Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of test  (Read 94 times)

Offline SRD0288

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of test
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:07:13 AM »
So due to headaches (almost daily) along with pressure my Dr ordered an X-Ray. I am TERRIFIED. I have had many tests done but nothing of my head, which for me and I'm sure most of you is a big trigger with my HA.
I am almost sick to my stomach thinking about the results. I know I need to get it done and not avoid it for my own sanity, but I am just so so so nervous.

Has anyone felt this way? And how did you calm yourself down? Luckily he only ordered an X-Ray rather than an MRI so I know it will be a lot faster.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of test
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:46:52 AM »
Hi,

Well, speaking for myself, I have had xrays and CT Scan on the head . . . .as much as anxiety and HA play a role, I felt much better having taken the step and having it done . . . I might suggest the following for you to consider:  when you go for the xray, if possible, bring someone along with you to distract you while you are waiting. Know that the xray is very quick. When you go into the xray room, tell the technician that you have anxiety . . . first, this is good for them to know because they need you to be very still for the xray and second, they will try and complete the task very quickly and third, well, you have included them in * your * circumstance so they will understand that if they have to wait until you are settled, then that will be okay. An xray does not take long.

Again, from personal experiences, anxiety can create daily headaches . . . .stress, muscle tension, a predisposition to migraines (I had to stop drinking wine, for example, because wine triggered migraines) can contribute to almost daily headaches including anxiety and HA and lack of sleep.

The way I calmed myself down was to realize, for me, that it was much better knowing what was going on than trying to exist in a reality of * maybes* --- maybe it is nothing; maybe it is X; maybe it is y, etc.

Even an MRI is not bad . . . I went with a friend who has a much higher anxiety level than I do and she ended up falling asleep while they did the MRI --- she went to a place that had an "open" machine which meant there was no "tunnel" effect and they gave her a choice of music to listen to . . . .

Right now, know that you are showing strength by going and finding out . . . .ask your doctor who did the requisition if it is possible for him to put a "rush" on the results so that s/he can find out the results. Sometimes it is possible for the radiologist to contact the referring doctor by telephone and then do a formal written follow up . . . it may be worth the inquiry . . .

Take care and know that you are doing the right thing . . . KC
Bookmark and Share

Offline SRD0288

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of test
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:06:39 AM »
Thank you very much, kconnors!

I really appreciate your advice. I know it's the right thing to do & will be best in the end.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: