Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Rabies Anxiety  (Read 120 times)

Offline niehaux

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rabies Anxiety
« on: July 04, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »
Hi everyone!

I actually joined this site because of this incident (after spending last night and a significant amount of time today lurking on here trying to reassure myself).

I live in Michigan and I was up north at my friend's cottage from Sunday until Thursday and I came home yesterday afternoon. While we were up there, my friends and I bought some fudge to bring back with us, which we left out on my friend's counter while we took a nap. After my friend and I woke up, we noticed that something had tried to break into the fudge (my friend's has been opened and looked like the animal had tried to take a bite out of it and mine just had some puncture holes on the container)

Anyways, we put them in the fridge and didn't think anything of it. Then, the next day, I took the food back with me and had a piece last night, which then sent me into this ridiculous panic.

My fear is that, somehow, the animal that tried to break into the food was rabid and left some saliva on the packaging when we picked up the food, or that it left some on the food which I then ingested. We have no idea what kind of animal tried to eat the food, although I think it was a squirrel or chipmunk because my other friend saw one in the house earlier. They did have raccoons in the cottage like 3 weeks before we got up but they had been taken care of and we saw nothing indicative of the animals while we were up there.

I know this is completely irrational but it's driving me crazy with worry :( my dad told me not to worry about it and that I'm fine, but I'm still upset. My mom is coming home soon (she's up north with my brother currently) so I might talk to her about it then and see what she says, but I know that she'll agree with my dad. I know it's ridiculous but I'm considering calling my doctor to get an opinion just to get some peace of mind >:(

Literally any opinions on this would help. I have been doing so well with my health anxiety that I didn't even think it was a problem but now I'm being consumed by fear and wondering if I should have gone to the doctor sooner.
Bookmark and Share

Offline zmichelle557

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rabies Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »
From what I have learned about rabies is that once the saliva is dry then the virus is dead. Also, if it was a mouse or something there has never been a case in the United states of a mouse giving  person rabies. They believe the reason why mice don't give rabies to other animals and humans is because they are so small that if they were attacked by another rabid animal it would almost immediately die. I honestly don't think you could get rabies considering that the saliva was probably dry and if something were to get in it then it probably wasn't rabid since most rabid animals don't want to eat or drink. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline niehaux

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »
I've been feeling better since the whole initial freakout happened, but I'm still definitely nervous. My friends also ate the food and handled the containers so, I suppose, if one of us were to have been exposed, it's likely my other friends were too.

I try to be a really rational person and I know that this fear is so blown out of proportion that it's ridiculous, but it's still going to eat away at me until I can get over it (hopefully sooner rather than later). I keep thinking about the fact that there were raccoons in their cottage a couple weeks before we came up, and maybe they were still there and broke into the food :|

When my mom comes home I'm probably going to talk to her about it, since I feel more comfortable talking to her than my dad about these things. I might call my doctor just to talk to them about the incident, but I'm rather embarrassed to do so and they generally don't take concerns from 17 year olds very seriously.

Thank you for your advice though! I'm hoping I'll get over this soon :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikeyafraid

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 06:24:44 PM »
2 people die of rabies per year according to CDC. There is no way. Absolutely no way!
Bookmark and Share

Offline niehaux

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:11:17 AM »
Ah, well, I sure hope there's no way!

I know it's completely irrational of me but HA takes over pretty easily in situations like this. I've been feeling better since the incident happened though :) thank you!
Bookmark and Share