Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: New terrifying symptoms - help please  (Read 317 times)

Offline TopBananas

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New terrifying symptoms - help please
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:46:39 AM »
Hey guys,

So I've started feeling incredibly weird, like I'm not human and I'm constantly questioning my feelings, thoughts and even speech. I have these brief, 2-3 second sudden onsets of what I can only describe as insanity, I feel like it's the worst thing in the world and it's definitely serious. I'm having a hard time acting my way through this - I thought it may be depersonalisation but it's so severe and I don't really feel disconnected from myself, just altered mentally. I get anxiety with it but it's not really at a major peak, I'm not on any medication although I've just been prescribed some citolapram from my doctor who says it's just anxiety - I really don't think it is though, I've never felt like this before. Am I going mad? I was convinced I was before and it seems to have got worse and worse, sometimes I'll panic from just thinking 'this is it, reality' as of there's another reality or something. I just can't explain it and I'm so scared :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Shard

• Frozen soul
    • Poke This Member
Re: New terrifying symptoms - help please
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 12:15:20 PM »
I think, this is depersonalisation, because it's not only feeling disconnected from yourself, but also disconnected from the world around you. My depersonalisation feels like looking through a glass, for example. It's like looking into aquarium, because you can see, what's behind the glass, but you're not there. It feels like being a ghost sometimes. 

First of all you need to calm down, because when you're scared or angry, everything seems to be much more intense, than it really is. You're definitely not losing your mind or anything, it's just an intense fear. Anxiety could be subconscious, so sometimes you may feel bad for no reason.
Bookmark and Share
I was quite a creative guy. I was drawing all the time and writing poems and songs... But something was wrong. I was worrying a lot about everything. And one day, it turned me into state of emptyness and hopelessness. I hope, I'll get my life back, at some point in the future...

Offline TopBananas

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:18:27 PM »
I just don't feel anything like myself or like I can relate to others, it almost feels dirty if that makes sense? I'm so scared and just haven't felt like this before. Terrified :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Shard

• Frozen soul
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
That's a nice example of depersonalisation in my opinion. When you feel, like it's not you. Feel like something has changed. And also, is you suffer with GAD, than it's even worse, because you're kinda overreacting to every single change. Even the smallest detail could trigger your fear. For example mine was lightheadiness. After my first anxiety attack, I was feeling very dizzy and I started to be extremely afraid of dizziness. I was always thinking about, what if it will come back? And I was overreacting to every little sign of dizziness and I ended up with permanent lightheadiness. It was there for 24/7 and I was going crazy. But then I realised, that it's just my fear. At the start I wasn't able to get out of bed. And now I feel much better. I can't go to the shops and places, where are many people, because I'm afraid of being too dizzy and falling over in front of all those people. But I'm making a progress and every time I visit a shop now, I feel more and more steady.

Your problem is in my opinion just an intense fear, that makes everything looks dangerous. If you're visiting any therapist or psychologist, tell him about your problem and he'll give you the best possible advice and help.
Bookmark and Share
I was quite a creative guy. I was drawing all the time and writing poems and songs... But something was wrong. I was worrying a lot about everything. And one day, it turned me into state of emptyness and hopelessness. I hope, I'll get my life back, at some point in the future...

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:00:32 PM »
Hi Top, :action-smiley-065:

Let me know if you find this helpful, I know you are in a SCARY Situation - Good News - Nothing New - Many people have experienced this problem and the best news - there are SOLUTIONS  :grinning-smiley-003:

Now, from your past post you were prescribed Celexa by your doctor is this correct?  Also, did he prescribe any other medications?

As far, as "Feeling Dirty" - this guilt and shame of intrusive thoughts for me - really bothered me, but there are some excellent books on helping you understand what is going on with you, let me know if you are interested. :action-smiley-065:

Along with some good insights into what is happening - along with your Dr. help on medication you will soon have this under control  :grinning-smiley-003:

Anxiety Disorders takes many forms, since, I am lucky enough to have them all  ::)  - just your descriptions sounds TOO FAMILIAR to me  :yes:

I posted this in the past - which I went through and yes I have personally experienced this "Nightmare" for a couple of years, before I got the correct medication to fix the chemical imbalance in my brain.   :spineyes:

=============================================================================================
Yes! ::)  - I call this the "Twilight- Zone State" B-; -  I had these before we had common medical terms we now call  "Depersonalization" and "Derealization"

I was originally diagnosed with Panic Disorder and OCD and GAD - Once I started the medication - 6-8 weeks later this "Twilight- Zone State" B-; - disappeared along with my Panic Disorder, and later after 6 months or so, at higher dosage my OCD finally disappeared.  In my experience, all these disorders appear to have a common root - a chemical imbalance in the brain - that for me was quickly corrected by using an SSRI medication - compared to years of unproductive CBT therapy.

Here is what the Mayo Clinic states:

Symptoms of depersonalization include:
•   Feelings that you're an outside observer of your thoughts, feelings, or parts of your body,  as if you were floating in air above yourself
•   Feeling like a robot or that you're not in control of your speech or movements
•   The sense that your body, legs or arms appear distorted, enlarged or shrunken, or that your head is wrapped in cotton
•   Emotional or physical numbness of your senses or responses to the world around you
•   A sense that your memories lack emotion, and that they may or may not be your own memories

Symptoms of derealization include:

•   Feelings of being alienated from or unfamiliar with your surroundings, perhaps like you're living in a movie
•   Feeling emotionally disconnected from people you care about, as if you were separated by a glass wall
•   Surroundings that appear distorted, blurry, colorless, two-dimensional or artificial, a heightened awareness of your surroundings
•   Distortions in perception of time, such as recent events feeling like distant past
•   Distortions of distance and the size and shape of objects

The exact cause of depersonalization-derealization disorder isn't well-understood. However, it appears to be linked to an imbalance of certain brain chemicals called neurotransmitters, which can make a brain vulnerable so that heightened states of stress and fear may lead to the disorder.

While there are no medications specifically approved to treat depersonalization-derealization disorder, certain medications that are used to treat depression and anxiety may help. Examples that have been shown to relieve symptoms include fluoxetine (Prozac), clomipramine (Anafranil) and clonazepam (Klonopin).

Hope this information is helpful  :action-smiley-065:

If you feel this getting out of hand, by all means see your doctor or better yet a psychiatrist - the can become your greatest allies  :yes:

Hi Top  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline TopBananas

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 01:15:03 PM »
Hey - no I'm not on any other medication and I haven't started the anti depressants yet, but I just get sudden feelings unlike anything I've ever felt before, it's horrific and I feel like I lose it each time. I'm surely convinced his is something far worse, I know that's common but I xl have never heard of these sudden, brief horrific confusion moments? I feel like humans are just nothing to me? Im struggling to cope and the fact that I can't explain my feelings in any accurate manner at all is what gets to me the most, what I have described is just not what I'm feeling!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nala1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
Its anxiety and depression. Im going thru the same thing right now. It is the scariest feeling ever. Ive been through this once before as well. Cymbalta helped me greatly now im starting zoloft.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TopBananas

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
Nala how would you describe it? You have the same short attacks of very strange feeling?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nala1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »
I feel strange all day my head feels so weird all day my body doesnt feel right im out of it i cant think straight.i never have a good day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 01:53:22 PM »
Have you seen a doctor yet?  :(

Your anxiety, like when mine hit, was EXTREME - it was as "someone took over my body and mind" - For me I could not logically put a finger on what was wrong - BECAUSE IT WAS BIOLOGICAL (chemicals my brain were "out of sync").  Back when I had these problems, I seriously considered "Demonic Possession" or "Alien Force had hijacked my mind and body"  - I can't think of anthing more extreme than that  B-;

Thankfully, these were all irrational fears once I realized where my problem was and worked with my doctor. :grinning-smiley-003:

This is why, when I spend about 6 months, trying to figure it out, - I could not Understand any of this, nothing made sense... I should be able to "snap myself out of it" - right?  Wrong  B-; :sick0002:  - 

In the past, I could "Reset My Compass" of my mind, and get back to work or school, not this time...  It wasn't clear - until I read several books on this subject and had seen several doctors.

By the way, In my case, Antidepressants are helpful - But, I needed something that would quickly SETTLE and RESET my mind - which is where a small safe dosages of Benzodiazepines would stabilize my "Anxiety" until the Antidepressant would kick in about 4-6 weeks!

In my case, I had a very tough and miserable time trying to solve a BIOLOGICAL problem with positive thinking, CBT - I need something that would "re-sync" my brain chemicals.

If there is one thing - I wish I would have had at the time of my suffering - would be the amazing book - I wanted to understand, before I was given medication, I needed answers - I believe this book will be a real help for you - you can get used copy for a couple of bucks :happy0151:
You might even find in PDF format on the web.

Here is a quick overview of this awesome book (and I have ready MANY OF THEM)
The Anxiety Disease -Dr. David V. Sheenan

Sheehan's book breaks the taboo that 'its all in your mind', but rather demonstrates how the "anxiety disease" has a biological base and thus can be treated completely managed by proper medication.

From the Publisher Anxiety is not always psychological but rather a disease that can now be controlled. The symptoms are devastating: sudden unprovoked attacks of anxiety-accompanied by skipping and racing of the heart, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, dizzy spells. Even worse is the fear that you are losing your mind. But here's the good news. The more unexpected and unprovoked the attacks or the symptoms, the more likely that the victim is suffering from a biologically beset disease. What's more, medical science can now overcome this disease in virtually all cases through a combination of drugs and behavior therapy. Dr. David V. Sheenan, formerly of the Havard Medical School, is now the Director of Research of the College of Medicine at the University of South Florida in Tampa. He draws upon recent research and his own pioneering breakthroughs in the treatment of anxiety to present in this book: -Quizzes that will help you determine whether your anxiety is caused by normal stress or is the result of a genetically influenced physical disorder. Seven progressive stages of the disease-and the four steps necessary for recovery. Detailed case histories of former anxiety victims who are now leading full and productive lives. Reassurance and guidance to family members and friends who want to help, but don't know how. This book offers new hope to millions of men and women across the country.

From the Inside Flap Anxiety is not always psychological but rather a disease that can now be controlled. The symptoms are devastating: sudden unprovoked attacks of anxiety-accompanied by skipping and racing of the heart, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, dizzy spells. Even worse is the fear that you are losing your mind. But here's the good news. The more unexpected and unprovoked the attacks or the symptoms, the more likely that the victim is suffering from a biologically beset disease. What's more, medical science can now overcome this disease in virtually all cases through a combination of drugs and behavior therapy. Dr. David V. Sheenan, formerly of the Havard Medical School, is now the Director of Research of the College of Medicine at the University of South Florida in Tampa. He draws upon recent research and his own pioneering breakthroughs in the treatment of anxiety to present in this book: -Quizzes that will help you determine whether your anxiety is caused by normal stress or is the result of a genetically influenced physical disorder. Seven progressive stages of the disease-and the four steps necessary for recovery. Detailed case histories of former anxiety victims who are now leading full and productive lives. Reassurance and guidance to family members and friends who want to help, but don't know how. This book offers new hope to millions of men and women across the country.

Also there are some great links here with a Self-Quiz to assist you (you may want to focus on OCD - Self-test):

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHpanic.pdf - Self Test for Panic Disorder.
http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHgad.pdf  - GAD – Self Test
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,26.0.html – Social Anxiety overview

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHocd.pdf - OCD - Self-test

I hope you feel better, and you will take this opportunity to help yourself with acquiring knowledge  :action-smiley-065:

That's why you will eventually need to see a professional who can help you with the "Terrible Nightmare" that you are currently experiencing.

Keep up the forward momentum - you will soon find your answer  :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline LO87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »
This is just my 2 cents but it sounds like you're just perpetuating a feeling you could have had once and then feared so it happens again and again. You can think about it subconsciously and then bam! You suddenly think of that horrible feeling and it comes back again. It's not really a panic attack or depersonalisation in my opinion, but it sounds like it really depends on your fear of it. You're not going mad, I promise. Anxiety never causes insanity, it just feels that way sometimes :) that's all it is though, just a fear and a thought. Next time it comes on, turn your reaction around. Welcome it, ask for more. You'd be surprised how well this works for people. I know it might seem scary at first, but fighting it isn't working, so you've got nothing to lose. I really think it's something you are perpetuating because you're afraid--when you take the fear away I'm sure these feelings will go too :) the meds will help too, especially bwith physical symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TopBananas

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »
I wish I could believe that but the 'feeling' isn't simply that, it's like my whole consciousness is taken over and it's only started happening these last couple of days. I just can't explain how I feel normally either, it's horrific
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nala1991

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 04:23:36 PM »
U probably have depression as well i know how u feel trust me like your brain is gonna stop working and u r braindead. Just so out of it thats how i feel alot of the time. I was convinced I had a brain tumor bc of this and my dr did a test on me and was like you dont have a tumor,its extreme depression anxiety and panic. Its a horrible feeling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TopBananas

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 05:35:21 PM »
I just haven't ever heard of this sudden surge of complete lack of control and lucidity?
Bookmark and Share

Offline 59Ballons

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 11:01:15 PM »
Oh my God... That 2-3 second weird feeling you've described, I GET ALL THE TIME. It's like this sudden self realization... I feel too conscious, like I'm conscious of my own consciousness. And in theory this should be a good feeling... But instead I feel this unimaginable feeling of dread and unwantedness. I feel too exposed, like I've been asleep all my life and I've just woken up. I know how you feel and you aren't alone.

It's such a lonely feeling, because you feel so detached from humanity. You can't talk to anyone about it because they can't even begin to imagine that feeling. It makes me want to cry because I feel unhuman and that is no feeling that anyone should ever have to feel.

What has helped me is simply ignoring those feelings and not dwelling on them. I can't stop them from happening, but I can stop worrying and that makes it better.
Bookmark and Share
Distraction is life's best remedy.

Tags: