Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: scared to take tylenol?  (Read 130 times)

Offline Rose~

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • ~Fear is the only thing that can hold you back~
    • Poke This Member
scared to take tylenol?
« on: July 05, 2014, 04:03:08 AM »
I am so uncomfortable right now. My anxiety has been under control for months up until now. I got a really bad headache, so I went looking for the medicine I always take. It's weird I know, but I still don't take pills, i take the liquid acetaminophen stuff, it always works for me. Sadly, we don't have any, just pills of tylenol. My last pill experience ended in gagging, so I cut it into fourths. I started off taking this tiny, miniscule piece and was getting ready to take the other bigger pieces and get it over with. I was celebrating that i got the tiny one down when not even a minute later i had one of those heart palpitations that feels like your heart stopping for just a sec and then going again. It scared me and i decided to stop there. I thought, was it the pill? That piece was so incredibly tiny and it happened not even a minute after i swallowed it, but still... a part of me wonders. My head is killing me and it's almost 3 am, and I'll never get to sleep with this headache. What do i do? I am paranoid that i'm having a bad reaction to the pill. I thought, "if a miniscule piece did that, imagine what the whole thing would do..." i'm probably just overreacting, but i'm still scared. I had the palp like 30 min or so ago, and it might have just been me but for a while my chest felt jumpy. It sort of still does but i'm sort of distracting myself on here, so i don't know... in my eyes, i see it like this: either i take the pill and risk dying and maybe live to get over my headache and go to sleep, or i don't take it and play it safe and suffer through the night in pain and sleepless but alive. I just don't know what to do! I just want this headache to be gone and also to not die, lol. Like i said, i always take a medicine cup full (you know, the plastic cups that come on the top of liquid medicine) of acetaminophen like motrin, and i've been doing that since i was very young. Are tylenol pills really that different? As i type, i still feel a bit like my heart is beating weird. I dunno if it's me or what. I'm just scared to death to take the pill. Anyone else with cardiac anxiety have this problem? I am only 16, i hate always being scared soemthing is wrong with my heart. I feel like you just never know... :(
Bookmark and Share
"I'm happy about who and what I am, and I can't wait to find out who I'll be tomorrow."- Joyce DeWitt <3

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: scared to take tylenol?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 07:07:02 AM »
I doubt that a small piece of tylenol that was in your system less than a minute caused a rapid heartbeat - it was most likely your anxiety over taking a pill.

Please be aware that you don't have a physical problem taking pills - you swallow bites of food every day much larger than a tylenol - your pill issue is a mental block.  The easiest way to swallow is to take and swallow a large drink of water the put the pill in your mouth and take another large drink of water - swallow it while putting your chin to your chest - this will elongate your esophagus making it easier to swallow.  Then take another large drink of water.

Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: