Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Brain eating amoeba...help me  (Read 574 times)

Offline Jdgate99

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Brain eating amoeba...help me
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:18:14 PM »
So, ever since reading about the brain eating amoeba, I have been scared to death of it and its ruining my life. Last Tuesday, I got a drop of water in my nose and I immediately blew my nose to get it out. The day before I had been diagnosed with fluid on the ears that was causing vertigo ( I was extremely dizzy and nauseous and pressure on head)  and then Wednesday, I hopped a plane to Florida. In Florida, I began to have really bad anxiety attacks to the point because I was worried about this pain in my leg, which I thought was a blood clot (ER visit for SOB visit confirmed not a blood clot. All tests including blood work came back normal. I started feeling nauseous all the time and could not eat at all (Dropped seven pounds in six days). I had pressure on my head, my ears hurt, and my neck was sore. Water touched/might have gotten in my nose again while bathing in Florida, because I was upset and crying while taking a bath and accidentally wiped my nose with wet hands. I am still feeling sick to my stomach, dizzy, my neck is tight and tender again today close to my shoulders, and I still have pressure on my head. At certain points I feel better, but I am still freaking out that I am going to die. The first thought exposure was last Tuesday and the following one have been a couple of days ago (I had another ER visit for the leg yesterday. I had a slight fever 100, but blood work was perfect. Doctor said he had never seen someone with blood work as perfect as mine.)  Am I dying? Would my white blood count be up if I had an amoeba? Is this from my anxiety being so bad that it's making me sick (Haven't slept well in days and was having an attack almost everyday while in Florida)? I feel stupid about this, and my family is beyond annoyed with me, and keeps telling me I need to learn to control this, but it's so hard to control. I was on medicine for my anxiety, but that stopped when I switched doctors due to insurance and the new one is refusing to prescribe the meds (which I went off of cold turkey a couple of months ago). Someone please tell me I'm not dying; I'm desperate here; no one around me at home knows what it is like to suffer from anxiety and just become extremely annoyed with me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ChangingArranging

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Brain eating amoeba...help me
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 10:17:17 PM »
You have to get water all the way up your nose to the olfactory bulb....a couple of drops would never do it.  You would have experienced symptoms by now, and by symptoms, I don't mean nausea and dizziness, I mean collapse and coma.  On top of that, lots of people have antigens for this amoeba, which means lots of people have been exposed, but fewer people come down with the meningitis from it than win the lottery every year.  I had this same worry last year during my big anxiety flareup, and for 7 days I was afraid I would die.  And then I didn't.

In other words, you're fine. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jdgate99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 10:24:34 PM »
Thanks Changing. I have checked my temperature quite a few times today and it has either been normal or low. The low grade fever yesterday was after a severe anxiety attack and I hadn't really slept, ate, or drank anything in days because I felt so anxious all the time (fever disappeared after I calmed down and slept). Before I left for the trip, the doctor told me I had a ton of fluid on my ears to the point that she said it would feel like I drunk and did not recommend flying, but I did it anyway. I am guessing the nausea and the sore neck are a mix between my anxiety and the fluid on my ears. However, I am still having a tough time shaking this fear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jdgate99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:50:03 PM »
Still panicking about this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:32:36 AM »
I'm panicking about this too.had saliva go up my nose today when choking/coughing/swallowing and I feel very hot, tired, and neck feels sore. I also had dusty air blown up my nose today.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jdgate99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:47:25 AM »
You wouldn't be able to get it from saliva unless you just drank water. I've never heard of someone getting it from indoor dust.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 02:27:02 AM »
Both of you are fine, please don't let this silly fear run your lives...

ChangingArranging already said everything that needs to be said, the rest is up to you guys.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »
I want to share with you an extremely important lesson that I learned throughout OBSESSIVE research about the brain eating amoeba. I too was having horrible anxiety and panic attacks believing that I had contracted the amoeba after doing some light research and reading up on it. I have found that googling something for a few minutes will only leave you in a severe panic and not help you at all - if you're going to look something up you need to look it up thoroughly and entirely (medical journals, peer reviewed articles) and get a broad view of the spectrum of the illness. If you don't you will absolutely drive yourself crazy. You need to look at all the facts and tell yourself you are fine. Because I have struggled with this exact same fear I am so sympathetic with how scary it is and how anything to do with your brain being damaged is absolutely horrifying.

Here are some facts about the Amoeba:
  • The Amoeba only lives in freshwater. This means lakes, ponds, and some rivers. (Last time I checked Flordia was on the Atlantic Ocean, so any beach water is safe.
  • The Amoeba actually enters your brain through a small spot near the very top of your nose, thus accidentally wiping your hands with some bath water most likely would not allow any Amoeba to enter into your brain
  • Most towns and cities generally have very good water purification systems that constantly check and monitor the water that is being drained through to peoples main water taps - unless you live somewhere down south where the water systems aren't actually the greatest(and where the Amoeba is most common actually) you generally have nothing to worry about because the water you use to shower and bathe with is 100% fine
  • The Amoeba breeds in warm/fairly hot water - it can not survive in cool temperatures so you have nothing to worry about in that regards either
  • Amoeba symptoms generally present fairly quickly and people tend to have a extremely high fever within a day or two of being exposed to the Amoba. It also takes lives fairly fast generally within 5-10 days, so the mere fact that you are still here and well enough to write this post is enough evidence for me to confidently tell you that you do not have the Amoeba

The mind is a very very powerful thing, this is something I have learned. If you believe anything strong enough then your mind actually convinces your body that you are sick (then you begin to develop all these symptoms like pain and nauseous) which are real symptoms but are truly only being brought on by the extreme anxiety that you are putting your body through. Anxiety is truly one of the most life altering and debilitating diseases because those who suffer from it truly do believe that they are extremely ill. This is something that I try and work on everyday (sometimes making absolutely no progress). It gets better you just have to tell yourself it will and it will. I promise you that you do not have Amoeba and I wish you the absolute best of luck in conquering this horrible anxiety.

Brittany
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 09:26:17 AM »
I'm panicking about this too.had saliva go up my nose today when choking/coughing/swallowing and I feel very hot, tired, and neck feels sore. I also had dusty air blown up my nose today.  :(

Also to shed some insight on your fear, you can absolutely not contract the Amoeba from consuming water. Your stomach acid and digestive system would destroy it almost instantly and there is no way it could survive. Drinking the Amoeba can not allow it to get into your brain. The only worry when contracting it is if it gets high enough up into your nose to make it's way into your brain - this is why most people contract it when swimming (head fully under water) in fresh water lakes and ponds or participating in fresh water activities that allow water to possibly shoot up your nose (like tubing, riding jet skis, water skiing etc).
Hope this helps!

Brittany
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"