Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: cold turkey quitting antidepressants.Can it kill you??  (Read 182 times)

Offline MR PA

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
cold turkey quitting antidepressants.Can it kill you??
« on: July 04, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
Im on paxil 10 mg atm and been on it for about 4-5 months and i got on it to treat some IBS problems i was having and it pretty much help but i had issues with the paxil.I get real moody with some anger at times and ill cry and sometimes feel real zoned out and sick.

This just started getting worst about 2 weeks go and ive tried quitting 3 times now..

In the past i could get off antidepressants pretty easy with a day or too incresed anxiety and flu feeling but this time with paxil is a DAMN nightmare and ive tested to see if it was paxil withdrawl.

Yesterday i cut the pill to 5 mg and took in the morning by 6pm i started feeling anxous and by 9pm i started feeling dope sick.

Cold/hot couldnt think stright,dizzy,throwing up,Insane panic,muscle pain,headache.So i take the other 5 mg at 11pm.I just couldnt take the withdrawl anymore.WITHIN 15MINS!!!! most of my symtoms when away.THATS ADDICTION.:( 

So i really want off this damn pill fast i already as a benzo addicted 19 years i dont want another.

So my question that was my topic.Would cold turkey quitting a SSRI kill you????I know it will feel like it would.
Ive heard benoz cold turkey quitting can but i have heard no storys of SSRI quitting killing someone.

Ive read you get SSRI withdrawl syndrome that can last 2-8+ weeks

PS sorry from grammer problems....Any replys will help and even linked sources would help also
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: cold turkey quitting antidepressants.Can it kill you??
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
Hi I am not expert but if I were you I would do a real slow taper. I would take 1/2 a dose one day a week and wait 2 -3 weeks and go down a 1/2 dose again by one day cutting down a half dose one day every 2-3 weeks until it is 1/2 dose every day then cut down to no pill again one day a week for 2-3 weeks and see it that works under your doctors supervision.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 06:15:08 PM »
It won't kill you but its a bad idea to stop abruptly. If you are determined to stop, you should make that clear to your doctor and do it in the least dangerous way possible.

Because its not gonna be pleasant. Stopping abruptly with no support will make it... much more unpleasant.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MR PA

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »
yeah i cut it from 10 mg to 7.5mg today and like clockwork at 8 pm i got super sick:( i think im dying
Bookmark and Share

Offline niehaux

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »
Hi there!

I've been taking Lexapro for almost 5 years now. I was diagnosed with severe GAD when I was around 13, and I'm turning 18 shortly. I can tell you that there's been times where I've stopped taking my medicine completely cold turkey, for even a month or two at a time, and I did not die. It wasn't very pleasant and I experienced a number of withdrawal symptoms, but after a week and a half or so, they started diminishing and I was just fine. I'd also like to note that I'm on 30 mg of Lexapro which is a fairly large dose.

If you can help it, I'd recommend tapering off them slowly. Definitely don't do what I did or you won't feel very great, haha.

Best of luck!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:57:45 PM »
My wife is a long time pharmacist and she said to consult your physician.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline MR PA

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 11:22:13 PM »
My wife is a long time pharmacist and she said to consult your physician.

yeah i have to wait till monday or tuesday but not you got me kinda scared.....

Are you saying i could die from it.Im not even trying to get off it at this point till i see a doctor but im still getting withdrawal stuff.

Im 100% sure its paxil related,for some reason it feels like the 10 mg starts to die off around 6 pm and i get what i would call dope withdrawal ,my ativan does help or my kloapin,the other relief i get is if i take like 2.5 or even 5mg paxil..

Im scared shitless and when i went to the hosptial that say everything looks fine EKG,and bloodworks.
holiday weekends :( what a mess
Bookmark and Share

Tags: