Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Just had my worst google scare in a while  (Read 166 times)

Offline matt1990

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Just had my worst google scare in a while
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:04:23 PM »
Okay apparently this isnt meant to be. This is the 3rd time posting since the website keeps glitching and automatically deleting posts.

Friday morning I was laying in bed on my right side when suddenly my right ear went out, started ringing and I became dizzy. Regretfully I decided to google "my ear just went out" and the first page I came to was bad news, it was titled "Ringing in your ear? It could be a sign you're just moments from going deaf". The article was about that super model who went deaf in one ear from Sudden Hearing Loss. I was freaking out. The symptoms matched mine exactly!

They say SSHL is a medical emergency. I never knew about this condition before and it is pretty scary stuff and fairly common about 1 in 1000 people get it. So this means we are 10 x's more likely to suddenly go deaf than to die in a car accident.

Apparently if immediate treatment isnt received there is a high chance of permanent deafness. Many people go deaf while waiting for their ear to clear up thinking they just have congestion or ear wax. I found a glob of ear wax in my right ear and got some of it out. After about an hour the ringing went down. The hearing has come back to almost normal, but it is still muffled sounding as compared to my other ear and I have been dizzy all day. Its friday and I wasn't able to get an appointment with my dr. I don't want to be a hypochondriac and I cant afford more medical bills from an ER visit if its not necessary. Any ideas? The internet stories about SSHL really scared me. How can you tell if its just ear wax or when to seek help?

I did post a question on justanswer.com and while the dr made me feel a little better I'm still worried this is something serious. http://www.justanswer.com/medical/8jsh0-last-night-laying-bed-right-side-when-suddenly.html?L=T&al=1&utm_source=sys&utm_medium=email&utm_content=crev3_viewyabutton&utm_campaign=ChatNotify&r=ems%7C2014-07-11%7C577

Also part of me is becoming worried that this might be caused by MS. Recently there have been other odd symptoms like numbness on my legs and back. Last week my feeling suddenly went numb and painful to the touch around the inside of my lower left leg down through my ankle and the side of my foot. This lasted for a couple of days and then went away. It was very weird and I really have know idea what else would cause it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 94
    • Poke This Member
Re: Just had my worst google scare in a while
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »
Hey Matt,

Sorry your posts keep getting deleted! Must be very annoying.

I think what you're going through is a really good example of how counterproductive habits can keep us locked in a cycle of fear.

Google will forever spit out the scariest results, no matter how innocuous the symptom. This is the danger of googling. We go on there for a bit of reassurance, but ultimately, we find things that make us more scared, not less. In an ideal world, we wouldn't jump to the Internet for answers, but if all health anxious types could keep themselves from googling symptoms, then none of us would be here.

The chances of you having sudden hearing loss are low. Very low. Next to completely impossible. But whatever is going on with your ear is separate from what's going on with your anxiety. Reassurance seeking, whether through googling, asking questions on just answers, posting here, or even running to the ER—it's all counterproductive. The trick is to remain relatively calm in the face of scary symptoms, and to try and refrain from reacting negatively or fearfully. That's incredibly difficult, but an essential place to get to in your battle with anxiety. The next time you experience a disturbing bodily symptom (I get that ear thing sometimes too and it is unpleasant), try and keep yourself from googling. I know the uncertainty of not knowing what's going on with you will be hard to deal with, but the more you do that, and the more you realize that your body is NOT falling apart, the more calm you'll become. It probably sounds counterintuitive, but trust me—this is the way to get over an anxiety problem.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Tags: