Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New member. Need help and support  (Read 147 times)

Offline Momo1

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New member. Need help and support
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:18:09 PM »
Hi! I am so glad I found a place where I can freely talk about my overwhelming anxiety disorder. I've had GAD for years. At one point I was what I would call fully recovered and happy. Now, I am truly in a tailspin and I am trying to stop it before it gets out of control.
I am 43 years young. I am a mom to a great 16 year old. I am also a young widow. My husband died suddenly last year. The shock wore off, reality set in and well, here I am. My GAD is back in full force and honestly, worse than ever. I never get a break from it. I was in counseling last year ( grief counseling) but it wasn't helping very much so I gave up on it.
I suffer from chronic headaches that yep, they are also out of control. I take 25 mg of amitriptyline every night. I was on it long before my husband died though. It's just no longer very effective. I work right now full time but will be leaving my job soon to go back to school full time and I have an appointment next month with a psychiatrist to address the anxiety issues.
I usually fall asleep ok at night. I just do not stay asleep. I wake up often during the night and it only adds to the exhaustion I already have. I saw my internist last month for a check up and had lab work done, thyroid checked and everything. All my labs were normal.
I try to get out and exercise. I do not drink alcohol. I quit smoking 7 months ago. I'm really trying hard here to do all I can do to pull myself back together. I just need a little help along the way.
Looking forward to " meeting" you all and hopefully offering my own advice along the way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LadyMint

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New member. Need help and support
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:27:26 PM »
Hi Momo1,
I am new here too.  Unfortunately I know little about anxiety having just discovered that it is what is affecting me.  You have a lot on your plate.  That is stress enough.  I'm sorry you lost your husband.  My mother and mother in law both passed this year and I am dealing with that grief.  I have a terrible fear of lossing my partner.  May your grieving be balanced with love and happy memories.  I send you a heart hug.

I hope others with more experience write answers. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »
Hi Momo1,

Welcome.

First, I'm sorry for your loss, you certainly are going through a lot this past year.

You mentioned that you fall asleep ok but you don't stay asleep. And your headaches are out of control.

Maybe you need a new med? Perhaps also go on an antidepressant? They do help with sleep. I'm on Prozac and Ativan (the latter for sleep).

Glad your labs were all good, but I'm sure you want some relief.

You mentioned amitriptyline. I'm not familiar with it, but, if you go to the drugstore, ask if you can take Melatonin while on it. Melatonin is great for sleep issues (as well as jet lag). It resets the circadian rhythm.
Take it an hour before going to bed for the night.

Good luck to you.
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 02:08:33 AM »
Welcome Momo  :action-smiley-065:

I am happy that you are joining us - this site has many great resources and wonderful people to assist you in your Journey to a brighter future  :nature-smiley-016:

I am very sorry for your loss  :(

And we pray for your quick recovery, healing and restoration of your body and mind and your family  :pray:

Now, that you are trying to move forward, We all have been on this path with anxiety and GAD, currently and also in the past. (like myself).

I look forward to hearing more about your progress   :grinning-smiley-003:, feel free to share your story - if you wish, since everyone here can relate  - including myself.

Again, Welcome and make yourself at home  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline {BIGGEN}

• Just Joined!
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »
Hello Momo and welcome!!! So sorry to hear about your loss!! I know the pain you must be feeling death is never easy and when its a spouse the pain can be overwhelming. I lost my brother last year to Liver cancer at a young 49 and not a day goes by that I don't think about him or what he went through before his passing. It's been 7 months now and I can feel my Anxiety creeping back into my daily life and its hard at times to pick myself up. Just know Momo that your not alone and I'm glad your here because this site has helped me a lot and I know it can give you comfort as well  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
"FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST ANXIETY"

Offline AfternoonRose

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 01:46:02 PM »
Hi there, you went through a lot, and yet you are here ready to help and be helped. I think that says a lot about the strong person that you are. One thing for sure, is that you will get better and things will improve, because you know how to be positive and because you take concrete steps (seeking professional help, going back to school) to be happy in your life. You've achieved a lot, and there are still lots you can achieve. So hang on in there, you're on a great path :)

And welcome to the forum, I'm new here too :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: