Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Family Dr or Psychiatrist? Who prescribed your meds  (Read 150 times)

Offline joe2014

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Family Dr or Psychiatrist? Who prescribed your meds
« on: July 06, 2014, 07:09:06 AM »
Hi - Just wondering who prescribed your medication?  For me it was my family doctor. Is one preferable over the other? Thanks.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Family Dr or Psychiatrist? Who prescribed your meds
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:14:13 AM »
Family doctor years ago and so wish he hadn't ! Long story short he told me I was depressed and I didn't feel depressed at all I went in because I kept breaking out into sweats at work and yes I had stress going on but not depressed so I tried a med he told me too and then one night I woke up thinking I was dying and was rushed to the er and it was the med he had gave me so since then I haven't been the same and lost my job back then I didn't know anything about meds so I think he should have told me that the med could possible cause panic attacks but I am not sure any doctors really go into full details about meds they give us.
We have to become our own advocate and do the research and learn all we can and be equipped with a list of questions for the doctors . 
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »
Always saw a pdoc when it flared up, then would end up getting the AD from a regular doc.  This time I have a pdoc again, and will stay with her so I don't have to look for another one if I remit and then it comes back again years later.  I also don't think I am on whatever will be my maintenance med, b/c I am taking a cocktail of sorts, but I hope it can be simplified when the anxiety/depression has been fully controlled for a while. One AD med always was enough in the past (I would start it with klonopin but then wean off the latter at some point) but this time it has been more complicated, so I definitely need a pdoc's expertise.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 07:19:26 PM »
Joe, this is an important question.  When I had anxiety, I first went to my GP cuz Iwas hoping she could get me Buspar.
And she did.  But as the buspar failed to have the effect, she didnt really know what needed to be adjusted or explored.
So I asked if she could recommend a psych.

I went to see him wanting to try Klonopin.  After some discussion, he agreed.  After 3 weeks, it's working great.

I love my GP but I don't think she had the knowledge and experience of a psychiatrist to strategize my meds.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeeRuss

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 04:33:24 PM »
I starting seeing my GP because he's one of the only Doctors in the U.S. that I know of - that practices the Ashton Method. Ashton is a Neuroscientist in the U.K. who came up with the best method to withdraw from Benzodiazepines.

I had been on Klonopin for almost 15 years and no Psychiatrist knew how to help me - especially when the Klonopin wasn't working anymore. I have been to many Psychiatrists - some very high esteemed - and had a Harvard educated Psych tell me to "just stop taking it." To me and to anyone who knows anything about Benzos, you can't just stop them. You can have seizures. I went through a downward spiral because of him and couldn't sleep for weeks. Of course I had to find someone to yet again, put me on Klonopin.

Fast forward years later to my GP. He got me off of Klonopin in 3 days. Yes, 3 days! He did this by switching me onto Diazepam (Valium) which has a much smoother withdrawl and a much longer half life.

But now that I've cut down so much (you must take months if not years to do so), I've been having some anxiety issues re-appear and had to take more to calm down. I'd like to see a Psychiatrist just to get some good advice on what to do but in my experience, they either A) OVER medicate you - something my GP doesn't like to do or B) Tend to think that anxiety and panic attacks aren't that serious and therein don't take the medication management that seriously.

I did have a WONDERFUL Psychiatrist (keep in mind, I'm in the NYC area, and you'd think there'd be a plethora of the best Psychs around - not in my experience!) who was willing to work with me and even called me from his Hospital bed to check on ME even though he was very sick and ultimately passed away a few days later. There was no better Doctor than he.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's not easy to find someone who is right for you. It could be a GP (btw, my GP is an Internist) and/or it could be a Psychiatrist. But how many do we have to see to feel better?

Bookmark and Share

Tags: