Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: anxious about rabies again  (Read 61 times)

Offline worriedjason

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anxious about rabies again
« on: July 06, 2014, 11:14:32 PM »
Hi. I found this site as I have had a few incidents in the last few years that have made me really freak out about rabies. The most recent happened today. I was washing my car and noticed a few red specks on the front grill/hood, like something had splattered. I took the soapy sponge and cleaned them off but then realized I put the sponge back in the bucket (or soapy water) as well as my hand. I guess my fear is that those specks were blood, though, I can't be certain. They could have been bits of berry or transmission fluid on the road or anything red, really. I do know I ran over some roadkill a couple of days ago driving through PA. Not sure if I am being silly for worrying..
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: anxious about rabies again
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:47:44 AM »
Hi welcome to the site :action-smiley-065:

I wouldn't worry because if you had run over roadkill a few days before any fluid would have dried and rendered any virus dead.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:59:40 AM »
You get rabies by getting bitten by a rabid animal.

Old dried blood doesn't transmit rabies. 

So yeah, a little silly ;)  Rabies is terrifying but it also extremely rare.  Think about how many people there are in the USA.  Then realize that the number of those people who get rabies yearly can be counted on one hand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GADawg87

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 02:01:24 PM »
I've extensively researched rabies due to the fact that it remains one of my main anxieties. The chance that you received rabies from blood off your car is virtually nonexistent, you can only get rabies if an infected source directly bites you. I know that it's a difficult thing to get off your mind, but just try to stay positive about the situation. I've been concerned about rabies lately because there's been multiple animals found in my area that have been infected, so I know that it's tough. However, just remember that you have to have direct contract with the source of the rabies.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: rabies