Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Regaining confidence after an anxiety episode  (Read 160 times)

Offline Hoosier_Student

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Regaining confidence after an anxiety episode
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:08:53 PM »
I recently have been through a really severe episode of anxiety during the end of May and the beginning of June. Because of medication and talking to a counselor, I have been feeling a little better.  However, what bothers me is that the recent anxiety episode robbed me of my confidence. Before, I had travelled quite a bit and even lived abroad.  Now, I don't feel confident do much of anything or go anywhere.  Instead, I'm worried about what will happen if I have another major anxiety episode.  How can I get my confidence back.  Does anyone have any tips to deal with the trauma from my period of anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline zav4999

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Regaining confidence after an anxiety episode
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »
I know how you feel. I went through a bad anxiety attacl in april which led to months of depression. I'm finally back to my managable anxiety but after all I went through it brought my confidence dwn. Everytime I get pretty bad anxiety I feel like I take a step back. We need to hang in there with this
Bookmark and Share

Offline agonisingsoul

• In the middle of the crisis
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:57:17 AM »
With time and patience. Such episodes can be very traumatic and you need time to allow to heal.
Medication and therapy will help you feel safe and that anxiety is not coming back as long as you stick to them.
However, medication does not treat the underlying problem and one should be aware of this.

I myself too had my self-confidence brought down by such episodes. But I was able to regain some and even go live in two different countries despite the problem. And despite my last episode (from which I have not recovered yet) I am still planning to change country and life once more (I have postponed this for a couple of months due to the crisis).

Probably we will always feel a little weaker because of our anxiety/depression issues and have a fragile self-confidence. However, being aware of this, accepting it and maybe lower a bit our ambitions is a good first step.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hoosier_Student

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »
With time and patience. Such episodes can be very traumatic and you need time to allow to heal.
Medication and therapy will help you feel safe and that anxiety is not coming back as long as you stick to them.
However, medication does not treat the underlying problem and one should be aware of this.

The frustrating thing is waiting for that healing.  Although I feel better than I did a few months back, I still have don't feel myself.  I wish I could just flip a switch and feel 100% my old self again.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline agonisingsoul

• In the middle of the crisis
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
Such episodes make us grow and mature too. So, maybe you will not be the same again, having lost some of the innocence you once had. I felt that unfortunately my crises led me to suddenly mature and become heavier and less cheerful as a person. But then, that comes with age too, so I guess you can see it as a step towards adulthood.
Bookmark and Share

Online lfiasche

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »
 Around easter time I had a pretty bad depressive episode followed by some serious anxiety. There were some seriously crappy months between then and now. I too lost a lot of confidence. I work every day, do some camping with my family. However I used to be a very free spirit and would just pick up and go on a road trip for no reason, etc. Now the thought of that makes me very anxious with what ifs ! Ive traveled as far as Ireland but now a trip to NYC seems daunting.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: