Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Slurred Speech  (Read 740 times)

Offline _rai

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Slurred Speech
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 08:51:18 PM »
I experience slurry speech too when I'm anxious I think it's normal for anxiety/HA sufferers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline albert

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »
Hello guys, thanks for your replies.   I wish I could say I'm doing better but I'm not.  This is the second day I've missed work, this fear is really destroying my life.  I saw my psychologist yesterday but he didn't really help all that much.  He didn't really try to reassure me that I'm ok.  He said it might be or it may not be ALS, I'm seeing a psychiatrist today.   I don't know what to do anymore.   I don't want to lose my job but this fear is eating me alive... thanks for listening.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 38
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 02:03:13 PM »
Hello guys, thanks for your replies.   I wish I could say I'm doing better but I'm not.  This is the second day I've missed work, this fear is really destroying my life.  I saw my psychologist yesterday but he didn't really help all that much.  He didn't really try to reassure me that I'm ok.  He said it might be or it may not be ALS, I'm seeing a psychiatrist today.   I don't know what to do anymore.   I don't want to lose my job but this fear is eating me alive... thanks for listening.

Makes sense that a psychologist would tell you that since he/she has no medical training.  Also, the psychologist has probably recognized an addiction to reassurance and wasn't planning on feeding it.  Instead he/she was stating it may be/it may not be...learn to deal with the unknown.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline nabila12

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
Oh, Albert, my heart is truly breaking for you. Fortunately, when I went through my really bad ALS scare, I was still a college student and had already dropped out of school, so I had nothing but time on my hands to worry. I was prescribed 1mg of klonopin and it was as if I had taken some super powerful opiate. I was basically knocked unconscious the first time I took it. Luckily, I soon saw a psychiatrist after that and she cut my dose in half, so it helped with the anxiety without incapacitating me. I missed at least two days of work a couple of years ago because I was CERTAIN I had colon cancer. I spent two years with that fear, until a colonoscopy two weeks ago dispelled it forever. But you MUST find some way to get back to work. I am at work right now. I am not doing my job. Instead I am on an anxiety board posting about my fears of neurological disease, but I am physically present. Is that possible for you? Can you at least be at your desk or whatever, even if your mind isn't present, so that you don't get fired? I sincerely doubt you have ALS, especially after just one incident of slurred speech while you were tired. We all slur our speech from time to time. I know I do. Good luck, my friend.
Bookmark and Share

Offline albert

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 02:21:40 PM »
Thank you Nabila, I will try my best to be there tomorrow.  My bosses are really cool but they have a business to run.  I hate this, I see my friends and siblings, I don't get why I have to feel this way. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 239
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »
Hello guys, thanks for your replies.   I wish I could say I'm doing better but I'm not.  This is the second day I've missed work, this fear is really destroying my life.  I saw my psychologist yesterday but he didn't really help all that much.  He didn't really try to reassure me that I'm ok.  He said it might be or it may not be ALS, I'm seeing a psychiatrist today.   I don't know what to do anymore.   I don't want to lose my job but this fear is eating me alive... thanks for listening.

What do you think a psychologist is for? 

AS shawn said:

the psychologist has probably recognized an addiction to reassurance and wasn't planning on feeding it.  Instead he/she was stating it may be/it may not be...learn to deal with the unknown.

I agree.

I am pretty sure this statement will go over like a lead balloon, but here goes

your psychologist is not there to supply endless rounds of reassurance.  While a psychologist is there to listen, he/she isn't there to be used as a sounding post or as a tool for venting. That isn't therapy.  a psychologist is there to get YOU to see things differently, to encourage you to change your thinking habits.   As both my brothers in laws have told me  (one is a psychiatrist and one is a psychologist),  if the therapist is working harder than the patient, then therapy fails.

back in 1997 when I was going through my first MS fear and my only als fear, I saw a psychiatrist.   I told him I thought I had ALS.  By then it was als  cuz my MRI cleared me of MS so I had to switch to a new neuro disease.  I told him all of my for sure ALS symptoms---one was slurring--- and he LITERALLY laughed at me.  Well that pretty much woke me up on the ALS foolishness.    I am pretty sure he'd be laughing at anyone here believing they had ALS too.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: