Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Should I be afraid of having RABIES?  (Read 268 times)

Offline Frenchy612

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Should I be afraid of having RABIES?
« on: July 05, 2014, 06:15:22 PM »
Hi AnxietyZone. To start off I would like to say that I am a 19 year old college student, male, who was diagnosed with OCD and anxiety disorder since I was 11. I am also a hypochondriac (I think?). I take 40mg of Prozac once a day in the morning.

My anxiety has been fine. But even since last week, it has gotten really really bad. There are A LOT of plausible contributing factors to me getting my anxiety again. I have also developed a HUGE fear of:

* Having rabies
* Being allergic to anything such as food or drugs (even acne cream)
* Being sick with a terminal disease that my doctor does not see

It all started two weeks ago when my skin doctor prescribed me Clindamycin Phosphate and Benzoyl Peroxide Gel, 1%*/5%. I've always had a fear of trying new drugs because I am afraid of overdosing. So I applied the gel to my face and it felt fine. Then I went to lay in bed and started to get some anxiety. After my throat felt kind of tight and it felt like something was in it. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to it (I'm only allergic to one thing that I know of and it's a sort of antibiotic, but my skin doctor knows this). I panicked the entire night and barely slept. I didn't' use the cream since.

A few days after that my parents had to leave to Georgia for ten days so I would be the only one in the house, thus having to look after my three dogs. This gave me some anxiety alone. I didn't want to to leave, but I didn't tell them that because I didn't want to be a bother to them (what a huge mistake). When they left, I went on my computer and played games for a few hours (I haven't had anything to eat or really drink so far). After I went to hang with my friend and we went to a pizza place. I ordered two Jamaican beef patties and ate them at my friends house. A few hours or so after eating them I felt a little nauseous. I then threw up in his bathroom twice. Whenever I walked a bit I felt slightly nauseous so I drove back home.

Needless to say, I was freaking out, constantly worrying about why I threw up. I was having a really bad panic attack I tried to call my parents but they weren't picking up. I went online to look up diagnostics and symptoms I was having (I know, a bad idea) but that didn't help. I cried myself to sleep that night. When I woke up I felt a bit better. But when I walked I still felt a bit sick. My other friend asked if I wanted to go out to eat with him and I said sure. So we went to a buffet. I took myself some fried rice, bread, and lo mein. I was only able to eat a few bights because I would feel really sick whenever I swallowed and I had trouble swallowing my food which scared me even more.

I then went home and called my parents. After crying and arguing a lot on the phone, my parents decided to call my friends parents and have them pick me up and stay at their house so I wouldn't be alone. I was only to eat one or two bites of pasta that they served me, then I went to sleep on their couch. The next few days sucked. Basically my dad flew back over on a plane three days later to come stay with me because I was still constantly scared shitless. An overview would of what happened was:

* Didn't eat anything for three days, but drank a good amount of Gatorade
* Had a fear of just dying in general or dying from starvation or from dehydration
* It's still difficult for me to swallow

**I went to see a doctor about the fact that I threw up and told him how I had problems swallowing and havent been eating much. He told me he's sure its my anxiety and told me to get 150mg anti-acid tablets and take those before bed to help with my throat and difficulty swallowing because he believes I have a gastro-something something (not sure what the word was) problem because I felt pain when he pressed on the middle of my body, and lower left.**

Now fast forward to today, I am now able to eat without trouble and drink without trouble, nor do I feel sick anymore, BUT:

* My throat still feels tight sometimes
* My swallowing feels weird, like I'm not swallowing entirely
* I have a HUGE fear of having rabies (which I will get into next paragraph)
* And I'm afraid of having liquids or solids stuck in my lungs
* My stomach burns and throat burns sometimes and I get pains under my lower left rib and lower middle part of my body (6 inches or so above my belly button)
*Sometimes feel slightly lightheaded or nauseous

CURRENTLY, the thing I'm scared about the most is rabies. I am now thinking of all these times I could have been exposed to it or gotten it from something. It goes as follows:

* A month ago, I was catering at someones house for work and my friend was walking in front of me when all of a sudden a bat (I'm pretty sure) flew right in front of him from out of a bush and flew away. I was right behind him. **What if that bat bit me or something without me noticing or I somehow got infected from it when it flew by because it was so close?**

* Later that day when I had to stand at a table outside to serve food to people, I noticed something dripping two or three times on me. I felt a drip on my head, but it wasn't raining and there weren't any clouds out. Then I felt a drip on my arm, but then it stopped. There was a tree right over me and some branches over me. **My fear is that maybe it was a bat and it salivated on me or bit me or the saliva got on a open would when I was serving?** 

* The next thing that happened, about 3 weeks ago or so I think, I was at my friends house and they have a small dog. It has always been a nasty dog. Whenever me or my other friends would try to walk around or go up the stairs it would try and nip at our feet! Well this time when I didn't have any shoes on, I walked up the stairs and it managed to bite my foot (can't remember which one but most likely left foot). I don't know if it drew blood because I wasn't worried at the time. **Now I'm so scared of getting rabies from there dog, I don't know if it is up with its vaccines or not but I do know their dog is currently fine to this day. I'm so worried I could of gotten rabies from the bite!**

* Another thing where I'm afraid that I was exposed to rabies was when I was at my friends place. I went outside when it was dark to get something from my car. When I closed my door, while pressing (I think, not sure) I felt a quick half a second prick to my middle finger. There wasn't any blood that I could see. When I went inside I noticed that when I pressed down that there was a super super minuscule red pin dot on my finger. It was almost like it was under my skin or something. **Now I terrified of it being a bat bite!!!**

* Last Tuesday I woke up and saw I had a few red dots on both my arms and hands (but not my palms), but nowhere else on my body. I'm freaking out about this too! There still on my, but kinda faded. Obviously I'm having a fear it's because of rabies.

*And finally, I noticed when I had some dried up blood or something on my head. I'm so scared of it being a bat bite that dried up!

I'm sorry this post is so long! I've just been keeping this all bottled up for a few weeks and can't even function normally because of it. I am in total constant fear. Please help me!

**tl;dr Got sick thus getting anxiety back. Now have huge fear of rabies and being allergic to anything. Can't function normally because I'm so scared. Read the post for details!
That's my story so far. To recap on my CURRENT symptoms they would be:
-Palpitations
-Headaches
-Tight throat
-Weird swallowing
-Burning in chest and stomach sometimes
- Sometimes lightheaded
- Afraid I'm going crazy from rabies!
- Red dots on arms (not a lot)**
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dragi316

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Should I be afraid of having RABIES?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
I got to be honest there seems to be a epidemic on this board of people who think they have Rabies . I understand the fear can convince anybody they have anything but I can tell you rabies is so rare that it's almost unheard of to get it in America these days . I wouldn't worry at all unless you were in India and bitten by a stray dog or bat
Bookmark and Share

Offline niehaux

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 09:31:52 PM »
Hi hello! College students unite on anxietyzone, it seems :laugh3:

Anyways, I have to agree with the previous poster, there are a ton of people concerned about rabies on the boards it seems (myself included, as I posted about my fear of rabies last night, haha). I really do think, though, that you have nothing to be worried about. The rabies virus is very rare in itself anyways, so the chances of you having been exposed to the virus through a random incident such as one of those you described is very unlikely. A lot of people talk about how the probability of that happening is less than you winning the lottery, which I think is also a good way to phrase it, haha.

Your symptoms are most likely just from your anxiety. Especially since you seem to be very distressed, it's not unlikely that your mental state is taking a toll on your body. A lot of times, as I bet you know, when you become fixated on symptoms of a certain disease, sometimes you then think that you're developing said symptoms, which is really never the case.

I really don't think you have much to be worried about. Try to get some rest and relax! If you're really, really concerned, it probably can't hurt to discuss it with your doctor, as then they can hopefully put your mind at ease. Best of luck! :bigsmile: 
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 10:03:01 PM »
Frenchy

I know exactly how you are feeling I was there 20 years ago and like you went through all that. I can tell you part of my story. My father passed away suddenly 21 years ago and his brother passed a few weeks later. I guess it was stress but about a month after all that I was sitting outside at my boyfriends mothers house at sundown and saw a bat flying over head. After a while I felt a bite on my ankle and swore it must have been the bat. Well that started it all the panic and thought of rabies. I went to my MD who advised against the shots andith  for the next 15 years every time I felt something wet I thought saliva and like you I worked as a waitress and outside. I could barely function and couldn't eat or drink and was sick throwing up and swore I was dying. All your symptoms believe me are constant panic attacks. You say you are taking Prozac so If I were you I would speak to your doctor or therapist perhaps you need your meds tweaked but I can honestly say I wasted 20+ years of life with this irrational fear and now I am on the right meds and have a wonderful doctor and therapist. I hope you can freely speak comfortably with him/her because what you need is the tools to help you get past this vicious cycle of what if thinking and the panic attacks since they actually do take on the symptoms of the very illness you fear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 10:26:04 PM »
You mentioned clindamycin. Did you take it?

If you did, that "could" be the reason for the spots on your arms. Even people who aren't allergic to it seem to get rashes from it. I know because my best friend had to use clindamycin from the dentist.

Within 24 hours, he developed a few bumps on both arms....within 48 hours, he was covered from head to toe in this rash. I took him to the doctor, who gave him prednisone and told him to stop the clindamycin.

As for the dog and rabies, it is a law in the US that all dogs, cats and ferrets be up to date on rabies vaccines. Vets keep records of this. Some vets give a 3 year vaccine, others give a yearly.  Even if a few months to a year is missed, dogs are still protected but vets do send letters to the owners because dog licenses have to be renewed and  the only way is with the rabies vaccine up to date.

As for cats, after 2 vaccinations, they seem to be protected but vets still make it mandatory for cats to get vaccinated.

Ferrets also must be vaccinated.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I do think it might be the clindamycin and your anxiety, of course.

There are some great people here at Anxiety Zone who can relate to the rabies.... I'm sure they will see your post and help you.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 01:10:36 AM »
Like a lot of the stuff that goes on around here, it's an irrational and unjustifiable fear to have. Unless all of these people posting about it are having encounters with RABID AND WILD animals like bats or raccoons (that act ODD and NOT normally), I don't know why people worry over getting it... well I guess I DO know why, but this particular fear seems pretty "out there".

The canine strain has been "eradicated" from the US, there's a reason why there are strict laws regarding pets and animals in this country! They don't take it lightly. It's just not common at all (least here in the US, in other foreign countries, I read it's more of a concern) and not something people need to fret over on a daily basis...

So no, you shouldn't fear having rabies cause my best bet is that you don't and NEVER EVER will. You need to seek help if this is taking over your life so much.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 04:10:14 PM »
I also have the same fear as you but my medication makes me so happy and not care for anything anxiety related or symptoms. I think that you have anxiety about a lot of irrational situations for the dog has to get his vaccines up to date by LAW in the Untied States. As for the bat, bats don't care for humans you probably just disturbed it out of its hiding place trust me they would rather be eating bugs than biting you. They were out in the night and that's healthy so they're healthy. When I used to have anxiety I did also have a weird swallowing feeling, it's anxiety not rabies trust me I get it a lot even when I'm not actively anxious. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than dying of rabies in the USA. Your fear is taking over your life... you should see the post, there is one that's in the orange section labeled "This list is a lifesaver!" and it lists A LOT of symptoms that anxiety can cause, you should read through it you will be suprised!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Tags: rabies