Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Chest Tightness and Extreme Shortness of Breath  (Read 170 times)

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
Chest Tightness and Extreme Shortness of Breath
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm in a very bad place right now. For about a week now I've been struggling with this horrible tightness in my chest and also a sharp pain that comes and goes. I have been extremely short of breath, I feel like I can't get a full breath in and that even if I could the tightness and discomfort in my chest is preventing me from actually doing so. Just walking around the house I have difficulty breathing. All this going on in the past week has sent me into a full blown craze. I thought I was doing so well and now I am convinced I'm dying and can't stop crying. I've been to the hospital twice in the past week because I was so short of breath that I was so dizzy and lightheaded that I swore I was going to faint.

I'm convinced that I have a blod clot which is causing all of this. Most of the doctors or nurses I have seen tell me it's anxiety related but I still refuse to believe them. They ran a D-Dimer Blood Test for me which is negative and assured me I don't have a blood clot but how can a blood test be 100% correct? I'm so scared. The doctor eventually said that he thought I possibly have costocondritis, which I think is just him trying to me any diagnosis so I would leave.

Another odd thing is that I constantly feel as if I need to clear my throat by burping or letting air escape. Even sometimes I need to yawn or open my mouth really wide in order to try and let a sufficient amount of air into my lungs. I also feel extremely nauseous.

Can anyone please shed any insight onto what I'm going through/feeling? Has anybody experienced anything similar at all that can help to ease my mind? I'm an absolute mess right now.
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline mikewise77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Chest Tightness and Extreme Shortness of Breath
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:47 AM »
Hi Brittany, I am so sorry that you are going through this horrible stuff I have very similar symptoms that also sent me to the ER a week and a half ago. I've had these symptoms off and on for around 6 years but in times of high stress which I have been in they get worse and my focus on them gets worse. I worry about my heart and figured I had angina and heart disease but went to a cardiologist and got the all clear.

No medical science is not an exact science but when a Dr gives you an all clear it means that nothing that they are seeing in your information is any cause for alarm, you tightness and your issues breathing and the lump in your throat are all telltale signs of heightened anxiety, just like I have. It sucks, it's horribly uncomfortable but it will not kill you. Try to relax and enjoy yourself despite the tightness and feeling uncomfortable. I find the tightness in my chest is always related to muscle tension in my midback so using a moist heating pad on my mid back helps to relieve that tension even if only for a little while so perhaps you could try that. Hot showers are also your friend. Hang in there!
Mike
Bookmark and Share

Offline wolf44

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
I have been dealing with the pain for 4 months. Some days, weeks etc... are better than others. This week has been really bad. I was doing alot better and I think you will continue to improve. I myself have not ran to the hospital every time I have a symptom. Unfortunately As what mike said, my pain is most likely coming from my back as well. Also, I would put money on that I have a tear some where in my chest. Regarless, we have to trust the tests and the doctors. It is tough, believe me when I say that. I have done so many tests to rule out heart, lungs and other major causes. I still fear some days that there is an issue with my heart. Try meditation or something that will keep your mind busy.
Bookmark and Share
"We spent half our life crawling around the bottom of a glass bowl, and we ain't going back." Raphael TMNT

The past is all that's gone,
The future is yet to come.
This moment is all our own.
We should live this way,
Just building up our day,
Now and forever.
-Eiffel 65 Song

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:48:47 AM »
Same same.  It's funny how we all have similar symptoms but different fears- blood clot, heart disease. I fear that the feeling I'm having is extreme fatigue and I think of the scary things that cause that like the Big C.  I feel like I keep having to take the deepest breaths ever.  But I have had this issue a couple times before, had chest x-ray's blood drawn and everything was fine.  Can't help but thinking this is different or I've had something all along.   I know my thinking is completely illogical though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ProudMommyto3

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »
Hi I too have these symptoms but they are caused by acid reflux and Costochondritis... I am not taking anything for the Costochondritis I only have a bad flair up once in a while then I get prescribed steroids off my doctor.. For the acid reflux I am taking Losec stomach tablets and they are brilliant... This might not be the case with you but speaking from experience 9 times out of ten it is nothing serious and the added stress & worry can make you feel worse than you actually are... Keep positive and I hope you get answers soon
Bookmark and Share
Fear..It's just a feeling and we can get over it

Online marie204430

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:06:19 PM »
Hi again,
Unfortunately, I have experienced what you are talking about as well. I had a scare for a few months where I thought I had angina or some sort of heart disease that would kill me very soon. For weeks, I was too scared to even walk around a lot, afraid that I would trigger something that my heart couldn't handle. I was eventually diagnosed with costochondritis or simply anxiety..Its kind of true when people say they just diagnose someone with costochondritis just to give them something, but they only do so when they've basically dismissed everything else.
At the moment, what are you worrying about having? I had the exact same symptoms as you once again and had to go to 4 doctors and a well known cardiologist as well as have 3 ecgs and a chest x ray to eventually put my mind at rest.
What you are describing is honestly some of the most common anxiety symptoms...and I managed to put myself into a frenzy of those two nights ago while worrying for ovarian cancer, tricking myself into thinking it had spread to my lungs. When you keep trying to breathe so heavy and take deep breaths, you're putting a strain on your lungs. Its could also cause headaches and dizzyness because you arent letting your body breathe properly, how its meant to. When I keep thinking I can't breathe, I take extremely heavy breathes over and over again to the point where I make my chest sore.
The nausea could also be attributed to simply being scared about all of it...this was one that has hit me even before my hypochondria flared up.
I hope you get better soon. And a d-dimer test is very accurate, so I really would try not to worry too much about it but as I've said, I've been exactly where you are before.
Here I am, still alive, but still worrying that this is the time I am finally right about my disease and I am dying.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dee_tee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 01:59:05 PM »
Hi Brittany,

I can totally understand where you're coming from. I was having some of those symptoms too......feeling like I can't take a deep breath in. When I do try to take a deep breath in, then my heart skips a beat. I am nauseous ALL THE TIME, as well as fatigued and shaky. My whole body has this weird internal shaking. It's hard to deal with.

I think as soon as we allow our mind to go to a dark place and say "i don't feel well", then we're allowing ourselves to actually feel those symptoms. While they are real and we really feel them, I think we can create a lot of it in our mind. When I keep myself busy, I don't usually notice my symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »
Forgot to add that when I had this before, I also was diagnosed with acid reflux.  What is costochondritis?
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 05:04:54 PM »
Forgot to add that when I had this before, I also was diagnosed with acid reflux.  What is costochondritis?

I was told by the doctor that costochondritis is pretty much just inflammation of the muscles in your chest and ribs area. I was prescribed some Naproxen which I didn't even fill because in my mind that's just heavy duty advil.

I think you as well as the people who commented above you are correct because I've been burping up acid and my throat has been extremely tight. I truly just want this to all go away.
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Tags: