Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I'm scared I'll go to hell (sorry about the religion stuff)  (Read 185 times)

Offline Mairi

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
 Again, this post is related to my huge fear of death. I'm sorry, but it just keeps getting worse and worse and won't go away.
Anyway, as you can tell from the title, I'm scared that I will go to hell and God hates me and will punish me. (I know I probably shouldn't be talking about religion.) Why? Because I would do almost anything to not die, and lately I've been searching things on the internet such as magic spells to make you immortal. I am Catholic, in fact my whole extended family is devoutly Catholic, and if I recall correctly there is a verse in the bible that says not to use magic spells. I feel horrible about this. I know I shouldn't even be thinking about it, but I really would do ANYTHING to live forever. I don't want to die!!!  :traurig001: I'm scared that God will punish me and send me to hell for this. I haven't tried any of the spells yet, but if I become really desperate I will. Also, something that my mother told me today made my fear worse- Something like "With all the uncertainties in life, sometimes worrying will be unavoidable. But if you stop trying to control your life and let God be in charge He will take care of you." I got really scared because controlling my life is exactly what I'm trying to do, and it was like God was telling me that no matter what I will die. I don't want to let God  be in charge because God wants me to die and if I let Him be in charge he'll let me die! But what about these spells? What fiery wrath awaits me in afterlife now? What would my mother say if she knew what I'm looking at online? What would my extremely religious grandmother who yells at any family member if they didn't go to mass and prays the rosary every single evening say? Then again, this is coming out of pure fear, not the desire to be some sort of wild creepy witch person. No, not at all that! (Sorry if I offended anyone.) I just really, really, REALLY don't want to die ever!!! I've never been so scared in my whole life. I don't think I'd ever truly known real fear before this realisation that I will actually die hit me. Please help! Please answer soon! I really need some reassurance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm scared I'll go to hell (sorry about the religion stuff)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:54:49 AM »
Death is merciful compared to living forever. I personally have no desire to see the universe in 10^40 years, when its mostly dominated by black holes. Or the universe in 10^100 years when the only thing left is photons. Of course it is possible that in 10^10^56 years another big bang could happen, but im not that patient.

Maybe you should talk to some religious authority about this though, since my response is based solely on science.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:19:30 AM »
Forgive me for asking, but is God not an all loving and all forgiven person? I am not religious myself. But I have talked to priests, both catholic and church of Ireland. No matter what you think you are doing wrong, there is nothing bad enough to make God want to punish you. Sit down with your local priest. Explain your fears. What I talked about with the catholic priest was the fact that I gave up on my faith. He told me that I was at least honest to admit to that and God sees such things. I may have gave up on the faith but somewhere within I still thought about it. Enough to bring it up in conversation. There is many a verse in the bible that if we took to heart we would all go mad. You know it said that Joseph divorced Mary when he found she was with child. The church is against divorce is it not? Yet it is there in the bible. The bible is not historical fact. It was written by man to bring others into line with the beliefs of a few hundred others. Not every word is meant to be read and used in the way you are using the words about spells. People experiment in life. That is allowed. Many a person in the bible strayed. That did not mean hell for them. Even those closest to Jesus. Even Adam and Eve. No wrong came to them.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 20
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 07:29:08 AM »
I understand why we feel like we need to be apologetic to others when we talk about religion.  Many have been victimized and abused by religion.  If anyone is offended by religion please stop reading my response.  But, I think you are getting to the heart of many peoples fear of death...the unknown.

My relationship with God and Jesus is of prime importance in my life.  With that said, I am not a fan of organized religion.  Since I was very young I asked tough questions of those in authority about the belief system taught to me.  It's shame based, law based and doesn't lead you to God, but to fear.  God didn't give us a spirit of fear but of strength and a sound mind.  I asked all the tough questions and researched the concept of hell for about 2 years...looking at it historically, and through the Hebrew and Greek languages.  What I found made sense with a loving, compassionate God who loves his creation (agape) unconditionally.  Traditional religious views do not make sense and are not consistent with a picture of a forgiving God who is wishes to save all of creation.  I think many walk away from the church due to these obvious inconsistencies...thinking that is the only option of belief.

What I found is that the concept of eternal punishment wasn't the main view of the church until about 500 A.D..  There was much debate and several well known church fathers were believers in a concept called universal reconciliation.  It's rumored that close to his death the founder of the Methodist church John Wesley also came to believe in universal reconciliation.  It wasn't considered heresy until the church decided to take an official stance much of it pushed by the political powers of that day who also had influence with the early English translations.  That is when the Bible was being used by the church and the ruling parties to instill fear and to control rather than liberate and free people.

I am a personally believer in the Bible being inspired by God in the ORIGINAL languages...and question all English translations.  I question traditional doctrine.  But, I will tell you that I feel more free to love a beautiful and loving God than the image the church tried to cram down my throat.

I could go on for days...but this probably isn't the place for it.  But, if you have questions on want to talk...this is my favorite subject and I have many resources that may help you.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:31:06 AM »
I don't think you're alone in your fear of death, I'm sure the vast majority of people have the same fear.  This may sound strange, but if you can change your thoughts of death maybe you won't be so afraid of it.  Think of it as the natural course in the circle of life.  My Mom passed away about two years ago, I always feared the day I was going to lose her, I didn't know how it would happen or what the circumstances would be surrounding it.  It was the not knowing that was scary.  But when she passed she did it on her terms, she wanted to be at home, and she was.  The hard part was that I was the one who discovered her after she had passed, once I got over the initial shock (and it took a few weeks) I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.  She looked peaceful as if sleeping, she wasn't suffering anymore, strange as this may sound it was sort of beautiful in a way.  And being that I am a person of Faith (so was she) there is that promise of living on after death.  So, my thoughts are that she is hanging out with her Mom and Dad and the many family members who have gone on before her.  I am now very much at peace with the physical loss of her, and I know that she is in a much better place.  My thoughts are happy ones for her.

Don't worry, I don't think it is as scary a thing as you are imagining it to be.

Take care :)
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:06:48 AM »
Can't resist posting here when death is my steady preoccupation, though how to get there is even more potent. The first thing I resolved is that there is no God (with due respect to other beliefs). What a world we might have if we just learned not to kill, not to hate each other, wage war, cause suffering. For many, suffering terribly one way or another, death can be a relief. We don't know where we come from and know of nothing thereafter. Nothing to fear except what others will suggest with vivid imaginations, manipulations, no foundations.

CarrieAnn, my guess is your mother was at peace with death which is a great gift we can give to those we leave behind. That is what she did for you, thank you for sharing. It is what I hope to do for those I leave behind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »
God doesn't hate his children at all and he doesn't punish his children he is a loving , forgiving God and wants the best for Us all.

As Human Beings we are born then yes we will pass away and no spells will stop that because no one lives forever it is part of Life .

Learning all you can about the Lord would be more helpful then learning all you can about spells and yes actually it does say in the Bible to not believe in False Prophets . The Bible has been rewritten numerous of times but I would rather believe then not to believe and take that chance . I am scared for sure because I am human I am more afraid of suffering before death because of how I feel everyday.

Just be careful in your searching for spells and some people may cause you more harm then good. I believe going to therapy would help you if you aren't. 

You will come through this and be fine so Please live everyday to the fullest and know you are Loved by the Lord! He isn't out to get you at all .

Take care,
TyeDyedButterfly
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »
Thank You So Much Tina!  My Mom was a pretty sweet gal!  I know that she had fears of her own about death from conversations we had.  But, she wasn't afraid of what was to come after she was passed, it was the process of getting there that scared her.  She didn't want suffering, or to be poked and prodded in a hospital.  I do think she thought about it often, because for years she used to say, "now if I die----this is what I want you to dress me in (in the casket)"-----once she wanted a beautiful night gown, but changed her mind, lol! And, unfortunately to this day, that is the one regret I have---what I dressed her in after she passed---well, I was so distraught after she passed I couldn't think straight on what to put her in, although she had so many clothes to choose from, there was a skirt and jacket hanging on the wardrobe door next to her bed, and since she was always requesting what she wanted to be wearing when she passed I thought that was what she wanted, why else would it be hanging there?  But, a couple months later I found the most beautiful Ivory colored skirt and jacket with gold delicate floral design all over. That was what she should have been in!  Oh well!  I did remember to put white cuffed ankle socks on her (she loved to wear those around the house because her feet were always cold!)
She was raised Catholic, and had a very strong belief in God, so I think that had a lot to do with her not being afraid of death---she just had a knowing that it was going to be ok.

Just a quick thing my Dad always used to say,  well when he was a little boy in Sicily he lived near the house (or building) were they would put the bodies after people passed.  He told his father he was afraid to walk past it because of the dead bodies in there.  His father said, "It's the live ones you need to worry about!!  Not the dead ones!!", haha, I always laugh when he tells me that story.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mairi

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 12:24:35 PM »
 Wow! Thanks for all the replies! I didn't think I would get so many! CarrieAnn, I'm so sorry about your mother and I know she is in a better place now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 12:40:46 PM »
Thank You So Much Mairi!  I hope you have gotten some comfort from us  :yes: 

Just remember this, don't be so afraid of dying that you forget to live!  Live life, be happy!

And I agree with the person who said don't look for magic spells, those things are nonsense.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 01:29:46 PM »
Death is a popular subject for some, me included. Pay attention, Mairi, to CarrieAnn's suggestion to live your life. Believe it is the fear of living that can easily translate into something else.

CarrieAnn, your mom and I have a lot in common, cold feet, too many outfits (we enjoy), fear of how we get there, and the desire to be at home. However, I have a practical concern (you need not answer, of course) that refers to the legal culpability of the person standing by when the ailing person refuses treatment. There was a case in CA where a husband who followed his dying wife's wishes not to call anyone, was hauled off to jail. This worries me. Don't want the old boy in the slammer.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: