Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Zoloft and Klonopin... The quest for me continues...  (Read 299 times)

Offline comoso

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Zoloft and Klonopin... The quest for me continues...
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:26:07 AM »
OK, So I've been on .5mg klonopin and 62.5mg zoloft for 3 weeks now.  I was on 50 mg zoloft for 8 or 9 weeks before that.  Here is the thing, How do you tell the difference in anxiety and depression?  I know when my anxiety started it was simple to tell it was anxiety.  Massive adrenaline dumps, couldn't sleep, couldn't eat.  Now, I feel I'm just depressed.  Maybe the meds are causing it, maybe it's the cycle in my healing.  In the beginning I was VERY fortunate if I slept for 2 straight hours.   Now, I sleep for 12 to 14 and don't want to get out of bed.  I just dread anything, even the stuff I used to love.  I dread getting out of bed to go to the bathroom.  I dread getting out for anything.  I'm getting ready to get out of bed and go to church. 
I'm going to keep doing what I do and hope that someday this stuff leaves entirely.  But seriously, I see my psych on Wednesday.  I'd say the tides have turned from anxiety to depression is that what it sounds like to you guys?
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Zoloft and Klonopin... The quest for me continues...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:39:51 AM »
Hi - If you're like me you have depression underlying your anxiety. I think it makes sense that the anxiety would die down first with the zoloft. You are still on a very low dose of zoloft. It is a very good medication for both depression and anxiety but takes some time.  And most people seem to find their dosage at at least 100mg of zoloft. So hang in there. And please say a prayer for this group when you go to church today.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 04:25:01 PM »
Well, I laid down for a minute at 10:15 and woke up at 1:30 so no church today.  I slept for 12 hours.  Woke up for 1 and then slept for another 3 hours.  this is crazy.   Is this good for healing or?  I can't believe how much I'm sleeping.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 90
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »
Now, I feel I'm just depressed.  Maybe the meds are causing it,

It may be a case of not enough Zoloft and too much Klonopin, even though you're only on a small dose. All the benzodiazepines can trigger depression. How long have you been taking it?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:38:24 PM »
I took up to 1.5mg of xanax daily for 6 months.  That only dug me deeper into this mess.  I went to a psychiatrist then.  I was switched to lexapro and Klonopin then.  He started me at 1.0mg of klonopin per day.  I weaned myself down to .5, he still tells me to take 1.0.  I've been on klonopin about 5 months.  1st 9 weeks on lexapro and on zoloft since then. 

I'm hoping the zoloft is working and now the klonopin is sedating the heck out of me.  I used to take it and it just calmed me down.  I now take it some days I have no choice but sleep.  Thankfully this weekend was a holiday and I've been able to, but I've slept, probably on average 13-14 hours per day the last 3 days.  I see my psych on Wednesday.  I have no doubt that a lot of my anxiety is that I'm still on benzos as I've read far too many horror stories.  Which is funny, because I have 3 grandparents that have taken them for over 40 years.  BUT, They're just not working for me.  I can't function this way.   I know they've helped bring me a long ways, but I'm just not there yet.  I still suffer too many hours of the day.  All of the sleep, the feeling of not wanting to do anything, not want to get out of bed.  Is that depression?  It's a whole new feeling to me.  I've always been get up and go go go...  1year ago, if I woke at 430, I'd get up and go to work and get that much more done.  Now I just want to lay in bed and do NOTHING...
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 07:50:51 PM »
All of the sleep, the feeling of not wanting to do anything, not want to get out of bed.  Is that depression?

It could well be. If you'd only been on Klonopin for a short time I would have suggested you stop taking it to see whether it was the cause, but after 5 months this isn't wise even though you're on a small dose. Perhaps cut back a bit further to see if reducing the dose makes any difference.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 08:04:50 PM »
Thanks, Ian, I actually only took .25mg on Thursday wondering if that was the problem.  I woke up so incredibly depressed on Friday, I took .5mg at 10 am and slept from 1030 until 230. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 09:23:43 PM »
I actually only took .25mg on Thursday wondering if that was the problem.  I woke up so incredibly depressed on Friday, I took .5mg at 10 am and slept from 1030 until 230.

Klonopin has a half-life of up to 40 hours, so reducing the dose on just one day is unlikely to be a good indication. You'd need to be on a lower dose for at least a week. However, I also suspect Klonopin is what is keeping you anxiety free, not the antidepressant, so you may not be able to go a week without it returning.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 11:05:51 PM »
I'm hoping the zoloft is kicking in on anxiety and therefore the klonopin is knocking me out.  I have been on SSRI's for 5 months now.  Surely I'm getting something out of them at this point?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 12:31:58 AM »
Surely I'm getting something out of them at this point?

I suspect the Zoloft dose just isn't high enough to be doing much and the clue is that you seem to be depressed.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 12:32:48 AM »
Surely I'm getting something out of them at this point?

I suspect the Zoloft dose just isn't high enough to be doing much and the clue is that you seem to be depressed. It might be a paradoxical reaction, but it's a long shot.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »
Psych agreed Ian, I'm supposed to go to 75 mg tomorrow and we're heading to 100 now.  FINGERS CROSSED!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 09:03:42 PM »
Psych agreed Ian,

Great minds!   :bigsmile:

FINGERS CROSSED!!!!

You'll be fine.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 11:22:09 PM »
Crazy how this stuff messes with your system.  4 days of diarrhea from the leap up...
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 01:56:48 AM »
Crazy how this stuff messes with your system.  4 days of diarrhea from the leap up...

The gut is a much greater serotonergic organ than the brain. It makes and uses about 95% of the body's serotonin, the brain less than 2%. It should settle down soon.

Loperamide (Imodium) may help. It's sold through supermarkets here, but I believe it may be a prescription only med in the U.S.. Eating high fibre content foods should also help, rice is particularly good at absorbing the extra fluid in the gut, and remember to drink more water to avoid dehydration.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: