Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Viibryd HELL & Chinese Medicine  (Read 179 times)

Offline mblair

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Viibryd HELL & Chinese Medicine
« on: July 05, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »
Okay, so some of you might remember a couple mths back when I posted here with my story/history. For a refresher (Im a long time panic disorder/agoraphobia sufferer who was on Celexa for about 7 years HAPPILY when all of the sudden it quit working. I was told it had "washed out" and  was prescribed Viibryd.)

Fast forward to now...8 weeks later and let me tell you I am in pure HELL!  :traurig001:

This has got to be the WORST medicine I have ever been on other than Paxil...and it tops it! From horrible demonic nightmares every single night, sleep paralysis, tongue going numb and electrical storms going through my head EVERY SINGLE NIGHT to this weeks added issue...SEVERE discomfort/pain in the feet to the point I cant walk!

Im scheduled to see a new doctor (psychiatrist) this coming Wednesday but have started the weaning process as of last night.

I am completely disgusted with the inability of doctors, manufactures etc to come up with a drug that simple helps the issue instead of causing people to live in utter misery with CRAZY side effects. Im at the point I wasnt to completely wean myself from ALL medicine and just try something new.

I have done CBT, more times than I can count...been on tons of different meds. Nothing has ever worked (with the exception of Celexa which worked and worked WELL for years and years unless I missed a dose..and a 30# weight gain)

I am now wondering about Chinese medicine and acupuncture. At this point I dont know what to do but Im tired of being on these drugs that cause more problems then they help and apparently Celexa was the only one that worked for me.

What has everyones experience been with this kind of thing? Also interested to hear if any of you have ever experienced SEVERE joint pain in your feet from an SSRI?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Viibryd HELL & Chinese Medicine
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 12:26:06 AM »
I am completely disgusted with the inability of doctors, manufactures etc to come up with a drug that simple helps the issue instead of causing people to live in utter misery with CRAZY side effects.

The problem is that the neurotransmitters of the brain are also used in the rest of the body, sometimes to a greater extent, for example the brain makes and uses less than 2% of the serotonin found in the body, the gut about 95%, with the rest found in blood vessels and platelets and the skin. The only way to prevent these side-effects is to redesign Homo sapiens.

Several of the major drug companies have abandoned research into psych meds and the others have it on the back burner because these meds are uneconomic in the current litigation and anti med climate so the likelihood of any major breakthroughs anytime soon are remote. The only new meds in recent years have been SSRIs combined with a Buspar like chemical which is what Viibryd is, or slightly more refined versions of older antidepressants, for example, Lexapro (escitalopram), Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) and more recently Fetzima (levomilnacipran). Neither approach is going to revolutionize anxiety and depression treatment.

Nothing has ever worked (with the exception of Celexa which worked and worked WELL for years and years unless I missed a dose

You might be able to get it to work again by supplementing it with Buspar. This med will sometimes kick start a pooped-out SSRI.

Also interested to hear if any of you have ever experienced SEVERE joint pain in your feet from an SSRI?

Joint pain is a known infrequent Viibryd side-effect.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:55:59 PM »
I feel your pain of a good med failing after years and then trying to get it or something else to work again as well w/o side effects.   Not an easy thing to do, but be assured that you will find something or somethings that will let you feel better eventually.  Maybe not as fast as you want, but in time.  As for acupuncture I tried it once, it was somewhat relaxing but it isn't going to cure a serious anxiety disorder IMO.  Also Chinese medicine is basically herbs and stuff, some of which may have therapeutic effects, some of which do not, and some of which may actually be harmful.  For example red yeast is well known in Chinese medicine for lowering cholesterol levels, it does work, but the active principle is a statin drug, and not the most effective (in terms of efficacy and side effects)) at that.  Plus there is no way to guarantee the medicine's purity or quality, would you trust the food in China right now, so why would you trust the medicines any more  (not that there is enough oversight of the so called natural remedies here in the US either to be honest)?  If there was a Chinese herbal medicine that totally worked without side effects trust me we would know about it by now.  The herbs that do have an effect (valerian, St Johns wort, kava) all have significant side effects and/or drug interactions, and they are no more effective, and often less effective, than pharmaceutical grade medicines.  So work with your doc on an alternative AD since Viibryd does not seem to agree with you, maybe with a long acting benzo like klonopin to ease the startup symptoms for you until it works if needed. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 06:24:02 PM »

I am now wondering about Chinese medicine and acupuncture. At this point I dont know what to do but Im tired of being on these drugs that cause more problems then they help and apparently Celexa was the only one that worked for me.

What has everyones experience been with this kind of thing? Also interested to hear if any of you have ever experienced SEVERE joint pain in your feet from an SSRI?

I have been getting acupuncture for years....I started getting it for back pain- turns out acupuncture works for a variety of things, including anxiety, depression, allergies, etc.

Definitely give acupuncture a try. I like auricular acupuncture, where they also place some needles in your ears, as well as the body. I love it.

My acupuncturist also showed me how to use acu press tacks and acu seeds, and there's a great book called Acupuncture's Potent Points that also show acuPRESSURE points that are the same as acupuncture.

The book is available at the Library, or you can purchase it for your device. It's got illustrations and shows where to put needles or apply acupressure.

I like to also use my meditation app by Glenn Harrold - the one called Beach is great for when I have an acupuncture session or apply the seeds/tacks myself. I just did it a little while ago and it helped big time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 06:25:12 PM »
PS..I should add: I do not do herbs because of my meds. Acupuncturists understand that not all people can use herbs. No pressure at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lfiasche

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 07:37:05 PM »
I also had a bad Vybrid experience. Your not alone ! Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:58:12 AM »
Hi mblair, it's Snoopy10 (I responded to your other post). I have done acupuncture/herbs off and on for years. It works great for physical ailments.  It didn't do anything for my anxiety but I don't think it's impossible. My view is to try anything. You said in your other post you were trying vitamins/pharma GABA. Will you keep us posted on how that works? 

The best acupuncture/herbs experience I had was when I was having bad gastro issues. The Chinese medicine doctor gave me these paper bags filled with what looking like bark, twigs and dried berries. I cooked it, drank the tea (not kidding, I gagged the first time) for a few months and I was cured. Not just symptom relief but CURED. And the problem has never come back in the really bad form that it was in. However I did ask the doctor about anxiety and he said eastern medicine has different views on psychological issues so I'm not sure that they have a cure for anxiety. That being said, a more forward thinking acupuncture doctor that mixes western thinking with eastern practices might have cooked up a better solution.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: