Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Sore throat worry  (Read 112 times)

Offline mct425

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sore throat worry
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:50:08 AM »
Hi all! Just need a push to get my thinking back on the right track.

I woke up Friday with a sore throat. Felt like it was from post nasal drip so didn't think anything of it. However no congestion or stuffiness or cold symptoms appeared. Felt wonky that night and woke up Saturday with it still there. No fever, cold symptoms, or loss of energy. By Saturday night my glands were sore on the sides of my neck and no improvement in sore throat. I googled "strep" to see if this was something I should be seen for, and what pops up on my screen? Stuff about throat cancer!!!  That hadn't even crossed my mind but of course it got me thinking and now it's Sunday. Throat is still sore, tender swollen glands, and new worry over cancer.

I'm going to our local urgent care this morning since it's been 3 days and we leave on vacation Monday, but now I'm worried something could be really wrong.

I'm also concerned that if I do have strep, my 1 year old has been exposed :(

I miss the days when these ailments didn't send fear coursing through me!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sore throat worry
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:25:07 PM »
Saw a dr this morning who ran a strep test which came back negative. I was relieved that my baby hadn't been exposed to it, but also frustrated as it's apparently just a virus that will run its course. I took a decongestant and Advil and the soreness is gone :) just dealing with the lovely drowsy feeling a decongestant causes. But definitely better than the sore throat!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 06:46:02 AM »
Ok, so sore throat started Friday and today is Tuesday. Urgent care dr said  it isn't strep but rather drainage. Told me to take a decongestant to stop the drainage which in turn should help the throat heal.

While there's been improvement, it still isn't totally back to normal. I can talk and swallow fine, but yawning? Feels like razor blades on my tonsils.

So now I'm wondering if there's something bigger going on? I didn't think "tonsilitis/pharyngitis" lasted this long. I'm not on antibiotics as dr said it was viral...but wondering if I should get a second opinion?
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 07:40:14 AM »
You may want to check with your doctor, but my big fix it for sore throat, colds, coughs, etc. is Vit. C. It boosts the immune system so that the buggers which are always in us do not get the upper hand.

Just something to consider. Wishing you the best.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: