Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: depression getting worse  (Read 226 times)

Offline creamcheese

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
depression getting worse
« on: July 09, 2014, 10:39:15 PM »
Ever since I graduated school, I have a severe loss of energy, excitement and motivation. Nothing interests me anymore. I have not made good friends in college, I barely have any friends from high school. I honestly cannot name a "best friend". I wasn't even interested in my major, but I did it because it was considered a good program and good degree (in healthcare) that would potentially guarantee me a job. I have spent my entire college career applying to numerous internships, jobs, both in university and outside, gone in person to several places, talked to managers and have only gotten consistent rejections. I have asked faculty and personal acquaintances with honest feedback, but many have never pointed out to me areas of weakness I need to fix. I have worked hard and volunteered my time in countless organizations but it has made no difference. I have tried to connect with university faculty, but even after volunteering my time in assisting them as an TA, I have been rejected for recc letters and assistance for post-graduate programs that I felt would have really helped me. My field is undergoing a major saturation, and with no employment during school and no faculty members willing to write me letters of reccs (despite the numerous projects, presentations and work I have done all receiving positive grades and feedback), I have been at a major disadvantage. I have applied to 30+ jobs so far and heard no word. I have graduated with a low GPA and have no direction as to what I am doing in life. I wanted to go to medical school, but it seems slim with my low GPA and I feel discouraged as I feel like my intelligence level is low. The activities I have been interested before don't interest me now. I cannot sleep properly at night and wake up at late hours in the day cannot find the energy to go outside of my house. I am bored of socializing and constantly feel pressured seeing many of my friends are happy/successful with their work/education and looking forward to finding spouses to get married, and find myself crying and upset with no direction in life.  I am blessed to have wonderful parents and a supportive family but am constantly overwhelmed with anxiety of losing them too. I hate seeing them sad at how sad I am, but as much as I tell myself everyday to improve, I just feel so confused with what I am doing with my life. People think I am settled and now have graduated with a degree and will easily find a job, but they don't know how hard the job market in my field is and don't understand how many failures I have had to endure in my undergrad career. I feel guilty for complaining as at least I have a degree, but I have no idea what to do. I have tried to build networks, but nobody is offering me assistance to find a job. I am bored of trying as all of my efforts have resulted in failures.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AfternoonRose

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: depression getting worse
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:08:36 PM »
Hmm. I can't understand why, despite all the efforts you made, you haven't found a job yet... In fact I find it extremely surprising. Employers always go for young, enthusiastic graduates. There has to be something wrong with your approach. What's in your resume?Have you done many interviews? How is your demeanor?

For instance, I know many, many people with a good degree (computer programming, chemical engineering all respectable fields) who yet have never been able to find a job in their field, and I can positively assert that it's because of their demeanor. I mean, they give off the wrong vibe; they are shy and poised, which I think can be interpreted by employers as indifference and laziness.

Your problem (because you have one if you can't find a job despite all your efforts) is probably completely different, but it's hard to find causes and give any suggestions if you yourself have no idea what you're doing wrong. You say you are "not even interested" in your major... maybe that's the problem? Employers can tell people who are passionate about their field from those who aren't.

In any case, don't give up. The people who think you are doing great because you have a college degree, aren't completely wrong. You have a bright future ahead. All you need to do is change your approach on things, and keep trying. Good luck with it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: