Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Health anxiety and getting in shape  (Read 69 times)

Offline morlnor

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Health anxiety and getting in shape
« on: July 10, 2014, 02:03:04 AM »
I have been suffering from HA for a couple of years. I had a miscarriage 2 years ago and have become VERY lazy and inactive ever since I was put on bed rest. Now I'm ready to get back in shape so I can start trying to conceive again. My only problem is I am terrified that I have damaged my heart from being so lazy. I am 28 years old and used to be in pretty good shape. But now my mind keeps telling me that I will die from a heart attack if I try to get in shape. Where should I start?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Health anxiety and getting in shape
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 02:10:46 AM »
When I first started getting in shape after being very lazy, I would have bad shortness of breath and a racing heart and other aches and pains. It freaked me out, it seemed abnormal that I would get so winded so quickly, I thought I was irritating my heart/lungs and it was indicative of something more serious. But I kept pushing (even though I felt like I was a ticking time bomb) and my lungs and heart adapted to the new workout program and I was just fine.

I think in order to start the process, you should just dive right in. Let yourself get winded and exhausted the first time, tell yourself it's not going to actually kill you, no matter how bad your heart hurts. Remember the pain will be real because your body is taking a shock, but the anxiety is all in your head, there's nothing wrong with your heart, your heart is racing and reacting as all hearts do when anyone starts getting in shape. After you live through the first experience you will feel more confident doing it the next day and the next and eventually you won't worry about having a heart attack.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: