Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: pms or deadly illness?  (Read 137 times)

Offline avianwaif

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • artist and crafter
    • Poke This Member
pms or deadly illness?
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »
I'm worried that I have a fever... I just had gallbladder surgery a couple weeks ago. The only possibilities to cause that would be infection post-op (could be deadly), pneumonia (could be deadly), or something benign like pms, high stress/exhaustion, a reaction to one of the prescriptions I had to take post-op (could be serious), or some kind of dehydration. I'm expecting Aunt Flo any day now. The daily nausea and temperature spikes (hot flashes?) are scaring me badly. I contacted my doctor yesterday but won't hear back until Monday.

This morning's fever was a whopping 97.9 f... some days you just end up in the 'sick' role. It sucks. The spike before that was 99.2 f. So, besides waiting for word from my doctor, what should I do?  Should I chock it up to pms -- anyone else here get 'allergies or cold' symptoms before their period?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: pms or deadly illness?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 07:26:15 AM »
I'm not a doctor of course but I don't believe a fever is part of PMS.  In fact,your body temperature actually drops a day or two before your period starts.

Also, 97.9 isn't a fever.  Maybe slightly elevated if your temperature normally runs low.
Bookmark and Share

Offline avianwaif

Worried
  • artist and crafter
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 05:57:45 PM »
Thanks for replying, mct425!

Yeah, yesterday was a day of "no actual fever" - I just felt like I had one all day long. I had chills and terrible heat intolerance all day - had to have the a/c set at about 68 just to be able to breathe. At 10 pm, my temp. was 98.2f. My body temp. usually rises beginning the day of ovulation, and staying around 98.6F until my period starts. But it very, very rarely goes over 98.6f - I've only caught it or had it caught up there in the 99's 3 times. I was told each time that it wasn't a fever... but to me, it is, because it's out of my normal range.

I'm just wondering what's going on with my body and why it's so out of whack this time around. It's really scary - mostly because I was told to watch out for fever as a sign of infection. Normally I'd not be so hypervigilant - I'd not bother worrying about it (if a doctor "signed off" saying it was not a concern) but the whole 'could be a serious infection' thing has me scared out of my wits! It was my first surgery ever - this is all new to me, and it's another big reason it's scary.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 07:46:28 PM »
Hormones, girlfriend, hormones.. I just started my most f-ed up period of all time, and my body is doing all sorts of crazy-assed things. If you have a post-operative infection, you'd be running a fever in the 100s. Remember, 98.6 is AVERAGE, and if you were truly running a fever, you'd feel COLD and having chills, not having to turn on the A/C just to make it through the day.

Also, unless your doc is all like, "make sure to take your temp for medical reasons," I'd lay off on itómonitoring only leads to more worry, not less.

Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »
99.2 is still considered a normal temperature.  98.6 is average.  So no way in heck could 97.9 be a fever unless you naturally run at around 96 degrees. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline avianwaif

Worried
  • artist and crafter
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:30:03 AM »
Thanks, vardnas and mollyfin, for adding support!

Vardnas, you're on the money! While I did feel cold, chilled, and "like I had an infection", I also felt hot at different times during those 'fever' days, which is why I had to crank the a/c. Nothing bad came of the experience - it just felt miserable. Aunt Flo came to visit last night. Amazingly, most of my symptoms - the chills, extreme heat intolerance, breast pain, crippling anxiety / body irritability, etc. - began to disappear yesterday afternoon. I got a good night's sleep last night. Woke up this morning and felt like I do whenever I have my period. Just cramps and tiredness. This is good.
So, this little episode is over. Thanks again for everyone's support.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 10:34:34 AM »
Hormones are the actual WORST.

I've gone through spells that seemed to be hormonal and sometimes I would get so hot I would sit by the AC with it cranked as low as it would go, and still feel hot.  But I was shivering while feeling like I was burning up.  So I got into a shower turned up hot and stayed in there until I stopped shivering.  And the hot feeling mostly went away with that. 

Moral of the story, hormones really mess with your perceptions of temperature even if you don't show a fever.  It's bizarre and yeah really disturbing, but as far as I know not dangerous.

And hormones go craziest during PMS - I'm glad you've gotten some relief now that your period is here. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: