Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Vacations  (Read 432 times)

Offline jjZauis

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Vacations
« on: July 07, 2014, 03:16:07 PM »
Most people spend all year looking forward to Vacations where they go away, I dread them like some people would dread surgery.   I can do day trips knowing that by the end of the day I'll be back in my own bed, in my 'safe space' if you will.   But knowing that I'll be away from my home, everything familiar, and all my 'safe spaces' for a couple of days always makes me worry.  The last time I spent more than a day from home it was two years ago, before that it was at least a couple of years.   I panic thinking about what I'm going to do if I get dizzy or light headed.   A fear that I'm going to cause the people I'm with (friends or family) to not have a good time or not be able to enjoy themselves because of me feeling sick or whatever.   In less then two weeks I'm going about 5 hours away for a little more than a weekend.   I'm going to be forced to be in situations that I know are going to be a trigger for anxiety like needing to take public transportation (subway, etc.) meeting people I've never met before and having to stay in their house, being at a concert a really big venue, etc.  Not to mention it's the summer and I just don't do well in heat.   I always kept saying I was going to cancel but then last month I realized I really can't cancel it at this point, so now every day all day I'm worrying about these four days.  Cancelling would let someone I care about down.   So I'm still acting like I'm looking forward to it.  What I'm looking forward to is the relief I'll feel on the way home when it's all over.  I hate living like this, I used to look forward to vacations like anyone else would.   I'm curious if others on here have issues with having to stay away from home or what people do to help when they're away to keep them from going into Panic Attack mode.  In the fall I'm also going to be forced to stay away from home twice.  I'm hoping that by then though the combination of therapy and new medication will be helping.  Hopefully.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Journey2Calm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Vacations
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:11:33 PM »
I feel the same way!  I used to love to travel and go on vacation, but not anymore!  I think it is great that you are going to go, despite your fears and anxiety.  I don't know if this helps, but sometimes I "trick" myself in these situations.  For example, I'll plan on 5 panic attacks a day while I'm there.  99% of the time! they won't happen then. That way, I'm not fearing the unknown.  I'm acknowledging that it can/will probably happen and that I'm ready for it.  Not sure if that makes sense, but it's something that helps me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline beldandy0331

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 02:03:13 AM »
i have the same situation too.. I'm too scared to go outside, especially i have a 2 year old baby with me.. but I am still trying to break that fear step by step.

two days ago, i did have a 4-hr entrance exam in a college.. while taking the exam, i did have panic attacks.. i tried my best to control it. i almost fainted but i notice, after the peak of the attack, it goes away by itself.. like nothing happen.. i just realize that i can really fight this thing..

and i am sure that your family understand your condition.

Bookmark and Share

Offline jjZauis

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »
Thanks for the response Journey and Beldandy.   

Yeah the one thing that I keep reminding myself of is no matter how much I was in a panic over the fear of fainting or having a heart attack, etc. it's never happened to me no matter how convinced I was that it was about to happen.  So that definitely helps.  My body adjusting to new medication is another story.  It's making me so tired, nauseas and easily agitated and overwhelemed all I can think about is how embarassed I'm going to be on this little vacation.   I'm still considering cancelling it even though I know that will have a whole slew of consequences.  I guess time will tell. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline theunrealme

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »
I have the same exact concerns that you mentioned jjZauis......I have fear of passing out and dying right there in a different state while vacationing but I have to constantly remind myself that, " I've been here before and nothing has happened, I work through the panic moments and I come out of it alive"      I do tapping the past couple of years and that really helps me   Try and picture yourself relaxing and enjoying the trip.........For me and my soon vacation--I'm trying to plan exactly what might come for me and I have my tools ready for any panic attacks...I also plan all the activities we'll do and that has helped me in the past too.       
Bookmark and Share
Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind puts me!

Offline jjZauis

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »
Thanks for the response! I hope you (and me as well) have good vacations without letting anxiety ruin it for us.   What do you mean you 'do tapping'? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline theunrealme

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 09:46:16 PM »
One of the therapists that I have had introduced tapping to me back in 2007 but I thought she was a quack job at the time...little did I know that tapping has helped me more than the years of CBT...so who is the real quack job;)   .here is a quick intro:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_Freedom_Techniques   I hope I'm allowed to add that on here--not sure of the rules.

I had a panic attack today out of the blue with absolutely nothing going on, beautiful day, walking with my daughter and whamooo---heat on the back of my neck....felt like I was going to die right there on the street and pass out and hit my head and my poor daughter would be freaking out..brain foggy and not clear....heart rate increased     felt like I wasn't getting enough air in (but I was, it's just how it feels) ..felt unsteady in my gait, but I used CBT and told myself repeatedly over and over again that I had been here and that this will pass.....then when I got to a store I went into the bathroom and did my tapping--miraculously it does help me too......... I should mention that many dr.'s have told me I need to be on some sort of medicine but I have anxiety about taking medicine that prevents me from doing that, so white knuckling this ***** really sucks for me--I wish I could (like my best friend ) take a pill and not let anything matter--she no longer has panic moments and she lets things slide easily off her shoulders.......but for me, the CBT and tapping help but today I wish I had a vice --just a pill to make this fear go away. My friend said I probably had the panic attack today because of the vacation we're taking soon and the added stress of knowing I won't be in my safe place (home).....anxiety sucks so bad sometimes --I wish I could just accept myself about it.       sorry for the rant
Bookmark and Share
Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind puts me!

Offline jjZauis

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 04:59:37 PM »
Yes Unreal, I really think a lot of it has to do whenever leaving a situation isn't easy to get back to my 'safe place' which is also home.   I try to challenge myself often though because I don't want it to get to a point where i don't want to leave home or something.

I did want to thank everyone who commented on here though, I went on the vacation and I had a BLAST.  I barely had any anxiety even though those 5 days involved things I would usually consider a 'trigger'.   It was shocking actually.   I think I just worried SO much about the 'what if's' it really brought on bad anxiety leading up to it.  But once I was there and in the moment it was perfectly fine.   It makes me a lot less anxious for the traveling I need to do in the coming months.   I got through it by challenging myself, and mentally continually reminding myself that it was all anxiety, that I was fine and I was safe and above all having the determination not to let Anxiety keep me from living my life. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Journey2Calm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 09:28:22 PM »
Jj - that's awesome!  I'm so glad that you had a nice time and feel optimistic about your upcoming travels.  I scheduled a vacation for Sept and I hope I'm able to relax and enjoy it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeeRuss

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »
If you went and had a blast then you're not that ill.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jjZauis

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 03:05:24 PM »
Thanks Journey!!

Dee I'm not sure what you mean by that. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeeRuss

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 02:32:46 PM »
I mean, you're doing ok! Relish it! It's such a great boost of confidence!

Any tips for me? I'm supposed to go away for a few days and CAN'T do the turn around and flee back home!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: