Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I'm afraid I have rabies and that it's too late?!?  (Read 404 times)

Offline Frenchy612

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm afraid I have rabies and that it's too late?!?
« on: July 08, 2014, 09:13:49 PM »
I'm terrified I have rabies. I developed this fear probably a week ago when my anxiety came back after throwing up after eating a Jamaican Beef Patty. This fear of rabies is making me distrought! I can't even bare going to summer classes because I AM CONVINCED I HAVE IT. There are a few cases over the past few week in which I think I could've gotten it.

*Two or so weeks ago I was at my friends house and walking up his stairs when his small dog bit my foot. I don't know if it drew blood or not because I didn't check since I wasn't worried at the time. I was only wearing sock. (The dog was always nasty) So I'm afraid I got rabies from my friends dog which I don't know if it's kept on it's rabies shots or not.

*Next, my little dog ran away and ten minutes or so later I found him in my neighbors woody backyard area because he ran after some dear. I had to pick him up and carry him back to my house because I didn't have a leash on me. I'm now scared of him biting the deer or the deer biting him thus giving him rabies, thus my dog giving me rabies from scratching me or something when I didn't know it.

*3 and a half weeks ago now, I was working outsides someones house for a Catering service where I had to serve food. While I was standing by the food, I was slightly under a large tree. I felt a drop on my head. But there were no clouds. Then I felt a drop on my arm (I think, I don't quite remember). I felt a few drops after that. It wasn't sticky drops so I don't think it could've been tree sap. Which is why I think it could have been a rabid bats saliva and the saliva could have gotten on a cut in my head or arm or shoulder or something! I AM MOST TERRIFIED OF THIS POINT.

*Also on that same day of the Catering, my friend and I were walking to the backyard of the persons house and then I think it was a bat that flew straight past my friend who was in front of me. I'm scared I could've gotten bit somehow that day or from that experience and I don't even know it!

*And finally, when I was going to my car to get something from it (it was dark) I got my items, then when I pressed on the car door to close it, I felt a quick, half-second, prick on my middle finger. When I went inside to look at my finger I see a small small half a size of a pin prick on my finger. It was a red dot, but it didn't cut my skin, it was in my skin or something. So obviously now I'm terrified it was a bat!

I saw my doctor last week, but it was about me throwing up from eating that meat. He said I have GERD or something I think. So now I have burning in my throat and stomach and it's weird for me to swallow. Also I get on and off sore throats which terrify me because I'm pretty sure it's a symptom of rabies. I also have back pain on the left side up to my shoulder blade. I've also been getting headaches at my left side of my head by my temple at night (but I don't know if that is because of a toothache or not). I'm afraid I'm already too late to get the vaccine or something! Please help me!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm afraid I have rabies and that it's too late?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:13:01 PM »
rabies is one of the poplular fears among hypo/health anxiety folks.  most often the peeps have some pretty unusual ideas how they have contracted the disease.  I am not trying to be rude, but your story is the same as all of the other rabies posts I have read. 

bottom line you don't have rabies.  yes I am sure.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Frenchy612

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:17:53 PM »
Hi, first off I would like to say thank you for the response. The one thing I'm just Terrified about is the few drops that for on me from the tree. I have no idea what they could've been from except from a bat
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:32:17 PM »
and see a person who didn't see rabies lurking around the corner  :winking0008:  would never even consider drops falling from a tree being from a bat.  they wouldn't give them much thought at all.

you don't have rabies.  and i will go out on a limb and say you will never have rabies. 

again rabies is one off those popular but, let's face it pretty unrealistic, less than rational fears that hypos/health anxiety folks latch onto.

yes i know it seems very real to you, but I am telling you that, while rabies is a serious disease, in today''s day and age, it is rarely seen in humans.  so you can fret about it, but it, TRULY, is a waste of a fret.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 02:55:40 AM »
Any time you're bitten by something venomous/diseased/whatever the bite usually becomes badly infected/swollen/necrotic.

One guy mentioned rabies on this forum and suddenly every one has rabies.

You don't have rabies. Contracting rabies is about as impossible as it comes. Right next to brain-eating amoeba.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline rogueknits

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 07:03:18 PM »
Like others have said, it would be very very very unlikely for you to contract rabies.

