Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: tired of pretending I'm okay  (Read 138 times)

Offline artsyJ

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
tired of pretending I'm okay
« on: July 10, 2014, 12:16:25 AM »
Is anyone else tired of hiding their anxiety JUST to fit into normal society? I feel like I have to exhaust tremendous amounts of energy just to walk on egg shells for other people, so that they don't become bothered by my unrealistic worries, panic attacks, and other various problems. I feel like people should just give me a break and try to understand. What I despise is when people tell me that something is perfectly fine, and that I have no reason to act the way that I do. I used to hide away in my thoughts and feel ashamed and hate the way that I felt. Now the way people act just makes me angry. I usually tend to agree with others, and feel selfish and whiny saying this, but I feel like people NEED to understand and work with people like us much more than they do, instead of making us feel terrible and painfully mask REAL problems. You wouldn't tell a person with a broken leg to shut up and keep it to themselves, so why tell that to someone with anxiety? Saying all of this makes me feel like a weak minded person, as I am always told to toughen up, but maybe, just maybe, WE are the toughest people around. I hold a job, go to college, and keep up relationships all while dealing with something that should cause me to me bed ridden. Sometimes it is so crippling, I do NOT know how I make it, but I do. I guess I'm not as weak minded as I believed. Just needed to get that off of my chest. Feel free to add input.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mairi

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: tired of pretending I'm okay
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 01:11:02 AM »
 I know what you mean! People should be more aware of how people with anxiety disorders are feeling and accept them. What people don't realize is that anxiety hurts just as much as any other ailment, mental or physical.  Sometimes I think I'd rather be in physical pain than feel the way I do. "You wouldn't tell a person with a broken leg to shut up and keep it to themselves..."- exactly. Just last month I went in for a blood test.  I am terrified of blood and needles and of the thought of a needle sucking blood out of a vein. The doctor who was going to draw blood knew I had an anxiety disorder. Of course, I cried like an idiot. She called me retarded. I'm so sorry you're feeling like this. I and the people on this forum (who all deal with situations similar to yours) are here for you.  Hang in there. You're doing the best you can and that's all you can do for now. ;-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline AfternoonRose

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
Relatable.

But I think some people just don't WANT to make an effort to understand and sympathize with a person with anxiety, because they view us as pessimistic, negative and maybe even defeatist (or worse, as attention seekers!). Just like we exhaust ourselves to fit in the crowd, it would be exhausing for them to take the time to understand us. So why would they do it? Unless it's a loved one or a relative, I don't expect any sympathy/support from the average crowd.

Not talking about ALL people, but most people I would say.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AfternoonRose

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:30:11 AM »
Oh yeah. Anxiety is contagious. Which is why those who have it, tend to hide it, and those who don't have it, generally don't want to be near it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline KellboRose

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »
I know what you mean.  I remember when I was in high school my "best friend " used to get really annoyed whenever I mentioned my anxiety. One day I told her I was going to a councelor about my anxiety and she got really angry about it and said there's nothing wrong with me I'm just shy.  I was so annoyed because every day was so hard for me to deal with and I always tried to hide it and because no one saw how I felt they didn't believe there was a problem. I quit school when I was 14 because I just broke down at school one day and felt like I couldn't do it anymore.  My family told me I had to go to the Dr and start taking anti depressants yet they didn't want to know about the problem.  I was just supposed to get over it. It really annoys me that people just don't want to know. I'm always there to support people close to me when they have a problem but they don't seem to think anxiety is a real problem. I think people have trouble understanding anxiety because they only feel a "normal" level of anxiety in stressful situations so they just can't relate to the overwhelming feeling of extreme anxiety. It's only logical that they can't really understand how it feels but it really annoys me when people just have no empathy at all and just ignore anxiety issues as being serious.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: