Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?
Anxiety Forums & Chat Rooms

Hello All - GAD.... my man pocket is full !!

Online lfiasche

• Personal text
Hello All - GAD.... my man pocket is full !!
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:39:06 PM »
 So I don't really no where to start...so here it goes.. I am 43 years old , male, married with a 12 , 5 and one in the oven...a little boy due in October. I think I have always had depression and anxiety. As the years have gone by it has gotten worse...finally erupting in the early part of this year. My therapist says my manpocket is full..meaning that I have a lot of emotions buried that I cant keep hidden anymore. He's probably right. My first born son passed away in 2003 at the age of 2 ( congenital heart defect ). That was followed by a divorce.  Enough said there.
 As of right now I am taking 40mg/day of Prozac and just added Buspar to the mix. I also take 15mg of mirtazipine for sleep. I am also doing therapy once a week. I am trying to be as proactive as possible. I also have been walking at lunchtime , about 3 miles.

Here's my first question:

Does anyone find that their anxiety is worse in the morning ? Is there any explanation as to why this is? ???Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

As of late I have been wondering if this is ever going to be over? Then I realized maybe its never going to be over and I just need to find a place for it? Learn to live with it? I feel that I am better off than I was a few months back...but I want to be better than I am now..if that makes any sense. Peace to all the anxious homies out there...I look forward to your comments and suggestions....

Bookmark and Share

Online Rob783

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
Re: Hello All - GAD.... my man pocket is full !!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:50:07 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your son.  We tend to hide stress from those kind of events and its comes out later.  I was in the hospital 8 years ago with a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lungs),  all a sudden 2 years ago I get health anxiety out of nowhere.   To answer your question... yeah I get bad morning anxiety, my only guess its worrying about the BS you'll have to take the rest of the day.  The anxiety may never be gone but with therapy it will be controlled and maintained to where it doesn't ruin your life.
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »
So sorry to hear of the unfortunate circumstances you've had in your life!  The loss of a child is amongst the greatest of losses, and I'm sorry you had to endure that.

It's great to hear that you are being proactive with the anxiety......For many it does tend to be worse in the morning.  I don't know the explanation, but if I were to guess, I'd would think that it's because when we sleep at night, we are still wound up from the day full of anxiety, our muscles are tense, are brains are working overtime, and it's certainly showing that in the morning.

Anxiety is one of those things that can either stick around for a long time, or give you a break and maybe come back and maybe not.  You are doing the best thing by being proactive.  Also, distraction is a great way to keep anxiety at bay.  I don't know how long you've been on the meds, but they should be a help as well.  Keep a journal of how you feel and what makes you feel better and find your 'new normal' and how you deal with things the best.  Even though you have anxiety, you can still find ways to cope with the symptoms and lead a good life.

Let us know how you are doing!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• :]
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:24:18 PM »
So sorry to hear what you've been through. Stay strong.

To answer your question, I have felt more anxious in the mornings, yes.

I spoke with my doctor about it a few years ago and he explained that in the morning, our cortisol is highest. (Cortisol is the stress hormone produced by your body when you're stressed/anxious).

Paradoxically, though, anxiety produces cortisol....which produces anxiety...and then more cortisol.... see where this is going?

My doctor said the most important thing is to truly "accept" the anxiety rather than fighting them. When you truly can learn to do this (it isn't easy - but it can be done)- the morning anxiety should dissipate.

Another thing to note: After sleeping all night, our blood sugar is lower, too, which for some, can make people shaky. The word "Breakfast" literally means "breaking the fast". Eat breakfast. Very important.

*** On a personal note, here, I've noticed something: on the weekends, I don't set the alarm. I just get up when I open my eyes. I don't have the problem, then. Also, I noticed, during the week, with alarm set, if I wake up before it goes off, I notice that I feel pretty good. But, if I wait for that alarm, sometimes, I end up getting up and feeling anxious.

**** I wonder if listening to our own inner alarm clock (as long as it gets us up in time for work) is the way to go here? ( meaning, get up when you feel ready...you can still set that back up alarm in case you decide to fall back to sleep).
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:12:46 PM »
I can tell you that after living with GAD for 6 months, Klonopin has helped me feel like myself again.
Buspar did not do much for me.
Bookmark and Share

Online lfiasche

• Personal text
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 01:18:41 PM »
I actually have both klonopin and xanax . I have been regretful to take them. I really dont know why, maybe a fear of getting hook. I took .5mg xanax last night and I did wake up with little to no anxiety this morning. I also decided to go up on the prozac to 60. I was originally presribed this amount but went back down to 40 after expieriencing a lot of head pain. Originally the klonopin gave me alot of rebound anxiety. That too may be a reason for my resistance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AfternoonRose

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »
Does anyone find that their anxiety is worse in the morning ? Is there any explanation as to why this is?

My anxiety does feel overwhelming in the morning. Oft times, first thing I do as soon as my mind is awake is try to recall what bad thing happened last night, because something bad must always have happened last night... And I will remember something bad (however big or benign it may be) and I will start off the day feeling sad and anxious.

And I feel the same overwhelming anxiety at night before I go to bed too... :(

It's probably different from what you're talking about, but to the question "is there an explanation as to why anxiety can be worse in the morning"... I think it is because we don't feel ready for the day's challenges, we don't know what awaits, or worse, we know exactly what awaits: another day filled with stressful stimuli, another day of feeling tired and alone, another day in life...

I, too, wonder if this is ever going to be over. With proper learning and support, I believe, there has to be a way. After all, there is always a way to feel better and be happier in life.
Bookmark and Share