1. Your friend's dog has most likely been vaccinated against rabies. Most dogs have, since it's required by law in the U.S. If the bite had broken the skin, you would have known because dog bites tend to get infected if not immediately washed/disinfected.
2. It would be highly unlikely for your dog to get rabies from deer. First, he'd have to catch the deer (my dog has tried and never even gotten close to one). Then, the deer would have to be infected, and they are not common carriers of rabies. You should, of course, make sure your dog has had his rabies vaccine and you won't ever have to worry about him getting rabies.
3. Rabid bats don't hang out in trees dripping saliva on people. Rabid bats crawl around on the ground in broad daylight. I would be willing to bet that no one has ever gotten rabies from having bat saliva drip on them. People that get rabies from bats have been bitten by a bat.
4. Difficulty swallowing is a common manifestation of anxiety. I get it, I imagine lots of people on this forum get it. It's scary and can make you think the worse, but most of the time it's just your mind focusing too much on a body function that most people don't think about. If you've been diagnosed with GERD, that's going to make your throat sore and will probably make you focus on swallowing even more.

Honestly, the number of people who contract rabies in the U.S. is very, very small. If it was common, we would be vaccinated for rabies just like dogs and cats are. Have I ever wondered if I had rabies? Yes, recently in fact. But I was able to dismiss it because the possibility is so, so remote.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Frenchy612

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:38:08 PM »
Any time you're bitten by something venomous/diseased/whatever the bite usually becomes badly infected/swollen/necrotic.

One guy mentioned rabies on this forum and suddenly every one has rabies.

You don't have rabies. Contracting rabies is about as impossible as it comes. Right next to brain-eating amoeba.

I don't feel swollen or infected anywhere. And I don't know what necrotic means, though I'll look it up. I'm just worried that my wound didn't have to swell or I just don't feel it or something
Bookmark and Share

Offline Frenchy612

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 08:40:29 PM »
Like others have said, it would be very very very unlikely for you to contract rabies.

1. Your friend's dog has most likely been vaccinated against rabies. Most dogs have, since it's required by law in the U.S. If the bite had broken the skin, you would have known because dog bites tend to get infected if not immediately washed/disinfected.
2. It would be highly unlikely for your dog to get rabies from deer. First, he'd have to catch the deer (my dog has tried and never even gotten close to one). Then, the deer would have to be infected, and they are not common carriers of rabies. You should, of course, make sure your dog has had his rabies vaccine and you won't ever have to worry about him getting rabies.
3. Rabid bats don't hang out in trees dripping saliva on people. Rabid bats crawl around on the ground in broad daylight. I would be willing to bet that no one has ever gotten rabies from having bat saliva drip on them. People that get rabies from bats have been bitten by a bat.
4. Difficulty swallowing is a common manifestation of anxiety. I get it, I imagine lots of people on this forum get it. It's scary and can make you think the worse, but most of the time it's just your mind focusing too much on a body function that most people don't think about. If you've been diagnosed with GERD, that's going to make your throat sore and will probably make you focus on swallowing even more.

Honestly, the number of people who contract rabies in the U.S. is very, very small. If it was common, we would be vaccinated for rabies just like dogs and cats are. Have I ever wondered if I had rabies? Yes, recently in fact. But I was able to dismiss it because the possibility is so, so remote.

Thank you for the great response. It's justt I'm able to take my mind off it at times but my symptoms (sore throat and occasional headaches) scare me a lot, thinking I have rabies!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 09:07:08 PM »
do you know HOW many people have sore throats and occasional headaches? that is incredibly vague.  So vague to the point that I cannot imagine how that can be construed as rabies being the go to diagnosis.   there are many things more likely  to cause sore throat and headache in people (and do every day) than rabies.

btw--I was reading an article online in our area about a dog attacking another dog in a park.  The vet, who treated the dog that was attacked,, said there hasn't been a case of rabies in dogs in 60yrs.

while I know this fear is real to you and  you  see your rabies scenarios as pretty plausible,  the truth is you don't have rabies.  Not only that I am going out on a limb sooooo sturdy here and say you will never come even come close to contracting it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: rabies anxiety