Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Heart anxiety 3 months how do i stop checking pulse!!!!?????  (Read 83 times)

Offline ryan clearwater

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can someone please help me? I can't stop checking pulse for the last 3 months....at least once a minute.

I am convinced it is too slow or too fast. I wake up in the morning and it is about 105 for about 30 minutes then drops to about 92 for an hour then stays at 84 until lunch
then drop to 70 which freaks me out as too slow.

This is how this all started i used to drink 5 beers to go to sleep and one night after hearing that a resting pulse should be checked in bed i decided to check my pulse as i woke up in the middle of the night and my pulse was probably about 110 i quickly jumped up and it started racing about 180+....i got over that and 2 nights later it did the same thing. i went to the ER did an EKG on both occasions where the said it was normal. I quick drinking 5 beers to go to sleep now only 1 and what really freaks me out is EVERY time i am going to bed and have even a single beer and jump literally jump into bed and turn to my right side real quick my heart will pause like a skipped beat then a few fast beats then normal or something like that. Is that normal?

This is ruining my life to the point i don't even want to plan a future as i feel my time here will end very soon.

Also since then i am obsessed with all kind of health related fears i found a little mucus in stool i also think i have cancer....found some horizontal ridges on finger nails think beaus lines.

My arms are so weak...i am so tired could that be from anxiety? 

If anyone ever did this with pulse how did you stop? I know it sounds easy but it's not.....I am desperate!

Thanks

Bookmark and Share

Offline zmichelle557

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart anxiety 3 months how do i stop checking pulse!!!!?????
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
Hey.  I know the fear all to well. I didn't really have anxiety until I had to go the ER for the worst headache of my life. That morning I found out I had high blood pressure after having my daughter.  In time my blood pressure returned to normal but then I started having panic attacks because I felt like I was gonna passout. Turns out my heart rate gets to low when resting. My typical heart rate while laying down is in the 50's and on rare occasions 40's. My cardiologist said that it's a slight low resting heart rate. The fact that yours is in the 70's is great. Even going as low as 60 is normal. When my heart was racing while resting it was usually because I was concerned about taking it. Or I woke up thinking about it. Your anxiety seems to be making your heart rate high while laying down. The best bet is to not take your heart rate at all. Unless you literally feel like you are going to pass out or something.  The average heart rate should be 60-80 while at rest.  This includes sitting and sleeping. (it can go lower while sleeping and it's fine) even if it's in the 90's while resting it's not that bad. When it's above 100 it's typically due to stress. Your heart rate isn't alarmly high from what I have learned. You also need to make sure you are drinking enough water and cut back on caffeine.  If you smoke do not take your heart rate within 15 min of smoking. The only way to stop fearing it is to stop taking it. Once you feel like you have control of the fear and it doesn't worry you to take it at rest try it then. I bet your heart rate is much lower than 100s. My heart rate at times while walking from one room to the other is 140. It's weird. Haha but the cardiologist also said not strange. It's all due to my anxiety.  When I'm anxious I also have weak or sore arms. I notice it's because I check my BP more and I also fidget with my hair non stop. Take it up put it down. It wears your arms out. Haha how do you check your heart rate? If you use a bp monitor that cuff can definitely cause sore arms if you do it often enough. Hope you feel better soon. Just remember to breathe and try not to check your pulse. To me you sound like you have a good heart that is functioning properly.  It's responding to stress like it should by going up and it's in the 70's like it should be while resting. Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:47:16 AM »
70 is a totally normal pulse rate.

Stop checking.  There's no real trick to it sadly.  You just don't do it when you feel the urge.  And at first you'll only stop yourself some of the time, but just keep telling yourself no, do something else until you're distracted, etc.  Like any other bad habit.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caller1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
I struggled/struggle with this ever since I started having heart palps back in 2011. You just have to focus on other things and not your heart.
Bookmark and Share