Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ALS Fears Have Hit Me Again  (Read 425 times)

Offline NickT76

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ALS Fears Have Hit Me Again
« on: July 08, 2014, 02:20:21 PM »
Hello Everyone.  My name is Nick and I'm going to be 38 this month.  Don't ask me how this happened but I'm fearing that I might have ALS... again.  I was seeing a neurologist up until last year.  Initially it was for lightheadedness, panic attacks, and tingling in my legs.  After all tests including 2 EMGs (one in upper, one in lower) what was found was Anxiety for sure and a slight case of Peripheral Neuropathy.    My last EMG was in April of 2013 and it was in my arms/hands.  It came back clean and I was experiencing some weakness in my arms at the time.   the neuro I was seeing did mention to me that Anxiety can play hell on your body.  The plan was for me to go speak to a therapist but that's an expensive proposition. I did manage to get better on my own and put those fears to rest..  until now.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago.  My lightheadedness returned with a vengeance.  I made an apt with a new Neurologist because I didn't want to hear go speak to a therapist.  Neuro is going to send me for a new MRI, balance test and Doppler of my carotid arteries.

Right around the same time I started getting very tired and weak in my left arm and hand.  What I mean is the littlest tasks were making it feel tired.  I mentioned it to the new Neurologist and she said it's only been a few days, let's just focus on your lightheadedness for now.  I mentioned I had an EMG on my arms and hands last year.. do I need to repeat the test.. does it change in a year?

Well it's been almost a week since I saw the neuro and I'm at the point where every morning my hand and left arm feels so tired.  It seems that little things like making coffee, pouring milk, writing and shaving make it feel like I've fought 15 rounds of boxing or I've been working out for 2 hours. 

I'm completely freaking out at this point.  I keep going to Dr Google and ALS forums to see if I might be experiencing symptoms of this terrible disease.  It almost seems as though I'm getting weaker day by day and my own research is confirming it. 

Now I did have some painting in my house done last week.  In preparation I helped my wife pack and carry boxes up and down stairs, hang some shelves, etc.  There is no way though that my muscles can still feel tired almost a week later can it?  It didn't bother me at the time we were doing it.

I don't know I feel doomed right now. 

Any suggestions would be very helpful to me.

Thanks

Bookmark and Share

Offline mikewise77

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS Fears Have Hit Me Again
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 02:42:33 PM »
Nick you asked if muscles can still feel tired after a week? We're about the same age I'm 36. A year and a half ago I managed to hurt my shoulder. Tendonitis in the bicep. I got it probably from drumming cause I play the drums at church. Months after that injury I still had referral pain up in my neck and face, at one point I was afraid I was having a stroke or that I had MS. Nope, just a structural issue. Perhaps there is something going on besides anxiety but instead of going to worst case scenarios maybe look at the bones and muscles and see if something is up. PT, chiro or a really good massage can help with these area's, the did for me.
Mike
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »
If your going to dr google then you know that you dont have ALS. I have had this fear as well. And if you have been to the forums they always say you wouldnt feel weak. you would BE weak. you wouldnt be able to do the things you think are hard. You can get another emg but will it satisfy you? Anxiety causes a lot of perceived weakness. TRUST ME i have had tons of that!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Roman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:19:08 PM »
Millay is right it's perceived weakness not clinical weakness you could still get out of the way of a bus right. Als is a desease of weakness for the most part it's not sensory it's not what you feel but it's what you can't do anymore. I suffer from the same fear and it's terrible I know but never google trust your drs I did it the hard way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Roman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
Sorry jillay is right
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »
Read ShawnW's, Pan's, and my own posts on this. I'm right there with you, man. You'll get through this. It might take you months, but it's temporary.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline NickT76

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »
Thanks for all of your replies everyone I really appreciate it.  I guess when your body is telling you something isn't quite right it definitely seems like the worst.  For me my mind is completely convinced of something and it's making things worse.

I don't remember my arm feeling so damn tired with doing close to nothing strenuous.  I have it in my head that it's only going to be a matter of time when I wake up and won't be able to hold the toothbrush or shave.   I was actually sitting here signing my name over and over again to see how long it took for my hand to tire out. 

This is really the pits!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »
Yeah nothing you said concerns me.  Fatiguability is a major issue with anxiety.  I went through a period where I couldn't shampoo my hair without extremely fatigue of the right arm.  Everything you said is consistent with anxiety.  Go get it checked out but don't lose sleep over it.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline mikewise77

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 11:46:01 AM »
Oh yeah I get the fear I totally do. I've been known to do some singing from time to time, at karaoke shows and I've also been in a band. When I sing if I am having a bad day with my anxiety and tension it hurts to hold the mic up to my mouth because of the tension I carry in my shoulder. Somehow I keep pressing on though :)
Mike
Bookmark and Share

Offline NickT76

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 12:00:45 PM »
I really appreciate everyone's comments.  I wish I could say I felt better though.  It's probably going to take a neurologist to tell me I don't have this... for the 2nd time in 2 years.  I honestly feel like something is terribly wrong today.

You are all probably sick of hearing about this but today my left hand was really cramping badly and my left arm truly feels extremely tired.  It's almost a tickling / tingly feeling.  Last night when I went to bed I had the worst Charlie Horses.

Could this be my Anxiety for my end?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 12:57:34 PM »
I really appreciate everyone's comments.  I wish I could say I felt better though.  It's probably going to take a neurologist to tell me I don't have this... for the 2nd time in 2 years.  I honestly feel like something is terribly wrong today.

You are all probably sick of hearing about this but today my left hand was really cramping badly and my left arm truly feels extremely tired.  It's almost a tickling / tingly feeling.  Last night when I went to bed I had the worst Charlie Horses.

Could this be my Anxiety for my end?

Yes.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline specialized

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 11:36:59 AM »
Hey man, thank you for your post. I am going through the same thing currently. Health anxiety and hypochondria are nothing new to me, been bouncing around from one life threatening illness to the next for years.

After reading an article about the disease, I now have the same symptom(?) issue as you're describing. Strange feeling in left arm and hand. Feels like it's hard to flex fingers, is kind of shaky/trembling, and just feels "odd". To be honest, I'm probably not going to even bother seeing a Dr, as I simply can't afford the time and money spent bouncing around for consultations and tests in my life right now. Been there done that.

If we can put this into perspective, we know that  someone who was really suffering from this disorder most likely would experience a complete failure to accomplish the tasks you mentioned. An inability to lift a cup, or put it their garage door code. It seems to me, in my limited research, that these kinds of disorders show their face and you wouldn't be on the fence about whether it was a perceived issue or something real.

It's no different than when I was sure I had HIV, because I developed some rashes after a questionable sexual encounter, or was convinced I had throat cancer because of a swollen lympnode in my neck. I don't think I need to tell you that the outcome was benign in both cases.

Keep your head up my friend!
Bookmark and Share

Offline NickT76

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 03:25:58 PM »
Thank you for all of your posts.  You might read this now and roll your eyes at me but I swear that for the past 2 days now the cramping in my hands have gotten worse.  Now when I wake up in the morning I find that my fingers are really stiff and I have to open and close them to try and relieve the feeling.

What did I do?  Yes you guessed it.  I went right back to the damn ALS Forums and all of those nice medical web sites and they all say the same thing. 

Stiffness and achy hands/fingers were many 1st early symptoms before they were officially diagnosed. 

Now to make things even more fun... why oh why did I start looking at my hands.  I swear I have these indentations on my palms in between my index finger and thumb.  When I curl my thumb into my index finger the crease gets really deep looking.  Is this my hands wasting away before my eyes?  Maybe that's why they are starting to cramp?

What has happened to me.  I think I'm completely obsessed now and convinced I got this thing.  Next neuro appointment is in 2 weeks. 

any suggestions?  Maybe even some to help me relax my mind a bit.

Thanks guys

Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 03:45:58 PM »
I realize you are suffering...and hate to see that.  But, please don't bring information from *** sites here.  It's called information hygiene.  Stick to proper medical texts if you must study.  Achy and pain have nothing to do with ***.  And there is no reason to bring that information to a bunch of hypochondriacs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NickT76

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 03:52:53 PM »
Aw man sorry about that Shawn.  I keep forgetting that I'm not the only Hypo in the room.  I guess my intent was to try and get some more insight to see if others did what I did, feel what I feel and turned out to be okay.

Didn't mean to bring on additional anxiousness to my fellow worried wells.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: