Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: fatal insomnia? or just me being anxious  (Read 283 times)

Offline glc518

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
fatal insomnia? or just me being anxious
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:21:29 AM »
Hi everybody!  I'm glad i found this site.  I've lurked for a while but decided to post.

I have not slept more than 2 hours in 5 days.  i am obsessing that I have sporadic fatal insomnia.  I'm incredibly weak right now as I'm typing this...my eyes are bloodshot and puffy.  I just am desperate for sleep or rest.

Someone at work told me about Magnesium, so I went ahead and ordered a big bottle from Amazon.  I'm really hoping it works.  I have really bad insomnia at random times.  Here are my symptoms:

-can't fall asleep, can't stay asleep
-racing heart
-palpitations w/ the racing heart
-sweating
-racing mind, wont shut up
-needing to google things to see what else is wrong with me
-chest pain
-muscle twitching in legs and arms

i really hope i dont have fatal insomnia.  Everyone i talk to tells me i'm being silly but i knew on here i'd get some more reasonable answers. 

Thanks for your help.
Bookmark and Share

Online HNDFL

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Never Give Up Never Back Down
    • Poke This Member
Re: fatal insomnia? or just me being anxious
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 12:39:08 PM »
Im sorry you haven't been able to sleep well.

I take melatonin every night which is a natural supplement that our body makes to help us sleep which u might wanna try.

I have also watched meditation videos on YouTube they have helped a bunch
Bookmark and Share
"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up"-Proverbs 12:25

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."-John 14:27

Offline Lars Thorwald

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »
The melatonin has helped me also. Sometimes I'll take a Benadryl and that helps, too. Good luck.
Bookmark and Share
"For days after death, hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off." --Johnny Carson

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:05:59 PM »
oh fatal insomnia is one of those illnesses that are the things of nightmares  :yes:  :winking0008: for the health anxiety group.  why?  because, oh my gosh, what is the ONE thing that is hard to do when one gets worried or when one has things on his/her mind?  Yep, having trouble sleeping.  Now add the idea of fatal insomnia and it pretty much cements that bugger of a disease into one's anxious mind.  which will make it damned near impossible to go to sleep....even with the aid of sleeping pills. 

I will say that I am sure this is not fatal insomnia.  What is going on here is a person who is having trouble sleeping for any number of NONLETHAL reasons  (it happens to the best of us at times),  then BEASTY (anxious mind) comes up with fatal insomnia.  It is a the makins' of a nasty anxiety brew.

what to do?  one ding danged thing for sure is to not google or 'research' anything about it.  it will make going to sleep more difficult.  secondly, you are going to have to try some relaxing things prior to going to sleep.  some people find hot baths, chamomile teas, meditating helpful.  Me, reading is good.  I, personally, find leaving the tv on while I rest my eyes.  the background noise is helpful for me.  You can try benadryl or melatonin or other over counter sleep aids.    My nephew went through (for a couple of years) a bout of insomnia.  His parents sent him for sleep studies etc.  Not much worked.  However I think much of it was his own fault.  I say this because he got himself into the habit of staying up waaaay too late.  when he couldn't fall off, he'd end up playing poker with friends or engaging in fairly stimulating other activities.  then he would drop off around 5 am and sleep until noon.   What got him out of it, really (although his dad has a differing opinion than me  :winking0008:) is he joined the army.  The boy had to be up by 5 or 6 no matter what.  that got him straightened out.

so that is another suggestion---make sure you are out of bed early--7am at the latest.  Keep yourself busy during the day--no naps.  In the evening begin more relaxing activities.  try and stay up until 9 or 10.  make sure you keep to a schedule and over time it should help.

I am not saying this will be easy because I KNOW worrying about not sleeping makes it tougher.  However,  ABSOLUTELY take the fatal insomnia possibility off of the table.  It isn't that.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline glc518

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »
Thanks sixpack  :winking0008:
I really  needed to read a post like this.  I tried melatonin but it didn't seem to work for me, probably because the anxiety was so overpowering it didn't let me relax.  Heart would pound and race. 

I get up at 6:45 every day for work, so I'm usually in bed by 11pm at the latest.  I avoid caffeine all the time by default, and last night I took a lavender bubble bath at 9:30 which definitely relaxed me.  However, as soon as bedtime hit, and I laid down, BAM! the anxiety about falling asleep starts and the adrenaline surges again. 

I even got out of bed and took some ZzzQuil to try and get some relief.  It made my body tired but didn't help with my mind.  At least I know it's not fatal insomnia right  :angel-smiley-006:

My eyeballs hurt today from lack of sleep lol.

Have you had a lot of sleepless nights? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 03:18:15 PM »
no typically I have no trouble going to sleep.  I mean once in a while I will get "busy brain" and that will keep me up.   I remember one time as a young teen (ooohhh a loooong time ago  :P) I had a really horrendous night falling to sleep.  I remember going into my parents room every few minutes.  they got a wee bit miffed with me.  What I learned from that--even at that age---if I worried about not sleeping, I wouldn't go to sleep.  What I have done for years---if I am not particularly tired or if I have things on my mind that may make it harder to go to sleep---is I come up with mundane things to think about.  while mundane, they make me concentrate....  examples are:  how many windows or doorknobs are in my house, naming the 50 states in alphabetical order, ( a weird one I admit, but I like detective type shows and books SO...) I pretend that detectives comes to my home and ask me to account for my time for the day ((or from say 8-12).  Basically things that make me think but not about falling to sleep.  One thing I also fantasize about is winning the lottery--- I LOVE gardening so I plan, in my head, my dream yard or my dream home.  However sometimes I get really into that.....

Again, what is happening to you isn't fatal insomnia.  That, really, is just a hypo disease fear.   What is going on is basic insomnia, that anybody could have for various reasons, made worse by anxious thinking.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline glc518

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 04:51:58 PM »
Thanks sixpack.  One thing I keep worrying about is that FFI or Sporadic Fatal Insomnia says "increased inability to sleep" and my sleep patterns have been getting progressively worse.  Went from sleeping 7 hours, to 5, to 3.  To then waking every hour.  Now it's like I have lost the ability to even drift off.

Should I still be worried  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Online HNDFL

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Never Give Up Never Back Down
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »
Not to be rude but I think you are psyching yourself out. When you read that it gets progressively worse you probably started being hypersensitive to your sleep patterns. Just try to not worry about it, find some relaxing music and lay down and try to fall asleep. You may surprise yourself. Also if you want to try some meditation to help you fall asleep check it out on you tube they have really done wonders for me
Bookmark and Share
"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up"-Proverbs 12:25

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."-John 14:27

Offline mikewise77

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 05:44:34 PM »
Fatal insomnia isn't one I have ever heard of. I've dealt with insomnia from time to time and man it sucks. No matter how tired you feel in the morning you can't seem to get any sleep at night but everything I have ever seen seems to say that insomnia cannot kill you. It can sure make you wonky but it can't kill you. Here's hoping you get some rest soon.
Mike
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 95
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 07:14:16 PM »
I agree that you're psyching yourself out. This happens all the time. Like if you have to get up early to go to the airport, for instance, you say to yourself, oh no, I only have three hours to sleep, I'm going to be so tired! But getting anxious over the fact that you're only going to get three hours of sleep is a GREAT way to guarantee that you get three hours of sleep AT MOST.

What you're doing is the exact same thing. Sleeping is one of those things—like breathing or your heart beat—that the more you think of it, the wonkier it becomes.

Telling you not to worry about SFI is a fool's errand—you're going to worry whether we tell you not to or not—but the chances of you having it are next to nothing. Stop reading about it. Online health info provides a VERY one-dimensional picture of disease. It provides symptoms but no context, and very little information about prevalence. MANY MANY MANY more people suffer from anxiety-related sleep problems than SFI. The odds are in your favor.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:17 PM »
Thanks sixpack.  One thing I keep worrying about is that FFI or Sporadic Fatal Insomnia says "increased inability to sleep" and my sleep patterns have been getting progressively worse.  Went from sleeping 7 hours, to 5, to 3.  To then waking every hour.  Now it's like I have lost the ability to even drift off.

Should I still be worried  :fragend005:

as vardnas said,  "telling you not to worry is a fool's errand."

I've already explained what is going on... you've developed insomnia for whatever reason now you've attached the idea of fatal insomnia.  that is what hypos do.....  hop, skip and jump over the REAL problem to some catastrophic rare thing.   Don't look anything up either by googling.  hypos are not in the frame of mind to see any information clearly or rationally..

so do you have sporadic fatal insomnia?    As I said in the other two posts---No you don't.  you have insomnia brought on or made worse by your anxious over thinking.  The more you worrying about falling to sleep the more likely that you won't.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline glc518

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 01:54:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help.  I can't help worrying it's so bad for me.  I called out of work yesterday (the 9th) due to the horrific night of sleep I got before.  At that point it had been 5 days since any rest at all.  My boss told me to take it easy and as soon as she said those words, a wave of relief washed over me and at 6am (when I called out) it's like my brain switched off and finally let me sleep.  I had broken sleep all the way up till about 11:30am.

I got up, ate some breakfast, showered, and was going to head to the doctor, then I decided to watch tv to wait out the thunderstorm.  At 1:15 i ended up zonking out on the couch until 3:30. hehe.

Went to the doctor later, she prescribed some more Ativan to help calm my nerves.  Only to be used at bedtime and .5mg should do it.  She said to take two tonight so that my body gets fully rested..

I took it at 10:15, and was knocked out by 11:15 (i had to take two but spaced them apart).  I slept all night until my alarm went off.  It's crazy how fast the pills worked.  I don't even remember closing my eyes.

She said to take the Ativan at night for 5 days and then hopefully my body will be regulated to sleep again. 

Sorry for the long update, it is just nice to get it all written out.  I feel better after one night of sleep (about 7-8 hours worth). 

:yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »
I am glad you got some sleep   ;D
Bookmark and Share

Tags: