Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has Anyone Experienced This Before?  (Read 318 times)

Offline ThomasForces

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has Anyone Experienced This Before?
« on: July 04, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
*WARNING, this post is going to be fairly long*

Around 3pm today i called a local Crisis Support Team because i had a panic attack because of my thoughts and state of mind.

I calmed down and i read some things online about anxiety, i looked into the more common symptoms instead of the more complex ones, ones that pertained towards thoughts and such.
My thoughts unfortunately are extremely frightening and they manifest into feelings.
Maybe i think too deeply? and that fuels how i feel and think?

Regardless.
Some of these feelings i recognize from a long time ago, ive had anxiety for almost 5 years now. But back then they were dulled down from the medication that i had. Maybe now that im not could it be that my anxiety is running rampant?

The way i Feel/Percieve/Think makes it hard to believe that this can only be anxiety.

One thing that i have noticed is that when i think of things or the thoughts that come into my head it makes the feelings worse.
Like if i get mad/irritated/sad or yell or even any of my quarks (like everyone has) i immediately think the worst and the thoughts feed off of that and then they all flood into my head. The same goes for my Feelings.

The thoughts are often repetitive/obsessive, they are all mostly about the same things/subject.
Then i start to feel horribly about everything and myself.
When all of this happens my head feels very congested with thoughts..not so much racing thoughts but extremely full of thoughts, feels like the inside of my head is congested with them and filled to the brim with questions/feelings/assumptions/negativity/second guessing/over analyzing and Concern. Mostly all bad.

I think of these things and they really make me scared and the more scared i get the more the thoughts get worse and my mind at that point has like almost convinced itself of something and i end up sitting there and dig deeper and deeper and then i feel nuts.
That will go on and on for most of the day.

What i fear the most are the more major mental illnesses and it feels though my mind is like yelling or mimicking the symptoms of whatever im afraid of.
Absolutely Terrifying.

Someone please comment back, soon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GoldenFalcon202

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Before?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 05:48:10 AM »
Yes, I think I've had quite a bit of what you've written down. I don't usually have panic attacks, but quite a lot of thoughts you have.

Like if i get mad/irritated/sad or yell or even any of my quarks (like everyone has) i immediately think the worst and the thoughts feed off of that and then they all flood into my head.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I'll give it a shot anyway in case you can relate to it. Whenever I get angry or irritated-like, say my mum's nagging me to do my homework every five minutes, or my friends promise they'll do something and they don't-I immediately assume I can't be angry about that, because being angry means you're going to snap and do something awful, and that if you're angry you're going crazy. And if I ever felt down or sad for whatever reason (sometimes there's hardly any reason at all), or if I wanted to stay in bed for a few more hours, I'd immediately assume I have depression, so I'd try so so hard to cheer myself up and I'd get out of bed early to prove to myself that I don't have depression. And of course when I'm trying very hard to be happy and my mum's nagging me to do my homework or my friend's say they'll do something and don't, it all adds up and I get angry or irritated with everyone aaaand the whole thing starts again. ^^''

The thoughts are often repetitive/obsessive, they are all mostly about the same things/subject.

I honestly have no idea if this is true or not, but the way I see it is that OCD feeds off of what you're the most scared of-so for example, if you have a fear of germs, OCD will feed off of that, and if for some reason after a few years or something either your fear of germs decreases or another fear becomes bigger, OCD will switch over to your new fear and start on that instead. So if you've got a very big fear-for example, mine's death-you'll be obsessing over that the most.

I think of these things and they really make me scared and the more scared i get the more the thoughts get worse and my mind at that point has like almost convinced itself of something and i end up sitting there and dig deeper and deeper and then i feel nuts.
That will go on and on for most of the day.

It's almost like...say I told you 'think of pink bumblebees dancing with sheep in a field.' You're immediately going to think of pink bumblebees dancing with sheep in a field-I'm not exactly sure why, there's probably some confusing scientific explanation out there somewhere-but everybody would think of pink bumblebees dancing with sheep in a field. So when you're getting scared of your thoughts, many people want to stop thinking the thoughts-and so of course, your mind helpfully pops up the thoughts again. It could also be that because you're getting so worried over them, your brain flags those thoughts as 'important'-such as the thought of 'I'd better look both ways at a road before crossing' is flagged as important, so you do it automatically.

You're not going nuts, at all. People who are genuinely 'nuts' either don't know they are, or don't really mind. The fact that you're so worried over it is proof that you're perfectly sane.

Have you tried distracting yourself? Like, watching your favourite film or reading a good book? It might take a while for you to fully get into it with your thoughts going off and on all the time, but it might help.
Sorry if that was really unhelpful   :sad0141:
Bookmark and Share

Offline ThomasForces

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 10:15:03 AM »
It wasn't unhelpful at all,  it's just so hard to find someone who experiences this :(
Bookmark and Share

Online StudentOfHope

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:18:12 PM »
Hi Thomas,

I can definitely relate your your obsessions (thoughts) pertaining to fearing major mental illness.  In your post, you'd mentioned that your thoughts repeat/exaggerate whatever you're most fearing/afraid of at the time.  And, that your emotions/feelings become more intense as the thoughts become more intense.

I don't know whether this is what you're experiencing, but, when people experience the height of anxiety (panic mode) while having tons of obsessions crowd their mind- your feelings of panic, anxiousness, sadness, anger can definitely heighten.  This is literally a physical response to all of the chemicals that release into your body as a result of your brain sending "alert! alert!" messages when feeling super anxious/tense.  Of course, this cycle can be really hard to break out of.

Without knowing exactly what obsessions you're having and wanting to respect your privacy, I can say I relate to what you're going through, in the way of my obsessions crowding my mind at times, and, the obsessions fixating on wacky thoughts as pertaining to having a severe mental illness.  There are many other individuals who've posted to this board with similar fears.  It might help you to perform a search on this message board for specific terms/fears that you experience.  You're likely to come across other folks who've gone through similar things! 

I think it is so important for people to stay connected with others, especially when experiencing extreme anxiety/OCD is spiking.  It can really help to stay connected to the community of people who somehow understand, even if they haven't gone through the exact same thing.

I hope you've found some peace or answers in the last few days since you've posted. 

Best,
-A
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 12:49:20 PM »
Hi Thomas, :action-smiley-065:

Let me know if you find this helpful, I know you are in a SCARY Situation - Good News - Nothing New - Many people have experienced this problem and the best news - there are SOLUTIONS  :grinning-smiley-003:

I posted this in the past - which I went through and yes I have personally experienced this "Nightmare" for a couple of years, before I got the correct medication to fix the chemical imbalance in my brain.   :spineyes:

=============================================================================================
Yes! ::)  - I call this the "Twilight- Zone State" B-; -  I had these before we had common medical terms we now call  "Depersonalization" and "Derealization"

I was originally diagnosed with Panic Disorder and OCD and GAD - Once I started the medication - 6-8 weeks later this "Twilight- Zone State" B-; - disappeared along with my Panic Disorder, and later after 6 months or so, at higher dosage my OCD finally disappeared.  In my experience, all these disorders appear to have a common root - a chemical imbalance in the brain - that for me was quickly corrected by using an SSRI medication - compared to years of unproductive CBT therapy.

Here is what the Mayo Clinic states:

Symptoms of depersonalization include:
•   Feelings that you're an outside observer of your thoughts, feelings, or parts of your body,  as if you were floating in air above yourself
•   Feeling like a robot or that you're not in control of your speech or movements
•   The sense that your body, legs or arms appear distorted, enlarged or shrunken, or that your head is wrapped in cotton
•   Emotional or physical numbness of your senses or responses to the world around you
•   A sense that your memories lack emotion, and that they may or may not be your own memories

Symptoms of derealization include:

•   Feelings of being alienated from or unfamiliar with your surroundings, perhaps like you're living in a movie
•   Feeling emotionally disconnected from people you care about, as if you were separated by a glass wall
•   Surroundings that appear distorted, blurry, colorless, two-dimensional or artificial, a heightened awareness of your surroundings
•   Distortions in perception of time, such as recent events feeling like distant past
•   Distortions of distance and the size and shape of objects

The exact cause of depersonalization-derealization disorder isn't well-understood. However, it appears to be linked to an imbalance of certain brain chemicals called neurotransmitters, which can make a brain vulnerable so that heightened states of stress and fear may lead to the disorder.

While there are no medications specifically approved to treat depersonalization-derealization disorder, certain medications that are used to treat depression and anxiety may help. Examples that have been shown to relieve symptoms include fluoxetine (Prozac), clomipramine (Anafranil) and clonazepam (Klonopin).

Hope this information is helpful  :action-smiley-065:

If you feel this getting out of hand, by all means see your doctor or better yet a psychiatrist - the can become your greatest allies  :yes:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Tags: