Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Blood Clot/DVT fear  (Read 424 times)

Online Jdgate99

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Blood Clot/DVT fear
« on: July 12, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »
I keep worrying that I have a blood clot in my leg. I have been to the ER twice with it and they did two ultrasounds, blood work, and a CT. All those tests came back normal, but my leg is still bothering me some. They said I pulled my calf muscle. What is worrying me now is that my big toe went numb on the same leg (however I have been on my feet since 6 this morning and just now sat down.) I read horror stories online where people say the doctors missed the clot. I don't have the risks factors except I travel some but not long flights or car rides. I'm in shape too. Should I just let it go and believe it's a pulled muscle?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood Clot/DVT fear
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 03:53:48 PM »
yes you should let it go and KNOW it is a calf muscle pull OR just one of those odd body aches that don't mean a derned thing.   

you know sometimes a cigar is just a cigar  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Worrier1978

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »
A few months ago I was worried I might have a bloodclot in my leg, even though common sense told me it was probably a pinched nerve. Just to be safe I went to the ER & the doctor was certain it was a pinched sciatic nerve. The main symptom it was causing was my foot to "fall asleep" for long periods of time. (And just before going to the ER the "pins & needles" feeling started going up my leg, which really freaked me out.) Pulled or tight muscles can absolutely make related areas feel numb. So if you pulled your calf muscle, your toe (or toes) going numb could be from that.

Please listen to the doctors. They do know what they're doing. It sounds like they did thorough tests. Relax! And no more Googling!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline judi957

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »
I've had a blood clot in my right leg.  It doesn't make your toe go numb, but I will not tell you the symptoms.  But standing on your feet for a long period of time will.   As sixpack, said, know that it isn't a blood clot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:42:37 PM »
I've been scared of blood clots for the past week and a half......I've also been to the ER twice and all I can say is that you're lucky they did a CT Scan for you because I have been refused the CT scan due to the fact that they keep deeming it "unnecessary" and continuously tell me that I'm low risk. You should be able to put your mind at ease with the CT scan because those are very definitive tests, unfortunately I was not granted one so I am still extremely paranoid.

Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 03:24:36 PM »
I've been scared of blood clots for the past week and a half......I've also been to the ER twice and all I can say is that you're lucky they did a CT Scan for you because I have been refused the CT scan due to the fact that they keep deeming it "unnecessary" and continuously tell me that I'm low risk. You should be able to put your mind at ease with the CT scan because those are very definitive tests, unfortunately I was not granted one so I am still extremely paranoid.

I beg to differ.  you would still be scared--either you would doubt the ctscan, like you did the d-dimer OR your anxious thinking would have moved onto a new disease fear that the ctscan didn't cover.  Or you would be thinking the radiation from the unnecessary ctscan would harm you at some point...   Because that is how health anxiety works.

did you read the post I shared with you about how tests for blood clots are decided?  you were given the d'dimer because upon clinical examination, the doctor found you were at low risk BUT still ran the d-dimer, which is also  excellent, and it was negative or normal.   
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online Jdgate99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 03:52:14 PM »
They did a CT of my lungs not my leg. They wanted to rule out a PE because I was short of breath (due to a panic attack. My leg still hurts some but I'm also getting pain near the knee and in the thigh area. I'm still paranoid due to reading stories on the internet (why did I google? Why?) of the ultrasound being negative but them still having a clot :-( stupid stupid google.
Bookmark and Share

Offline judi957

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 06:00:09 PM »
Jdgate99

Please believe the ultrasound results.   :yes:   The ultrasound of my leg showed a blood clot.  The radiologist did not miss it.  They are quite visible and can't hide anywhere.   My dr. called me within an hour to tell me about it.  And if you have a pulled muscle somewhere, it can affect the other muscles in your legs since you may be overusing them to compensate for the pulled muscle.  And please, don't goggle.  It just makes things worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 08:42:48 PM »
The other day I was just thinking I haven't worried about blood clots lately and now my leg hurts, and I'm ready to freak out! Part of me wants to go to er right now, and other parts of me are like this leg has bothered me on and off for years in the same way it feels now. So how can it be a blood clot?! I hate anxiety!can you get ultrasound at dr office or d dinner or have to go to er?
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:09:02 PM »
I had a clot in my left leg.
I went to the ER and they did a dopplar and they saw the clot.
If anything it has been my experience that they will put you on blood thinners just to be sure. SO if they did not see a clot when you under went the tests things are fine.
I know from experience too that sciatica can be a mimic of what you might think a blood clot is like.
Bookmark and Share

Online Jdgate99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 09:16:16 PM »
Msgb98 was it obvious you had a clot? All I am having is like aching pains in my leg that come and go plus muscle spasms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 09:19:11 PM »
I did not know what was going on but my mother who is a nurse did. Aches in the leg can come about because of trigger point pain from other areas. It can come from pain in the feet.
I had a swollen leg and it was red and hot.
Bookmark and Share

Online Jdgate99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 03:25:28 PM »
I still can't shake the fear; especially, with my toes being numb just even when I just wake up. Also, the aches in my leg are still there and this has been happening for close to two weeks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 05:16:13 PM »
what proactive things have you been doing to "shake the fear"?  If you've only been doing the reactive behaviors, you are going to have a hard time reducing your anxious thinking about this.  which will make it impossible for you to "shake the fear"
Bookmark and Share

Online Jdgate99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »
I went back on my anxiety meds roughly four or five days ago. I try not to focus on my leg, but it's hard.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: