Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Health anxiety flare up in the last 6 weeks  (Read 105 times)

Online StrawberryCraze91

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Health anxiety flare up in the last 6 weeks
« on: July 12, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
Hello, I have suffered from health anxiety and constant worry for as long as I can remember.  Over the years I have been terrified I will die of blood clots, flesh eating bacteria, various cancers, and a host of other illnesses.

The last 6 weeks have been a nightmare for me, I had my first panic attack after months in mid May, and I have had about six more since, my most recent being this past Wednesday.  Over the last 6 weeks I have convinced myself that I have a slew of health problems and it just wont stop.  I am terrified something is wrong with me at this point, I keep poking and prodding and examining my body and I google symptoms obsessively.  My symptoms have been tingles, pain in my sternum and armpits, headaches,joint pain, itchy skin, loss of appetite, weight loss, dry mouth and eyes, and a cold that I developed last week.

It all started in mid may of this year, I had a panic attack and I was convinces the dizziness, tingles and heart palpitations were caused by anemia, I googled symptoms and this lead me to believe I had a bleeding ulcer or thyroid condition.  I made an appointment with my GP and over the next few days I decided I must have flesh eating bacteria or sepsis caused by a cluster of ingrown hairs(I saw a story about how ingrown hairs can kill you and went into anxiety overdrive).  This combined with fear of another anxiety attack caused me to be a wreck before my appointment.  My GP ordered blood test(CBC, thyroid and chemistry) which all came back fine, except for slightly high blood protein.  I googled this and convinced myself I must have myeloma or MGUS.  These fears have since left me.

I then developed a stomach bug that had been going around town, I convinced myself it must be colon or stomach cancer.  It was over completely after a week and my mind was put to rest.  All the while I was experiencing tingles and muscle spasms.

I then saw a story on melanoma and how ALL moles might potentially be cancerous. I immediately began an anxiety attack coming on and went to go check my moles, sure enough there was some flaking/dry skin over a few and I immediately thought that I must go have these biopsied.  It consumed me and I was out of it at work and could barely function.  Then three days later I developed pain in my armpits and sternum, I googled again and I am terrified I might have lymphoma or breast cancer.  The pain has lessened over the weeks but I am still scared.

I also began to have nightmares about being sick, being in the hospital and finding lumps and cysts all over my body I googled this(yet again) and I am convinced this is a warning sign(I saw a bunch of stories on this).  I have been having very weird vivid dreams and it is freaking me out.  I dreamt I was eating popcorn and sure enough the next day someone bought popcorn into work.  Needless to say I am a complete wreck at this point.  I also developed a cold last week and I am terrified it is something more sinister.  I am even waking up in fear and have an intense sense of dread all day long.  I don't do the things I enjoy anymore and I am constantly googling symptoms and medical horror stories.  Some symptoms even appear after I google.  I am driving my family crazy, over the past few weeks I have had every condition known to man and I am scared.  Now I have pain near my ovary and I think I might have breast cancer.

I have an intense feeling of dread for the future and I am terrified I might not get better,  I am terrified of dying and it's almost as if I have convinced myself I am seriously ill and it is driving me crazy.  I am so scared,  I can't sleep at night and when I do sleep it is rough and not very good,  I am losing my mind.   I just keep seeing medical horror stories and keep dwelling on it.  I am only 23, I want to get married and have a family, I want to be free of anxiety and I want reassurance.  I am just so scared at this point.

I am seeing my doctor again Monday and I want to request a CT scan and Ultrasound, I am not sure if they will believe me though or take me seriously.  I am scared to go in.

Please help me.
Bookmark and Share
Pslam 56:3
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Health anxiety flare up in the last 6 weeks
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 06:55:48 PM »

Hi Strawberry  :action-smiley-065:

I am very happy you are joining us, you will find many people here that can relate  :yes:

I was reading your introduction and it sounds so familiar to me... I am almost positive it is ANXIETY that is at the root of this, In my case it was biological and not psychological, and it there are many methods available today to place this ANXIETY under control, and stop the anxiety attacks and Obsessive fears, that I also had in the past.  :spineyes:

Also, since you are seeing your doctor on Monday, I would strongly encourage you to download, print and fill out the Self-Quiz and place them in a folder, so that you can take with you to show your doctor - It will really help feel a lot less nervous and more prepared for your doctor's appointment and they will take you much more seriously:yes:

Check out this helpful Links at this Website - so you can learn more about what you might be experiencing.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHpanic.pdf - Self Test for Panic Disorder.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHgad.pdf  - GAD – Self Test

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHdepwomenknows.pdf - Depression for Women – self test
http://www.anxietyzone.com/MENANDDE-coverpage(1).pdf – Depression for men

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMH317.406_F_TSH_treatable.pdf  - Depression is Treatable

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,26.0.html – Social Anxiety overview

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHocd.pdf - OCD - Self-test

Again, I would print out this material and especially the self-test and bring them with you to your next Dr. Appointment  :sign0169:

You are now taking the first steps to improving your life!   :yes:

Again, Welcome !!!  You have a bright Future Awaiting  :nature-smiley-016:

Make sure to let us know your progress  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Online StrawberryCraze91

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Health anxiety flare up in the last 6 weeks
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 05:21:50 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, I am still nervous but a little calmer.
Bookmark and Share
Pslam 56:3
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.