both SSRIs with 5-HT1a receptors agonist properties which is the primary Buspar target. Vortioxetine (Brintellix) may or may not work better than Viibryd. Only time will tell.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:54 PM »
I'm having the notorious brain shivers and zaps. What is your take on "rebound depression"? Is the rebound effect a chemically induced phenomenon or is this my original state coming back as the drug leaves my body?

I'm stuck in a crossroads, Ian. I don't really know if I need maintenance therapy or if I can live life off of Anti Depressants. I feel very susceptible to further depressive states off of them, and my dad has pill shamed without really trying to. This isn't fun, but it's the kind of crap I have to deal with. I wanted to use the other word.

Why are there two dannys? why is there a Danny on psychiatric drugs and a danny off of them? My mind enters a different realm when off of them. I feel like my original, natural mood state returns and I am facing a decision to either stay drug free danny, or stay on pills to protect Danny from brain cooties. I may have even developed a dependence wherein I don't live life with my drug free body and brain. Ian, I guess all of this rambling comes down to the question of whether or not psychiatry is something I need in my life or not. Can I truly do as well as I have off of pills through holistic approaches? or is my brain truly suffering from a clinical illness that requires medication to treat a damaged brain? I'm so lost... I have a box of brintillex waiting to be started, and now I don't know what to do with myself.

Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 11:38:43 PM »
I'm having the notorious brain shivers and zaps. What is your take on "rebound depression"? Is the rebound effect a chemically induced phenomenon or is this my original state coming back as the drug leaves my body?

The brain shivers and zaps are short-term withdrawal symptoms as brain scrambles to adjust to the new circumstances and then over time the changes the antidepressant created may unravel.

Can I truly do as well as I have off of pills through holistic approaches? or is my brain truly suffering from a clinical illness that requires medication to treat a damaged brain? I'm so lost.

Given this is something you've had for some time it probably won't just go away on its own. If you don't want to take meds then you're only other real option is psychotherapy. The cognitive/behavioural/mindfulness therapies can be as effective as antidepressants. But neither is a cure.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 01:42:57 AM »
 The most amazing thing has happened within the past couple of days. I've wagered the idea that depression isn't actually a disease or disorder, but a normal part of humanity that is simply a mood state below "normal" mood. It's a big thing for me, that's why I'm saying all of this. It's quite a feeling to see it as not a disease when so many consider it to be.

If I have experienced a recurrent variant of depression, it is very likely that yes, it will recur if an anti depressant is not in place to keep my brain in a safe place from decay.

My brain is returning to its pre medication state in terms of anti depressant use. I'm still on latuda and lamictal, but I'm sure you know much about the brain and body healing completely from anti depressants. It varies, but what factors play into a complete recovery of my pre anti depressant state? I'm thinking of holistic possibilities, but I'm running the risk of a full blown major depressive episode aren't i?

If I were to give an emotional/psychological vs. organic ratio, I would say it's 1:3. Two thirds of it seems very organic, and the other 3rd is designated to psychological and emotional difficulties. So that leaves the big question Ian, what is the best bet here in terms of medication? Should I do the combination approach with meds on board, or should I go back to the Danny that battled naturally before the big struggle? I want to make a note that there are residual symptoms right now. No complete recovery.

Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 04:00:39 AM »
Should I do the combination approach with meds on board, or should I go back to the Danny that battled naturally before the big struggle?

The only person that can possibly decide the best way of living your life is you. Noone else is walking in your shoes. I guess it comes down to were you happy being the Danny that was battling naturally? How you respond should tell you which way to go.

The only point I'd make is that to me life isn't supposed to be an endurance test. It should be about being and making others as happy and contented as possible and living every moment of it to the full. It's not a dress rehearsal, we only get one shot at it afaics, so don't accept second best, ever.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 11:51:33 AM »
The Danny off of pills until 18 was my identity. That was the danny coping with this not thinking about a brain issue. I did the best I could, and then at 18 I took lexapro. I took it because I wanted help, so I went to therapy and the therapist said I needed pills to help the severity of it. So here I am now. And one thing that was the best advice of them all was no one should venture for 2nd best. It should be the best for it is our quality of life at stake.I have to determine if I can go natural or not. And I will know in the coming weeks
Bookmark and Share

Tags: