Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: still cannot trust my doctor- gum concerns  (Read 169 times)

Offline anfieldheroez

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
still cannot trust my doctor- gum concerns
« on: July 05, 2014, 10:50:18 AM »
Hi, i still have problems trusting my doctors and its killing me. I had noticed a rough sandpaper like texture on my upper gum of the front tooth. Its not rough as sandpaper but its rough. I have bit darker gums on some parts as i smoke. Questions in concerned with:

1. Is this gum cancer?

2. What could mean by thickening of gums? Is my symptom considered as thickening?

3. I have seen 2 oral surgeon, one has 35 years experience and the other 12 years. I had wanted a biopsy fone but they refused saying its normal. Should i get a 3rd opinion?

4. How accurate can 2 opinions be?

pls help me guys- ive never felt this bad and screwed up before.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: still cannot trust my doctor- gum concerns
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 11:15:23 AM »
this is a common concern here at AZ and with people with HA.  we don't trust what qualified doctor/s tell us.  we want invasive tests etc to prove we are well.  odd thing is that usually doesn't work anyway.  if we believe the doctor or test, the disordered thinking, more often than  not, moves to a new disease fear.  so this suggests that reassurance--via family/friends/forums/docs/medical-----simply is not a valid way to fix our thinking disorders.  We have to find a better way to deal with our anxiety.

So, what I believe is:  you've seen two qualified med pros..  OBVIOUSLY this rough area is NOT a sign of cancer.  I know because, well, oral surgeons darn well know what oral cancer looks like.

You certainly could seek additional opinions from other oral surgeons OR you could see what is really the issue--anxious over thinking---and begin addressing that.  It is a difficult road to hoe, to be sure.  but so well worth it.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline anfieldheroez

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
Thank yo for your reply. It feels nice that you understand but ha is making me go crazy..this year has been my worst and my mental capacity has become real bad.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »
no one wants to feel like they are going crazy.  the thing you have to decide is what are you willing to do to get the HA under control?   
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline mikeyafraid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 06:14:03 PM »
Hi, i still have problems trusting my doctors and its killing me. I had noticed a rough sandpaper like texture on my upper gum of the front tooth. Its not rough as sandpaper but its rough. I have bit darker gums on some parts as i smoke. Questions in concerned with:

1. Is this gum cancer?

2. What could mean by thickening of gums? Is my symptom considered as thickening?

3. I have seen 2 oral surgeon, one has 35 years experience and the other 12 years. I had wanted a biopsy fone but they refused saying its normal. Should i get a 3rd opinion?

4. How accurate can 2 opinions be?

pls help me guys- ive never felt this bad and screwed up before.

Unbelievable! I had this same exact problem. Only I was a chewing tobacco user for 8 years. This is exactly where my HA started! I went to the best ENT in the Philadelphia region who assured me without a question of a doubt that it was not cancer. I doubted him, until he turned around and told me that he is a cancer survivor! And he knows the feeling, and there is NO way that he would let me down on this issue. Though i still doubted him. I went to my Fam Doctor for a check up where i mentioned it again. He said it was nothing. I even got my mouth checked in the Philippines where even they assured me as well, that it was nothing.

This sandpaper feeling is something i get all the time! And its from having hot foods or sweets! I bet your constantly checking in the mirror like i was with a flashlight in my mouth constantly. But i feel your pain! 35 years old, And only a smoker, you have a better chance at winning the lottery then that being gum cancer. Its probably so scary for you to make that appointment with the docs. But get it done the relief you will receive will be awesome!
Bookmark and Share

Offline anfieldheroez

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 05:51:23 AM »
hi i thought i provide an update.

of course i couldn't trust the doctors and i insisted on getting a biopsy done from the 3rd doctor that i saw. I just got the biopsy results from him on the phone( i had called his office first to ask if the results were in and i was told he wld be calling me back with them in an hour or so) and everything was good. BUT i was to have an appointment with him next Tuesday cos he wanted to make sure the biopsy wound was healing properly AND now i think that he lied to me about the results cos he doesnt want to freak me out that i have cancer and that he will tell me i have cancer during my appointment itself. WTF is wrong with me?

I have tried to rationalize my thoughts and thought process but nothing seems to be working. Anyone got any ideas? And the doctor wasn't lying right?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: