Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Howdy folks I am new around here  (Read 190 times)

Offline mikewise77

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Howdy folks I am new around here
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »
Hello everyone. I figured that I should write an introduction post to let everyone know who I am. I guess I could post this either in the HA forum or the GAD forum but I figured since all my worries are always health related I'd post it here.

I am 36 years old and I have Aspergers Syndrome, that pretty much makes me prone to anxiety in some levels and it certainly has always played a role in my life but after I turned 30 I noticed an increase in horrible anxiety, and the panic attacks that I would only seldom get were hitting me every week, sometimes multiple times a week. I was convinced that there was something wrong with my heart but ER visits and tests including a stress test confirmed my heart was fine. I finally got exhausted after fighting it for a year and spent about 2 years on medication and once I had about a year stability I came off, have had recurrent episodes since but none as bad as that year.

Fast forward to now, I'm 36 and life is pretty good but my father just had his own real heath scare. He had to have a kidney removed due to cancer, he is fine and they got the tumor it was totally contained but since then I have had the same heart scares happening. I even visited an ER and they confirmed that I was not in fact having a heart attack when I was beginning to get worried that I was(tight chest, rapid heart rate, you know the drill) My Dr thinks I am fine but to put my mind at ease he is sending me in for another stress test. My BP has been tad high but nothing that is all that alarming especially considering my anxiety. When I was at the Dr it ran 145/85 but a few weeks before, with no anxiety my BP was great 120/78. I weigh about 295 but I used to be a lot heavier. 3 years ago I dropped 89 lbs and I am fairly active though in the last few month my activity level has fallen off some.

Today at lunch I walked a mile with no issue but then when climbing stairs I pushed myself into full blown painic/thinking I was going to have a heart attack. It lessened though and since then I've ran down and back up the same staircase without issue.

I am pretty sure that on Weds when I have the stress test the Dr will find that I have a strong heart with no issues and my issues are going to be primarily anxiety and stress related. My question is what in the heck am I going to do with my brain then? I don't want to fall into the cycle of allowing this anxiety to stop me from enjoying life.

Ugh, that's all I got to say about it is ugh. Thanks everyone.
Mike
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikewise77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Howdy folks I am new around here
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »
I have not had any responses on this yet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline doug65

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »
Occupy your mind.  Read, exercise, hangout w/ friends or relatives, take up a hobby...
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 220
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:19:48 PM »
Occupy your mind.  Read, exercise, hangout w/ friends or relatives, take up a hobby...

these things  ^^^^

anxiety affects not only our thinking but our bodies as well.  if one isn't careful, he/she can get sucked in the vicious anxiety loop of---fear-reassurance--

welcome aboard.  my nephew has aspergers as well.

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »
Hi Mike  :action-smiley-065:

I was just reading your post, I can totally relate to your situation, since I have already been there  :yes:

You wrote:

I am pretty sure that on Weds when I have the stress test the Dr will find that I have a strong heart with no issues and my issues are going to be primarily anxiety and stress related. My question is what in the heck am I going to do with my brain then? I don't want to fall into the cycle of allowing this anxiety to stop me from enjoying life.

For your next dr. appointment, I think you said Weds, I would strongly encourage you to printout - fill out  these Self-Quiz and take them to your next dr. appointment, and discuss with your doctor what type of medications and options might be available for your anxiety, so you can move on with your life and start enjoying it  :nature-smiley-016:

Here are the links:

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHpanic.pdf - Self Test for Panic Disorder.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHgad.pdf  - GAD – Self Test

http://www.anxietyzone.com/MENANDDE-coverpage(1).pdf – Depression for men

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,26.0.html – Social Anxiety overview

http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHocd.pdf - OCD - Self-test

Please keep us informed on your progress  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline mikewise77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »
Thanks guys,
Never Quit, my appointment tomorrow is with a Cardiologist to get a stress test done just as a double check that everything with the ticker is working as it should, next time I see my PCP though I'll do that :) He is a good Dr and he has a pretty good history of my anxiety. The one med I am actually thinking about trying is a low dose of generic Prozac as I have heard that it not only helps with the anxiety but helps with the compulsive side of the autism that I deal with.
Thanks again :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »
Mike,

I am currently taking Prozac at 40 mg with small amount of a benzo - valium 10 mg at night for the last over 15 years... with great results:

Check the Posting - regarding -Prozac at the link below:

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,90652.msg506142.html#msg506142

Good Luck Mike  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline jjZauis

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 03:47:58 PM »
hey Mike, welcome.    I can absolutely relate.   Actually, the reason I was scrolling through the HA board was because i've been having a pain in the upper left side of my chest, and of course, my mind immediately jumps to "im going to have a heart attack".   Only I've been dealing with this belief for a while now.  It's still scary, but it's not like I'm going to leave work and go to the hospital because i know nothing will turn up.   Sometimes it's a pain in this spot, other times I Just think my heart is beating fast or it's not beating normal or something.  The worst times seems to be when I'm alone and totally relaxed like watching TV or something.   My Primary Doctor did an EKG and said my heart is fine and that it's anxiety but I've been going back and forth with asking her to recommend a cariologist for me to see.   I've started Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and seeing a Psychiatrist who started me on Fluoxetine (Prozac) and I've been taking 20mg for a couple of weeks now.  While I'm still having a lot of anxiety I feel like the heart thing which was happening every day has started happening less.  Slightly less, but noticably.  I also have .05 mg of atavan to take when it gets really bad.   I should be taking the atavan now because I'm at that point but taking it feel like I'm "Giving in" as weird as that sounds.  And then there's the fear that if taking the atavan doesn't help, then whats next?  Anyway, I wish I had some advice for helping but I just really related to what you were saying.   I'm also trying to figure out a way to stop it from controlling me life, which it's been doing a pretty good job from preventing me from doing the things I like.  But it does make me feel less crazy and a little comforting to know I'm not the only one dealing with this.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: